Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melted Plastic on pipes  (Read 4642 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Melted Plastic on pipes
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »

My buddy showed me his exhaust pipes this weekend. He'd ridden home one day, and a white plastic bag blew up onto the exhaust pipe. It instantly melted of course. Now it's the ughliest looking black spot you ever seen. Has anyone ever ran into this? What will remove it?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Melted Plastic on pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:53:38 AM »

My buddy showed me his exhaust pipes this weekend. He'd ridden home one day, and a white plastic bag blew up onto the exhaust pipe. It instantly melted of course. Now it's the ughliest looking black spot you ever seen. Has anyone ever ran into this? What will remove it?

Try oven cleaner, but don't put the rag in your pocket afterwards ;D (sorry Dean, couldn't resist)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:01:08 AM »

Go here for explantion of rag in pocket effect.   :huepfenlol2: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=13109.msg204336#msg204336

Glarepro

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:58:42 PM »

There is a thread here in this section of the forum that touches on this subject.  Its the "How to get Heel mark off pipe" thread.  I copied and pasted my post from there to here.  No need to retype everything twice.   ;)

Before trying some of the more aggressive suggestions like using Acid, Goo, Razorblade, and such, try cleaning the burn mark area first with a good degreaser (GLARE Turbo Action Wheel Cleaner is an Excellent choice since it is a non acid formula). Next give the burn mark a good rubdown using the GLARE Knockout Compound, dig deep to get it all out.  That normally works 9 out of ten times, and its always best to try the safer route first before trying something that could scratch up and ruin your pipes like razorblades, acid and what not.  In the worst case scenario if it doesn't work, you'll have the best scratch and oxidation remover for your paint in your arsenal for when you need it, then you can always try plan B which would be the razorblade and some acid LOL! (and even if you do in fact have to resort to plan B you can use the GLARE Knockout to remove any residual burn stains that may be left on the pipe). But Im sure that it will work and that you wont have to resort to plan B and bust out the blowtorch. LOL!   8)
You can buy it here.
www.glare.com

w4p2

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »

Had a similar problem when rain gear touched and melted on the exhaust.

Scrubbed it of with a suger cube. Works on crome surfaces on any
"impossible to clean" stains better than anything I have ever tried.
Does not srcratch the crome.

good luck: w4p2 :)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:37 PM »

I recently hung my helmet from my right foot peg while visiting a local watering hole. When I came back I noticed that the helmet had slid over and was touching the exhaust. Now I have some ugly melted plastic I'm trying to remove. I researched the site and this thread popped up. A sugar cube huh? Since this thread is 9 years old I am wondering if there has been any new methods of removing burnt/melted plastic from exhaust pipes?

Evo

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »

I recently hung my helmet from my right foot peg while visiting a local watering hole. When I came back I noticed that the helmet had slid over and was touching the exhaust. Now I have some ugly melted plastic I'm trying to remove. I researched the site and this thread popped up. A sugar cube huh? Since this thread is 9 years old I am wondering if there has been any new methods of removing burnt/melted plastic from exhaust pipes?

Evo
I've hear a Magic Eraser also works. I've been lucky enough to not to try to have to use one.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »

Acetone will normally just wipe away the largest part of the residue as it dissolves the plastic just like the heat did. Or start bike and let it heat up and remove largest part of the residue with a clean cotton rag. What is left will usually come off with a little chrome polish or similiar.

mark

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »

A buddy melted his boot on a rental bike and was able to get the melted heel off the pipes with a product made for removing melted heels from exhaust.  It was an HD product he found at the dealership.

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:07:29 PM »

blue-job works well check these videos out

2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 24 queries.