Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Honest negotiating price discussion  (Read 18691 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Honest negotiating price discussion
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »

I (we) need help.   I am looking at purchasing a 2019  SERG.   I do not have a trade and the dealers are stuck on list price with a 1599 set up and only 15% off about $5500 of add on stuff .

I am wondering  what others are seeing and/ or if I should push harder on this.  BTW this is a cash deal.

You would think they could do better than that.

WHAT ARE YOU ALL SEEING OUT THERE?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Honest negotiating price discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »

the 19s are fresh out of the mill, they aint going to budge much if any on price... but if you wait till they get close to the expiration date you can do better.  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »

the 19s are fresh out of the mill, they aint going to budge much if any on price... but if you wait till they get close to the expiration date you can do better.  :nixweiss:

Good point but what are we seeing now for pricing?  Seems that the mark up would allow for a little better final price.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »

press harder for more throw ins.  services, esp, etc.  and show them this:

also, see if they'll cut you something for financing.  they'll get more if you finance, they get a cut of that.  cash is no longer king.  (nothing says you can't pay it off in a month or two....)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:49:29 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »

PM SENT
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »

At the beginning of the model year MSRP is a fair price.  The $1599 additional dealer profit item they call prep is total BS.  As for the add-on accessories, if they don't want to cut you any slack buy the stuff elsewhere.  In today's market customers don't need to kiss up to a dealer, and they definitely don't need to overpay for something that will depreciate 20% when you roll it out the door.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »

I would ask if they would give a better deal if you finance. Not sure if you are trying to purchase in the state of Wisconsin but if you are they cannot keep you from paying off the loan early, there is no penalty in the state of Wisconsin for paying off a loan early. And they cannot charge you a penalty if you do pay it off early.If they give a better deal financing when the first statement is due just pay it off.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

2019 cvo street glide MSRP plus dealer markup $48000.

Add on tax, license
That puts it at about $50000!

WTF?
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:44 PM »

Take the msrp, take out 15-20% add on freight and that would be a good start point.
JMHO
HOGMIKE

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »

MSRP plus freight tax title license.  The 1599 is just added profit.  Negotiate that way, or find another dealer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »

I would ask if they would give a better deal if you finance. Not sure if you are trying to purchase in the state of Wisconsin but if you are they cannot keep you from paying off the loan early, there is no penalty in the state of Wisconsin for paying off a loan early. And they cannot charge you a penalty if you do pay it off early.If they give a better deal financing when the first statement is due just pay it off.

This is similar to what I've done on the two CVO's I've purchased.

Both dealerships knew I was going to pay them off and asked that I make three payments before paying the loan off.

According to the two the different dealerships, they only get their kickback on the financing if three payments are made.  So promising to make three payments would be something to mention.  It may get you a few bucks more off.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:36 AM »

G'day bbrown,

Comments above are correct, its near impossible to move them off MSRP especially early on in a model year. The dealer set up charges are different and are usually around $4-450. $5,500 for extra bits is also something they can bring down as they are charging you full freight on all that shiny (or blacked out) stuff. At $1500 for set up it sounds very much like they are bending you over a barrel mate, and while this is their job you do not have to go along with it.

Temper your desire for your new toy with some patience, do some research and get the numbers. A little 'caveat emptor' goes a long way in helping you make an informed decision and should leave more money in your pocket for fuel.

I recommend you go online & find several dealers (it does not matter where they are located, they will still sell you a bike), who are advertising at MSRP and email them to get a quote for an out the door price including tax, title, etc in your state. Also get a separate quote for your additions (Boardtracker HD will be 20% cheaper for that stuff out the gate & some dealers will match that price if asked), also ask what the labor cost for adding your shiny bits is & then you have your bottom line. You then tell the dealer you are currently negotiating with that if they don't match your best quote you will be forced to take your business elsewhere as they are not competitive. If they come to the party all is good and if they don't then buy it from the best quoter & fly there to pick it up. Bonus is you get a nice ride home on the new ride to start with.

The best time to buy is at the end of the month when they are trying to improve their units sold number for the month as they become a bit more inclined to negotiate.

Good luck mate.

Cheers Tom

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »

You have to be  willing walk & wait unfortunately.  Shopped for 6 months around SoCal and every dealer wanted 5K plus above sticker.  Finally found a dealer having a Demo day and ended up with a bike 200 under sticker out the door with goodies.  No other dealer was close!  Finally, as others have said in above posts I believe financing is better than cash when dealing as most dealers are marking up at least 2% over your credit buy rate.  That's a couple of 1000 for the dealer depending on the deal numbers.  Example: they run your credit and you come back approved @ 5% ….they then say we got you approved @ 7%.  So instead of the dealer funding 45K after down payment they fund 47.5K.  Just pay off early as others have said because interest is front loaded.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »

Think just like you’re going to a car lot, be ready to be insistent on what you want. In days past it was more relaxed and fun “working “ with a dealer, these days not so much. The dealers still wish we need them more than they do us but, Now have realized that’s not the case and they are panicking behind closed doors and fighting for every last dollar.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  You would think on a 50k purchase they could do better than list and 15% off add ones.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.