Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag organizers & lights for Road King CVO  (Read 3911 times)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
Saddlebag organizers & lights for Road King CVO
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:20:38 AM »

Trying to organize the saddlebags and tourpak for my '08 Road King CVO. The dealer says the HD organizer for the bags won't fit the FLHRSE because of the locking mechanism. Has anyone found an aftermarket source for organizers, leather tourpak wall organizers, etc.?

I also want to add LED lights to the tourpak and the leather saddlebags. HD makes one but calls it out for hard bags. Has anyone had any luck adapting the HD one or another sources units? They'd need to be quick-disconnect capable.

Thanks in advance
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Saddlebag organizers & lights for Road King CVO
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:57:55 AM »

Trying to organize the saddlebags and tourpak for my '08 Road King CVO. The dealer says the HD organizer for the bags won't fit the FLHRSE because of the locking mechanism. Has anyone found an aftermarket source for organizers, leather tourpak wall organizers, etc.?

I also want to add LED lights to the tourpak and the leather saddlebags. HD makes one but calls it out for hard bags. Has anyone had any luck adapting the HD one or another sources units? They'd need to be quick-disconnect capable.

Thanks in advance

Don't think you'll find that any of the organizers or HD LED lights will fit the leather bags/TP on your SERK.

One possible option for LED's is Custom Dynamics....many of us with the 06/07 SEUC's have their Flexible LED strips on our leather T/P.  It would be easy to make them quickly disconnect.  They are installed with the 3M peel off sticky tape.  The wires are very small, so a very tiny hole is all that is necessary to stick the wires into the T/P or in your case the SB's.

The flexible array can be ordered in almost any length, set up for run/brake, just run, or just brake.  Also with either a red cover or clear.  If you order them in a custom length, they come with the ends installed, ready to stick on.  Clean the leather with alcohol/water (50/50) for good adhesion to the leather.

The other option a couple of folks have done is to find a used set of hard bags, take them to a GOOD painter, and have them painted to match the bike.  HD will NOT sell you painted to match hard bags for the SERK, nor will they give you the paint codes for your bike, but a good painter can match.  Then you can install the spoiler type LED's on the bags, also painted to match by whoever does your other paint.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »

If you get and decide to try that three light tour pak/saddlebag light kit you'll need to find out a few things.  Preferably find them out first before the $$$ are spent.  But one way or the other you'll have to find them out.

First off all three lights mount on the tour pak.  The lights for the bags mount on the bottom of the pak and shine down in the bags.  That means your only quick disconnect point to create will be a two wire connection carrying power and ground in to the tour pak.

Power and common will go first to the light that is inside the tour pak.  Part of that light is the logic board to control time for the other lights (if you leave them on they'll shut off automatically).  So everything feeds first to that light in the tour pak lid and from it back down to the other two that shine in each saddlebag.

The pair of lights that shine in each saddlebag won't be a big deal.  You'll just need to drill two holes in the bottom of the tour pak in a position that puts the lights over the bags.  The light inside the tour, however, will force you to be more creative.

It's "stock" bracketry is made to attach around and as part of the tour pak lock assembly.  There is no reason you couldn't Dremel off the extraneous metal and take an "adhesive approach" with whatever is left that you need to just stick it in some convenient spot in the tour pak.  But you will have to create some kind of adhesive or other mounting for that master light inside the tour pak.

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:02:39 AM »

Thanks for the replies. The leather bags are a challenge and SERK leather bags are harder yet. But still, a hell of allot better than the bags I've rigged up on softails and my lady is much happier being able to actually take a few things when we ride! I've got some idea's for the lighting and will repost when I've worked them out.

'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »

I can't help on the organizers but if you're not set on LED lights (I assume to see what's inside the bags),  I would eliminate the wiring and disconnect and just get some little battery powered lights that stick on.  I think the MOCO now has them as well as auto supply stores.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »

Sorry...my brain automatically went to exterior lights...duh!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »

I bought the organizers that fit in the lid of the saddlebag; they are the ones designed for the custom which have the same dimension bags.  The size of the organizer widthwise extends over the upper edges of the sides of the main part of the bag when closed, resulting in requiring more pressure for the latch mechanism to work.  This appears to distort the shape of the lid slightly and widens the gap in the rear of the bag to about a ½”.  The bags are far from dust free in the first place and I thought this would allow way too much dust in so I took them right back out.

Gregg

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.