Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Matching helmets  (Read 15765 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Matching helmets
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »

In my opinion it doesn't matter what color or style you have. It's up to You and you alone! :2vrolijk_21: By the way, welcome to the site and you have a great taste in motorcycles! :D :bananarock: God Bless! :2vrolijk_21:

X2

I'll share my own experience and observations.  I've been riding a whole lot of years and have been through a couple or three helmets in my time.......they all look like they've been kicked down the road a few times.  Things just happen.....they fall off the seat, get knocked off the dresser in a hotel, etc. etc.  My experience.

Those that have the matching helmets (wether they match the bike or each other.......some color other than black) seem to have the same experience with me, if they've had the helmet very long.  If you're going to get a colored helmet like the wing riders......pay attention to how they maintain them.  Every time they stop the helmet goes in a cloth bag and padlocked to the bike.....constantly polishing them with a microfiber, etc. (I mean the whole helmet, not just the shield).  My observations.

If you wear matching helmets then you have to wear matching shirts (otherwise you've lost the effect).  And if you're wearing matching shirts then you have to both wear them either tucked in or untucked. And if you're both wearing them tucked in then you have to have matching belt buckles.  And if you have matching belt buckles then you have to both...............

Just some things to consider........ :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »

We bought matching silver helmets this summer. I forgot how much cooler silver is than black. Been many years since I have had a full face type and while wearing in the rain I suddenly remembered one of the best reasons for wearing one. We are very happy with the N90's just took awhile getting used to flippin it up and down. Oh yes hafta get a new chin piece cause it flew out on the way to Tahoe. :oops:

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »

X2

I'll share my own experience and observations.  I've been riding a whole lot of years and have been through a couple or three helmets in my time.......they all look like they've been kicked down the road a few times.  Things just happen.....they fall off the seat, get knocked off the dresser in a hotel, etc. etc.  My experience.

Those that have the matching helmets (wether they match the bike or each other.......some color other than black) seem to have the same experience with me, if they've had the helmet very long.  If you're going to get a colored helmet like the wing riders......pay attention to how they maintain them.  Every time they stop the helmet goes in a cloth bag and padlocked to the bike.....constantly polishing them with a microfiber, etc. (I mean the whole helmet, not just the shield).  My observations.

If you wear matching helmets then you have to wear matching shirts (otherwise you've lost the effect).  And if you're wearing matching shirts then you have to both wear them either tucked in or untucked. And if you're both wearing them tucked in then you have to have matching belt buckles.  And if you have matching belt buckles then you have to both...............

Just some things to consider........ :nixweiss:

Keeping your helmet in shape is not necessarily a bad thing.  It almost sounds like yours are essentially useless in a crash according to Snell, anyway.  I'm sure you've heard their take on helmet damage (below - from their website);

"Because of the different layers involved in how a helmet reduces the impact of an accident, coupled with the fact that the part that absorbs most of the impact is not even visible, a drop of anything higher than 1 - 2 feet onto a hard surface can, effectively, render a helmet useless as protection in an accident - even if there is no visible damage."

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »

I think the quality of the helmet is more important than the color  :nixweiss:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »

Shoei Multitech comes in a Blue color that's pretty close.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »

Shoei Multitech comes in a Blue color that's pretty close.

That is the one I have now in flat black... very happy with it... not a bad idea to replace it with the same one.

I was hoping to get some additional features like the internal visor, anti-fog, and integrated communicaton, reason why I am thinking of going with the Nolan N-104 next year when it is time to replace my current Shoei.

If Nolan carries over the same colors as of those in the N103, there is one close as well:

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

Honda bashing seems to be sorta in the vogue here.  Does it make you feel big or better than them?   :oops:  I realize this may be good natured banter and such, but there is a point where I feel the need to speak up.  I met a lot of very nice people riding those bikes and don't regret one minute.  I rode Goldwings for the past eight years and can tell you they are one hell of a bike.  

The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives me a laugh. But my wife and I would never do that.  Most Wing riders wouldn't  Oh, that's right we both wore black leathers and black helmets, so I guess we did dress alike.  Even so, if they want to look ridiculous, that's their choice.  It has not got a fippen thing to do with the bike.  

I'd bet just as many disparaging comments can be made the other direction.  But quite frankly, not worth the effort.  Everyone has the potential to ridiculous to someone else...  

I love my CVO, but it's unfortunate this attitude prevails about Wing riders.  I do not share it.  Matter of fact, I believe a number of members of this group still own Wings.  So, does that make them lesser than, when they ride them? We are not our bikes. We are people who choose a particular mode of transportation that happens to be very similar.  Nothing more.

To me, all bikers are my Brothers and Sisters, regardless of what they ride.  We share the love of the open road and a mode of transport that isn't for everyone.  That brings us together, not divides.  Hell, if my garage and wallet were big enough, I'd have just about every type for whatever mood I'm in...just saying.

Nuff said.  
:pumpkin:

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »

:soapbox:   :jack:   :tekst-toppie:  :ROFLOL:

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

:soapbox:   :jack:   :tekst-toppie:  :ROFLOL:

So getting back to topic...

My wife rides her own bike... and she decided what helmet she wanted to use.  Having matching helmets was never in her mind.  She likes purple and pink... I don't.   ;) 

She currently has an open face helmet that is her favorite, and a flip up full face... both in black and pink.

Use what you like, forget what others think.  ::)
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »

Hey JC......you keep everything else clean & bug-free........why not your helmet?  It's part of the whole deal if ya wear one you know.  I'm thinking you need a microfiber cloth in the saddle bag to keep that lid clean.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »

Honda bashing seems to be sorta in the vogue here.  Does it make you feel big or better than them?   :oops:  I realize this may be good natured banter and such, but there is a point where I feel the need to speak up.  I met a lot of very nice people riding those bikes and don't regret one minute.  I rode Goldwings for the past eight years and can tell you they are one hell of a bike.  

The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives me a laugh. But my wife and I would never do that.  Most Wing riders wouldn't  Oh, that's right we both wore black leathers and black helmets, so I guess we did dress alike.  Even so, if they want to look ridiculous, that's their choice.  It has not got a fippen thing to do with the bike.  

I'd bet just as many disparaging comments can be made the other direction.  But quite frankly, not worth the effort.  Everyone has the potential to ridiculous to someone else...  

I love my CVO, but it's unfortunate this attitude prevails about Wing riders.  I do not share it.  Matter of fact, I believe a number of members of this group still own Wings.  So, does that make them lesser than, when they ride them? We are not our bikes. We are people who choose a particular mode of transportation that happens to be very similar.  Nothing more.

To me, all bikers are my Brothers and Sisters, regardless of what they ride.  We share the love of the open road and a mode of transport that isn't for everyone.  That brings us together, not divides.  Hell, if my garage and wallet were big enough, I'd have just about every type for whatever mood I'm in...just saying.

Nuff said.  
:pumpkin:

I think Buy Early made his comment in jest (at least that's the way I took it) and I followed suit.  Yes, The Kooky things some Wing riders do or wear, especially as couples, always gives us a laugh.

I rode a Goldwing just long enough to know that there's an attitude amongst Wing riders about those Harley riders, too.  :nixweiss: 

So you and your wife always wore matching helmets and big black leather jackets..........just like most of those dam Harley riders. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »

Eagleye...I think most folks are saying all this with tongue firmly in cheek.  There are the stereotypical 'Wing riders, BMW riders (one piece Aerostitch suits), and of course, HD riders.  With exceptions, most people here don't GAS about what other people ride or wear, and if something is said, it's mostly in fun.  I promise you that you can find the same type of comments on 'Wing sites, BMW sites, Ducati sites, Star sites, etc. etc.  Even on Vrod sites.

Personally, I try to be friendly to all those on two wheels...or three, for that matter...and wave at folks, whatever they are riding.  It's all good...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »

That is the one I have now in flat black... very happy with it... not a bad idea to replace it with the same one.

I was hoping to get some additional features like the internal visor, anti-fog, and integrated communicaton, reason why I am thinking of going with the Nolan N-104 next year when it is time to replace my current Shoei.

If Nolan carries over the same colors as of those in the N103, there is one close as well:

Hate to break the news, but I looked at all sources for N-104's and it doesn't look like they're going to have a Blue in that model. It does sound like they have made a few improvements though: More room from your mouth to the chin bar; larger opening for the visor; an improved version of the chin strap (already great, BTW), and it looks like the helmet has been approved, even when worn in the flipped up position, which is generally not the case.  That makes me wonder if the angle of the chin bar is a bit lower on the top of the helmet than was the case with the other N series, which would give it a bit more of a true 3/4 helmet profile when viewed from straight on.  The internal sun visor on the 103 is really nice...some don't come down far enough and can be in your line of sight, but the 103 does, and I would guess they use the same visor in the 104, with a slightly different mechanical configuration.  Looks like the N104 will be available in January 2012.

There are two other helmets worthy of consideration, IMO.  The Schuberth C3 and the Shark Evoline 2 ST.  Both are kinda hard to find sometimes though.  And neither come in Blue.  :(

The are going to have a N104 with graphics that have blue as the main color, with white and silver.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »

The are going to have a N104 with graphics that have blue as the main color, with white and silver.
That could be a good possibility for him.  ;) Helmets are like gloves.....need lots of different ones for different times....and can't ever stop looking for the perfect one/pair.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »

Hate to break the news, but I looked at all sources for N-104's and it doesn't look like they're going to have a Blue in that model. It does sound like they have made a few improvements though: More room from your mouth to the chin bar; larger opening for the visor; an improved version of the chin strap (already great, BTW), and it looks like the helmet has been approved, even when worn in the flipped up position, which is generally not the case.  That makes me wonder if the angle of the chin bar is a bit lower on the top of the helmet than was the case with the other N series, which would give it a bit more of a true 3/4 helmet profile when viewed from straight on.  The internal sun visor on the 103 is really nice...some don't come down far enough and can be in your line of sight, but the 103 does, and I would guess they use the same visor in the 104, with a slightly different mechanical configuration.  Looks like the N104 will be available in January 2012.

There are two other helmets worthy of consideration, IMO.  The Schuberth C3 and the Shark Evoline 2 ST.  Both are kinda hard to find sometimes though.  And neither come in Blue.  :(

It was just a nice to have... black is fine for my helmet  ;D

Now, back to normal programming :D
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.