Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wobble When I hit 105MPH - (Is This Normal?)  (Read 8587 times)

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
Wobble When I hit 105MPH - (Is This Normal?)
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »

Hi all,

Here in the land with no speed limits I thought I'd see if I could hit 100 MPH, and did so with no problem.  I inched it to 105 MPH and got a gentle (at first) wobble like when the wind from a truck catches the front fairing.  The wobble got progressively worse and as I gently decelerated it continued to get progressively worse to the point that it started to worry me that I may go down on the Autobahn at 100 MPH.

When the bike got down to around 90 MPH the wobble ceased and the bike handled normally.  Is this normal behavior for a bike with a batwing fairing?  My old Road Glide with the fixed fairing did not do anything like this, but I never got it quite to 105 MPH either.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this high speed wobble?  Or is the Ultra only capable of 80-90 MPH without becoming a high speed mechanical bull?

Thanks,

Megavolt
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Wobble When I hit 105MPH - (Is This Normal?)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »

Sorry to hear that. I too one had a wobble at high speed and they are NOT fun. Sometimes there are a lot of uncontrollable factors involved such as road conditions and cross winds.

Start by checking the easy stuff first.

Tire pressure and wear
Steering neck bearing tightness and lubrication
Handlebar stem bolts both upper and lower

Good luck
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »

Hi all,

Here in the land with no speed limits I thought I'd see if I could hit 100 MPH, and did so with no problem.  I inched it to 105 MPH and got a gentle (at first) wobble like when the wind from a truck catches the front fairing.  The wobble got progressively worse and as I gently decelerated it continued to get progressively worse to the point that it started to worry me that I may go down on the Autobahn at 100 MPH.

When the bike got down to around 90 MPH the wobble ceased and the bike handled normally.  Is this normal behavior for a bike with a batwing fairing?  My old Road Glide with the fixed fairing did not do anything like this, but I never got it quite to 105 MPH either.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this high speed wobble?  Or is the Ultra only capable of 80-90 MPH without becoming a high speed mechanical bull?

Thanks,

Megavolt

Is your wobble accompanied by a shaking of the front end, or is it more of a tail wagging event?  The touring chassis, 1979 to 2008 version anyway, has been known for about 30 years now to have a little problem with the rubber mounted rear end not tracking true with the front end.  It's a phenomena that can be demonstrated and felt at sub-100 mph speeds in sweeping curves, especially when hitting bumps while leaned over slightly.  Reminds me of certain solid axle rear wheel drive cars and what we always referred to as "bump steer", only on two wheels it takes on a much more spooky feel.  This little problem is what has spawned all those companies like Ride-Str8 and Tru-Track who make linkage devices to attempt to control the lateral movement of the swingarm/trans in the rear rubber mounts. 

The other issue is the front end shake most prevalent on the batwing bikes.  In my opinion this is a combination of a poor fairing design that actually provides lift at high speeds, and a too steep steering head angle which reduces the self centering action of the forks.  Most bikes with steep rake angles tend to be sport or racing bikes (steep rake allows easier and quicker turning at the expense of straight line stability), and they come equipped with steering stabilizers to counter the lack of oscillation damping that accompanies those steep angles.  You will notice that your Harley doesn't come with such a device.  Therefore, correct steering head bearing adjustments are critically important on an e-glide.  Too loose or too tight can interfere with the front ends ability to stabilize itself once something sets off the oscillation.  As Ironhorse noted, you need to check all the basics like tires, steering head bearings (make sure they are greased properly and adjusted to spec), etc.  If everything checks out good and you still have front end shake, you may want to try a different windshield.  I haven't personally tried one yet, but I understand the new screen from Brian Klock is supposed to actually kill the lift of the stock setup and maybe provide a little downforce.  Might be worth a try?

Good luck.  Once you've checked out the obvious mechanicals to make sure everything is to spec, if you still have the problem then you will probably need to do the same thing many of us have done.  Reduce speed to sane levels, especially in those conditions that we know from experience tend to lead to the wobble.  There are a few long sweeping curves where I do a lot of my riding, and that's were I first experienced the wobble.  Being the curious sort, I didn't change my ways immediately after scaring myself silly, I went back a few more times and ran through the area again at high speeds.  Same result, so I eventually figured out that it might be a good idea to slow down through that area in the future (unless I was having a really boring day and needed a shot of adrenaline).  BTW, different bikes and people experience the wobble/shake at different speeds.  Some claim they need to be doing well over 100 mph, while others like me have had it occur at speeds as low as 80-90 mph.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »

:-X :-X :-X

My dealer installed the true track on my 07 SE and it definitely mad the bike much more stable on long high speed sweepers and flat out.  It was fine at over 105 but I admit I only did that once.

Klock werks and Cee Bailey makes after market shields that are suppose to reduce the lift (KW actually provides down force) on the infamous Bat Wing.  Yes the KW does make the bike (09) more stable at high speeds.

Both are worth the try. 

:drink:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

Is your wobble accompanied by a shaking of the front end, or is it more of a tail wagging event?  The touring chassis, 1979 to 2008 version anyway, has been known for about 30 years now to have a little problem with the rubber mounted rear end not tracking true with the front end.  It's a phenomena that can be demonstrated and felt at sub-100 mph speeds in sweeping curves, especially when hitting bumps while leaned over slightly.  Reminds me of certain solid axle rear wheel drive cars and what we always referred to as "bump steer", only on two wheels it takes on a much more spooky feel.  This little problem is what has spawned all those companies like Ride-Str8 and Tru-Track who make linkage devices to attempt to control the lateral movement of the swingarm/trans in the rear rubber mounts. 

It's a tail wagging event, feels like it's from the front although I know that is hard to know for sure.  If you pushed the right handle bar and then the left forward gently and alternated that action over and over again that is exactly what the bike feels like.  Compared to my old Road Glide this bike always feels light in the front end, even though I know it's heavier than my old bike.  The bike feels like it wants to get into some harmonic type wobble whenever I pass a truck, or hit a bump on a corner, it usually does 2-3 wobble movements and then it self corrects.

I wonder why they never did wind tunnel tests to make a batwing that had better aerodynamics.  I am not sure if True Track or Klock Werks are the way to go.  Would either (or both) of these make the bike actually stable at high speed, or only a bit less unstable?  If I could comfortably cruise at 90-100 and keep up with some of the cars on the Autobahn it would be worth it but if the bike is still going to only be marginal at best at those speeds then it's probably not really worth the added time and expense.

MV
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »

:drink: :oops:

Here's the link to KW.  I rode the 6.5" and liked it.  However, I ordered the Cee Bailey because I need an 8.5" from KW to work with two up.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/products/?id=175

Interesting review.  The bike was more stable at speed.  But it allowed too much wind for my rider.

Waiting on the Cee Bailey.

Thought about the Clear View.

I haven't had any issues with my 09 over 100 and it has the equivalent of the True Track.  Guys in my club swear by the True Track.

Good luck..

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »

Our bikes go to 105???

I spent all that money so others can enjoy seeing me too!!! :huepfenjump3:

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »

:orange: :jalapeno: :apple: :carrot: :pineapple: :pepper:

Yes and more if you like.

Some of those long stretches on I10 east of Kerrville , leaving Roswell headed back home.

You gotta let the big dog run!!!!!!

:2cr_01: :2cr_01: :stop:

Former 1999 Road King

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »

My 08CUSE3 gets crazy over 100mph so in the intrest of of keeping my shorts clean I now stay at or below that magic number. May have to look at an 09 or 10 since I like to find out what the top end really is. :cucumber:

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »

Regarding the down pressure from after market windshields, I wonder if the Clearview windshield would help create any down pressure?
Brett in AK

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »

It's a tail wagging event, feels like it's from the front although I know that is hard to know for sure.  If you pushed the right handle bar and then the left forward gently and alternated that action over and over again that is exactly what the bike feels like.  Compared to my old Road Glide this bike always feels light in the front end, even though I know it's heavier than my old bike.  The bike feels like it wants to get into some harmonic type wobble whenever I pass a truck, or hit a bump on a corner, it usually does 2-3 wobble movements and then it self corrects.

I wonder why they never did wind tunnel tests to make a batwing that had better aerodynamics.  I am not sure if True Track or Klock Werks are the way to go.  Would either (or both) of these make the bike actually stable at high speed, or only a bit less unstable?  If I could comfortably cruise at 90-100 and keep up with some of the cars on the Autobahn it would be worth it but if the bike is still going to only be marginal at best at those speeds then it's probably not really worth the added time and expense.

MV

They do have wind tunnel testing on the bikes and the aerodynamics are pretty good. What they DON'T have is simulated road testing. Meaning varying surfaces like going from ashphalt to concrete, uneven surfaces, DOT bumps, cross winds and riders of varying weights and heights. All those things coupled with tire wear, air pressure, steering neck adjustments, rear swing arm play, ets..... are also contributing factors.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »

I ordered the KW 10.5 for my Ultra Friday, I will let you know what I think of it after a few runs.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »

MV

MV-
 I am on my second Road Glide with a few E-Glides in between, and the high speed stability of the Road Glide is dramatically better than the batwing fairing E-Glides.  I prefer the traditional looks of the batwing fairing, but I ride aggressively and found myself uncomfortable with the high speed instability of the E-Glide. I tried all the aftermarket upgrades (Traxxion Dynamics Cartridge Forks, Tru-Track Stabilizer, Progressive IAS shocks, different tires, neck bearing adjustments, etc...) and while the handling improved, it was still felt unsettled at high speeds.  The Road Glide will run well beyond the century mark and continue to behave as though it is on rails.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks,

Megavolt

I have had mine up over 100 mph on many occasions and I experience the same thing that you do once I top the 100 mark.  It's not quite as bad as a truck in front of me, but definitely the same concept at a lesser level.  I've hit the 120 mph mark, which is as far as the blasted thing goes, so who knows how fast these will really go?  It didn't seem to get any worse as I went faster though.  It keeps that little bit of wobble fairly constant from 100 to 120.  I really don't think that there is anything wrong with the bike, or surely I'd feel it when cruising along at 90 to 95 at least a little, but it runs perfect at those speeds.  I have had the bike up over 100 without the wobble also.  My take on it is that at those speeds, even a slight breeze can cause the wobble.  Face it, if you had wings, you might be able to take off at those speeds too. We're probably barely touching the pavement at those speeds.  I just make sure that I'm riding with 2 hands when I'm traveling in triple digits.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

I have had mine up over 100 mph on many occasions and I experience the same thing that you do once I top the 100 mark.  It's not quite as bad as a truck in front of me, but definitely the same concept at a lesser level.  I've hit the 120 mph mark, which is as far as the blasted thing goes, so who knows how fast these will really go?   It didn't seem to get any worse as I went faster though.  It keeps that little bit of wobble fairly constant from 100 to 120.  I really don't think that there is anything wrong with the bike, or surely I'd feel it when cruising along at 90 to 95 at least a little, but it runs perfect at those speeds.  I have had the bike up over 100 without the wobble also.  My take on it is that at those speeds, even a slight breeze can cause the wobble.  Face it, if you had wings, you might be able to take off at those speeds too. We're probably barely touching the pavement at those speeds.  I just make sure that I'm riding with 2 hands when I'm traveling in triple digits.
One sure way to tell how fast you've been is check the speed log on your GPS......it'll give you the max speed obtained until you re-set it.  Just don't check it while a LEO is looking over your shoulder or you'll have some 'splaining to do.  :oops: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

One sure way to tell how fast you've been is check the speed log on your GPS......it'll give you the max speed obtained until you re-set it.  Just don't check it while a LEO is looking over your shoulder or you'll have some 'splaining to do.  :oops: har!  :drink: spyder

You can't do that on the built in Harman Kardon GPS, can you?

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »

:bananarock: :bananarock:

No the Zumo tracks your highest speed and very accurately..

8)

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.