Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Won't idle down  (Read 6339 times)

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
Won't idle down
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »

I have a 2008 FLHTCUSE3 that won't idle down with out twisting clockwise. If i let go of the throttle the idle speed gos up to almost 2000 RPM. A couple of weeks ago it started doing it but then would slow down after 5 minutes or so of riding. This morning I road for 45 minutes and it was still doing it when I got to the office. Has someone else had this problem?

DoubleD

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO 110 FL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHTSKE
Re: Won't idle down
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »

Check under your seat for the ECM module and makes sure its locked into place I had issues with my 08 after I purchased it HD shop found that the ECM under the seat wasnt locked into place.
Vance&Hines Power Duels with Monster Ovals
Vance&Hines Fuel Pak
Wild One WO577

breeze06357

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »

I had that problem on my 08 SE Road King when I first got it. There is something to do with the fly by wire throttle that gets out of whack starting the bike before you let the self test complete. I seem to remember cycling the ignition 5 times to reset. Call the dealer to be sure!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »

I think the issue was caused by not letting the throttle return completely to the closed position before shutting the engine down, which fooled the ECM into resetting the throttle plate idle position.  There is a reset procedure that involved cycling the ignition several times, and Harley also came out with a new calibration (map) to address the issue.  I don't have the details handy, but if you do some searching on this site the details are out there.

Jerry

Here's a Tech Tip article that discussed the problem back in '08, there should be more current information from your dealer.

TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models

Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a carbureted model.
To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several months.
In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech to alleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The current software version (1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the What’s New button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:  Service>Tools & Equipment Info>DTII>Version Updates-What’s New.

The new calibrations will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles. Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.
SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you reflash back to a tuner cal. It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the ignition switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS position.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:26:15 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:21:32 AM »

Thanks Jerry. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the help! I have an apointment in the morning at the dealer. I made a copy of this thread to give to the tech. Thank you again, this is a great forum!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »

it's a throttle by wire issue, you can reset yourself. alot of techs don't know how to without digital tech.
with bike off and the kill switch off, turn the ignition switch on, flip kill switch on, wait about 4 seconds then turn it off, wait 4 seconds then turn to run. cycle through this procedure 3 times. on the fourth time start the bike, the idle should come down. then when you turn the bike off, dont use the kill switch if possible
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »

LarryB is right . Try it before you take it in. I've done it and it works to reset the idle.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »

good info

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 12:00:05 AM »

I haven't posted for a long while, but I have the same issue with my bike.  I have everything dialed in on it so I'm pretty happy. 
The reason for this post is just to point out something that is pretty obvious.  That is how lucky we are to have Jerry
grc on this site. 
He knows his stuff!
I've learned a lot from his expertise- as we all have.
Thanks Jerry.
Keep on keepin' on brother.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.