Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Would this ruin the look of a BIG BLUE 11.5 (coming) FLHTCUSE6 ?? Your thoughts?  (Read 5146 times)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

MAJOR SAFETY, Running at night, or in the rain, this was a major BIG lighting system I added on my last Ultra...  The Light Bar in the Classic Bag bars was on an accessory switch and lit up the WHOLE LANE at night.  It would go over the flames on the bags, but fill out the lower to the width of the Tour Box...  It looked like this, and I appreciate you opinions...

Thanks in advance from Oz...

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Side view of my last Ultra,

Would be over the flames of the boxes, I have mixed feelings, you who have the BIG BLUE, what do you think?  Too much?

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos

Before adding the lower lights you should know that the LEDs in the CVO Ultras are very bright and on the sides too, if you could check out somebodys bike you might find that there is enough light.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

and I appreciate you opinions...
Thanks in advance from Oz...

you who have the BIG BLUE, what do you think?  Too much?

Not on mine will there ever be lights like that.
Remember, you asked.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Why I asked is likely it will not come in with the LEDs on the top box to Australia, I would need to add one of them myself, either / or....

Honestly, I was thinking the same, too much, but it was HUGE at night... I am thinking the flames would be peeking out above the rail and not look good anyway...

The LEDs on the bottom of the box may be enough.  They will not allow it to come into Australia like that, no red on the sides allowed by transport laws, but I can always add them and they may be enough instead of the lower light bar...

And by the way, SBB, I thought my name for this 2011.5 "BIG BLUE" was MY original.  Did you post that BIG BLUE first?  Or was I first...?  Just curious..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:47:40 PM by Cowboy2 »

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything

:) I'm putting in to be the first with Big Red_____neck :(
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

I would never do that to any bike..    way too much :-[

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

It looks like absolute :puke: on that bike and on a CVO it would look even worse.

And "Big Blue" is really not all that original, no matter who was first. ;)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Very subtle response... Why don't you just say what you think... ha ha !   ;D

Actually, I think the LEDs that I will have to add to the bottom of the top box as it will likely come to Oz without them, actually I was thinking that is enough...  The big light bar was good for group run, running as Tail Gunner, and lit up the WHOLE LANE, motive for the madness....

A Guy down here liked it so much, I sold it for $31,000 last year...  Major safety issue and you looked as big as a truck with it.

But thanks for your response, no matter how subtle and sophisticated...  :bananarock:  I did not think I could do it to BIG BLUE, just curious what you Guys thought....  I think I have decided I will leave it clean.

Cowboy.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe

Smart move.....the one thing I liked bout the SEUC was the clean rearend. BUTT who cares what anybody else thinks.........make yourself happy!  :huepfenlol2:  :beatdeadhorse:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living

I will leave it clean.

Cowboy.

Good call  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***

I like mine lean & clean. The cleaner the look, the better. The SEUC has better upgrades w/ lighting than those light bars. JMO!!!

Good move to the CVO though...

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE

I like mine lean & clean. The cleaner the look, the better. The SEUC has better upgrades w/ lighting than those light bars. JMO!!!

Good move to the CVO though...

x 2 !  :2vrolijk_21:
Al

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Never have cared for the chrome bits and pieces on the fenders/bags....IMO, one of the things that distinguish the CVO bikes from all the other Ultras is the LACK of all that stuff hanging off the bags and fenders, and on the Blue Bike you're getting with the flames...well, it would look like a monkey's a$$ sewn up with a grapevine...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

I think I have decided I will leave it clean.

Cowboy.

I agree.....

TLSSRS

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Ultra - Cobalt & Twilight Blue

Side view of my last Ultra,

Would be over the flames of the boxes, I have mixed feelings, you who have the BIG BLUE, what do you think?  Too much?

I like all the lights myself. My last one had the rail lights, front wheel lights, under the floorboards, etc. etc. But i don't think they would look good on the blue cvo. I have one & have added the light to the trunk rack & the bag lid rails with lights. Kuryakyn makes a neat light to go under the bags & shine rearward i think i may add. It is pretty well lit the way it comes though. Some like all the trinkets & some don't. To each their own i say.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)

Never have cared for the chrome bits and pieces on the fenders/bags....IMO, one of the things that distinguish the CVO bikes from all the other Ultras is the LACK of all that stuff hanging off the bags and fenders, and on the Blue Bike you're getting with the flames...well, it would look like a monkey's a$$ sewn up with a grapevine...
+AGREE leave it alone, no bars, no lights! :2vrolijk_21:
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Ziploc

If you are looking to light up your forward lane, I highly recommend going with the HID headlights and passing lamps.  I put them on my 2011.5 and they are great. 

The LED brake lights are plenty bright to warn drivers behind.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member

Never been a fan of the "Big Rig, 18 wheeler, hang lights on it everywhere" look.
But if you like it you should do it.  It is your money and your bike.   

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Guppytrash...

Look, this whole thing was not so much about me dressing UP the bike for ego or looks, I am about 60 and past that... heh he.. Yea right. 

I must confess it was purely a safety issue and I had my doubts because this 11.5 BIG BLUE is so nice looking I don't want to mess it up...   My last ultra per the pictures was not so flashy, but the Big Rig lights were for a purpose..   The why of it all was because for a while I was "Tail Gunner" for a group of Bikers, and this was about really "Lighting up the lane" for obvious safety reasons.

Getting rear ended with a pack of Brothers, could ruin your whole night... I may just increase the rear tailight to LED like I have done on my Street Glide, as that is about 4 times as bright as stock... 

Best regards from Australia..

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

I get the "add more lights for safety thing" but the truth is some of these moron cage drivers will still say "I didn't SEE THE BIKE" even if it is as bright as Times Square!!!! One thought I had was if you are going to keep the bike for several years it may not matter what mods you add, BUT it could effect resale value if changes were made that can't be returned to OEM form. At least it may cut down the number of possible buyers. It would for me, I might would look for a less modified bike. Not trying to be mean, just my .02.  :drink:

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Cool, one sharp Road King, but here is a point:
At some point in Life, probably dating myself as Old School, but at some point "Form and Function" looks attractive and takes prescendence over "style and looks"...

To be fair about this Topic, these two things I will add out of experience:  First I sold that Ultra for $31,000 second hand, maybe because it was unique and safe...
Secondly, when I slam on the brakes IT WAS BIG RED IN THE FACE... Once when running Tail Gunner in a Pack with the "Tribe", a car pulled out on the country highway when we were coming at speed and everyone had to near LOCK IT UP.....  The BIG RED IN THE FACE on the back of my bike meant that a someone not associated had to lock it up themselves and almost went off the shoulder on the side, to keep from running down into our group..  The BIG RED IN THE FACE I think saved our bacon on that day...

I am leaning on 60... When I was 20 I would not even have considered having a dresser, only Cops and Old Men had Dressers..  When I was 30 or 40 I would NOT EVEN CONSIDER that big disgusting light bar and big box lights and brake lights, who needs all that "junk"...  But over 50, when I do not bounce so good and don't give a shirt what the Chicks think, and have had my share of close calls, it made good sense and was actually BIG RIG sort of attractive.   THAT  is why this whole Topic and consideration...

Kind regards from Australia, stay safe out there.  "There are Bold Riders and Old Riders.... But there are no Bold Old Riders........."  8)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt

I agree with leave it clean.  I wondered how the saddle bag spoiler lights might look on the bike for more lighting from the rear, but it means more wiring from the bike into the saddle bags.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

I like the clean look, if you want LED's to light up the side at night, run them along the saddlebag support and you can use them when you want to and they do not take away from the looks of the bike, my opinion.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

Cool, one sharp Road King, but here is a point:
At some point in Life, probably dating myself as Old School, but at some point "Form and Function" looks attractive and takes prescendence over "style and looks"...

To be fair about this Topic, these two things I will add out of experience:  First I sold that Ultra for $31,000 second hand, maybe because it was unique and safe...
Secondly, when I slam on the brakes IT WAS BIG RED IN THE FACE... Once when running Tail Gunner in a Pack with the "Tribe", a car pulled out on the country highway when we were coming at speed and everyone had to near LOCK IT UP.....  The BIG RED IN THE FACE on the back of my bike meant that a someone not associated had to lock it up themselves and almost went off the shoulder on the side, to keep from running down into our group..  The BIG RED IN THE FACE I think saved our bacon on that day...

I am leaning on 60... When I was 20 I would not even have considered having a dresser, only Cops and Old Men had Dressers..  When I was 30 or 40 I would NOT EVEN CONSIDER that big disgusting light bar and big box lights and brake lights, who needs all that "junk"...  But over 50, when I do not bounce so good and don't give a shirt what the Chicks think, and have had my share of close calls, it made good sense and was actually BIG RIG sort of attractive.   THAT  is why this whole Topic and consideration...

Kind regards from Australia, stay safe out there.  "There are Bold Riders and Old Riders.... But there are no Bold Old Riders........."  8)
Good point I'm Old School myself leaning on 56...Keep the rubber side down.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member

Cowboy2
You know what they say about opinions...
But you asked for them, so I gave mine.
I also think after reading your comments you would feel a whole lot better having those lights on your bike.
So like I said before...its your bike and your money and you should do with it what makes you comfortable.  Your gonna have a great looking ride either way.
Enjoy and ride safe.
Guppy

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Guppytrash,
Don't know about that name but...  Cool anyway..... I am the first of "Bikers for Christ" on the Sunshine Coast, and so could assign my "Rank" under the Name tag... Mine says "Road Trash"  heh he...  Just to lighten up all the big promoting M/C ranking thing.. heh he...

I have just seen one of the Rio Red and Ember Black what ever they call it... And the top Tourer Box lights are BRIGHT...  Because of the flames on the panniers I have abandoned the idea of the light bar..  I probably WILL do a "Pig Snout" LED tail light if it does not come with it, as I have it on my Street Glide and Brothers reckon it is about 4-5 times as bright as the stock light...   The idea of further LEDs stop lights on the back of the panniers is not totall silly, I have seen some flush mount ones in American Bagger Magazine that were not noticable until you put the BRAKE LIGHTS on....  Simple plug outside to remove box... Cool...

And I want to thank all of you for your input...  Cheers from Australia,
And I will not be messing up the new 11.5 BIG BLUE,  it was just a good Topic for safety and consideration... Fun....  

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800

That's really "old school"... Had them on my '97 Ultra and with its paint scheme looked okay and gave lots of light.

However, I would never destroy the look of a CVO's paint scheme by adding things that would cover it up, especially old fashion lights.

Besides, as previously mentioned the newer lighting systems that come standard are much brighter and therefore no more are required to be seen.

JMHO
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7

No, No, No, leave those bags clean.....

napalm
napalm

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq

Cowboy2

These guys may have some cool stuff to help accomplish your objective:

www.customdynamics.com

Plasma Rods mounted "under" your bags may be an option?

Fatboy

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8

I agree with leave it clean.  I wondered how the saddle bag spoiler lights might look on the bike for more lighting from the rear, but it means more wiring from the bike into the saddle bags.
SBB had the painted to match spoilerson his 09. I thought they looked good, not a whole bunch of light though.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

You Guys are really cool,

Helping me get through the long wait for BIG BLUE with this planning and dreaming....  Now down to about 13 weeks, 4 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes....
BUT WHO IS COUNTING... heh he... :cowboy:

Big Blue is so definitely Cool, and so rare here in Australia I might now ever even be parked up with another one...  I will keep it clean all Custom like the CVO Team designed it...

Here is a scary one, my Dealer local is pretty cool and straight with me, and he just put a 120R motor with all the chrome, into a Dresser...  The bad thing is he called me to say how AWESOME the motor ran on test drive.  It is coming in for a 1000 km Service and he said he had to call me...  I guess he figures I am a SUCKER for such toys with two CVO's..... 

This is a little  :jack:  but WOW, 2000 cc, I will try and get a picture and a Dyno report when it comes in for the Service and Dyno to see what scratch it generate... Look for the new Topic.. (120R is legal on the road here cause nobody knows about it)..heh he  Things have sure come a long way from my 1966 Shovelhead jammed into a 57 straight legged rigid frame with suicide clutch and jockey shifter 40 years ago......

Maybe I will have a 110 sitting in my living room in a cradle for accents...Just to set the Wife off...  :furious2:  he heh....

Best regards from Australia...  :cowboy:

CVO FF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic Riptide Blue/ Titanium Dust

I agree too much for the bike. It would cover the nice flames and paint too much.
Fullsac X pipe
Fullsac 2.0 power cores
TTS w/Fullsac Map
HD SE Ventilator
Anderson Tour Pack Extender
EZ up center stand
House of Hawgs LED tourpack light
Zumo 660

cobaltcvo11

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight/Cobalt
    • CVO2: 1997 FLHTCUI Burned in house fire 2010
    • Personal Website

Leave the bags clean!!
The older I get, The cooler I was

Island Dude

• Island Dude

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6

I get the safety thing but I would pass on mine, your call.
2010 XL1200X
2008 FLHTCU ANV
2004 FXD

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Cool, Island Dude, I am over that one right now...

:jack: :jack:

Island Dude: On your FLHTCUSE6 you said you had the V&H Dresser Duals and the Monster Rounds...  Can you post a picture of the exhaust side?  It sounds like a good choice, and V&H are the biggest in stock here..  Thinking I might do the same and save the stock CVO exhaust.  Making my mind up in the next 6-8 weeks while my bike is in transit and being converted, between what you did and modding the stock instead of saving it..

Pictures would be a big help.. Thanks in advance...  If you do not have a digital camera or know how to do it, then OK, thanks anyway...   Cowboy..

zemo

Riding at night, the RG CVO is lit well in the back. Buddy told me it really stands out. He also told me its not a bike but a convertible without doors. LOL

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black

I totally agree with Chip, NOT!
The "TAZMUN"

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

Cowboy, there are other options if you think you can't be seen at night once you get your new BIG BLUE.

There are "Bright Ass Lights": http://www.brightasslights.com/site/

You could also get a paint/body shop to cut some LED lights into the rear portion of your saddlebags.
Hitech makes a number of different flush mount LED lights in different shapes that can be used.
Here is the link to flushmount LEDs and they have other LED light options including some replacement or existing light fixtures.
http://www.hitechledproducts.com/index.php?cPath=27_47&osCsid=945de483d5816430459e67a7154e102f

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Thank you Desert Hog,
Good country you have there....  Full moon light in the desert, cool, very very coool....  We have those kind of places here, but have to watch out for the roos, a major drama, kangaroos can to to 5' to 6' tall in places..

I have abandoned the idea of the light bar, I was just fishing for ideas, and to ugly up a CVO certainly drew some responses out...  I know about the LED lights in the boxes, I have considered them in the SESG I have now.

Look, if you are a good rider, and anticipate idiots at every intersection, then the highest chance of a problem is from the back end...  You can cover all the bases, but that is one that is tough and why I want to LIGHT UP THE WORLD... heh he...  Anyway, thank you, top Bloke..  Cool Links, ride on Brother.....

Cowboy in Oz...

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 21 queries.