Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wow - replace wiring harness?  (Read 1270 times)

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
Wow - replace wiring harness?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »

2011 CVO Ultra Classic with 5,000 miles.  I started having problems after I switched my exhaust to Fullsac and loaded a TTS map.  I don't believe either caused my problem, maybe just exposed something that was already there.  After the swap and load the engine light came on.  P0107 code was set (MAP sensor)  Took it to the dealer and they replaced the MAP sensor.  Got the bike back and it ran good for about 150 miles, then suddenly started surging while sitting at a red light.  By the time I got a half mile down the road it was spitting and coughing like you wouldn't believe.  Pulled into a parking lot and it died.   I let it sit for a few minutes and then tried to start it to make it home.  It took all it had to get moving, but after I got going about 30 MPH it kicked in and ran until I got home.  Good think I didn't have to stop at all on the way, because as soon as I pulled into the garage it died again.  This time it had 7 codes.  MAP sensor,, Crank position synch, throttle position correlation error, front and rear O2 sensor lean, 5v out of range and a couple other I can't remember.  Sheesh!  I have a trip scheduled week after next!

The dealer came and picked it up Saturday.  Yesterday he called at a time I couldn't answer and left a voicemail saying they have to replace the wiring harness, they had to order it and it would be in Thursday.  Huh?  I understand the problem could have been caused by a short, but to replace the entire wiring harness is kind of drastic, isn't it?  I don't have the confidence in this bike now to take it on a long trip.  I know there have been mechanical problems on these bikes, has anyone had major electrical problems like this?

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Wow - replace wiring harness?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »

Hogsty,
HD towers over me as I am in a Manufacturing business I own, with only 48 Employees and 12 sub Contractors... But I have to say that this action is a credit to HD, and with a whole new harness they are insuring this does not happen again to you.  I would be pleased they went to such extremes and ride with confidence.. Why?

There are a lot of small complex connectors, and if they plugged it into an IDS Integrated Diagnostic System, and found that they had ghosts all over the place, and found a fault in plugs or connectors and did not like the look of it???  Then the move to replace the whole wiring harness involved, is a credit to them.  I have not heard of such and issue with the three HD Shops in my range, nor on this Forum.  With a new harness, I would ride in total confidence and say "Cool, great Warranty Service HD".....

Cowboy in Australia, riding my 2011 SESG while my 8th HD in 40 years, a 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 is being shipped in.. Big Blue is coming to Australia, one of four coming...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

That was my initial reaction also.  Just be thanking them that they are replacing the entire harness.....rather than chasing after ea. problem over an extended period with mixed results... :2vrolijk_21:... spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »

That was my initial reaction also.  Just be thanking them that they are replacing the entire harness.....rather than chasing after ea. problem over an extended period with mixed results... :2vrolijk_21:... spyder

I concur  :)
Al

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

Thanks, that thought did cross my mind.  This dealer bends over backwards to make me happy.

I can't help but wonder if they screwed it up when they fixed the MAP sensor.  You have to take the tank off, and maybe they somehow pinched something, or put the tank on in a way that rubbed something.  Or maybe they are chasing a problem that doesn't exist, and it's a bad ECM.   I guess I'm really worried because I've got a week long trip planned and don't want it interrupted. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »

Thanks, that thought did cross my mind.  This dealer bends over backwards to make me happy.

I can't help but wonder if they screwed it up when they fixed the MAP sensor.  You have to take the tank off, and maybe they somehow pinched something, or put the tank on in a way that rubbed something.  Or maybe they are chasing a problem that doesn't exist, and it's a bad ECM.   I guess I'm really worried because I've got a week long trip planned and don't want it interrupted. 
All the more reason that you'll be glad they're taking a big swipe at it this way so you can know sooner tban later if it's 'fixed' or not.  Hopefully you'll have a great, trouble free trip now.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »

I hope the harness does the trick. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »

Well, they replaced the harness.

And then throttle body

Now it runs great.  I reloaded the Fullsac map and road about 300 miles so far with no issues.

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

Well, they replaced the harness.

And then throttle body

Now it runs great.  I reloaded the Fullsac map and road about 300 miles so far with no issues.

Glad all that worry was for nothing  ::)
Al

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »

That's great Trimster.  Ride safe.  spyder

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.