Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Short?  (Read 3537 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Short?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »

Yeah, that's a good. I was going to recommend replacing the fuse with a paperclip and look for the source of the smoke when you turn the switch on.

Remember prior to following this approach, make sure bike is outside and all insurance payments are up to date.   :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »

Take your time and you will find it......no tech help needed. It has prob been on the verge for a good while and you finally got the right bump/turn. Now the obvious..check everywhere the wire goes near the frame. GOOD LUCK, you can do this one.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Short?
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:20:41 AM »

I had a the exact same problem a few years ago and it turned out to be my overheated Thundermax ECM. All of my gauges stopped working but my warning lights continued to operate as designed. After replacing the t-max with the stock ECM the issues were corrected.

Does this happen all the time or only after the bike has been running for a while ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »

The problem was happening all of the time. However, when I took the seat and front fairing off the problem disappeared. I then remounted the seat (fairing still off) problem gone. After remounting the front fairing the problem reappeared. Removed the front fairing and the problem was gone and all gauges were working. Inspected as much of the wiring as I could, taking my time in good light but never really found anything. I have the Hawg-Wired 300 watt system in there so things are kind of crowded. I removed all zip ties and checked all of the wiring thoroughly but still found nothing. I re-routed a bunch of stuff moved some connectors, and carefully zip tied wiring where appropriate. I remounted the front fairing, checking the gauges after installing each of the screws and the problem is gone. This was last Friday 6/3 and I have been riding ever since with no problems thus far. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Thank you all for the input and suggestions,
Tom149
Tom

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »

Tom,
Glad to hear you were at least able to make the problem go away. I assume you're probably planning on pursuing it further when you have time? Things like this have a way of reappearing (and maybe getting worse) at the least opportune moments... Good luck with your continued search, and please let us know what it is if you are eventually able to find it.

Biker Boy  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.