Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wrinkled Tour Pak Leather  (Read 2586 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Wrinkled Tour Pak Leather
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »

Has anyone heard from Harley or anyone else on the concerns about the wrinked leather work on the 07 Tourpaks?  My 06 was still in the showroom yesterday when I compared the leather work to a terrible looking 07.  It looks like I did it myself with waves and wrinkles all over the sides and top.  I  have an 07 shipping this week and I just cannot accept the fact that I am going to have to live with that bad of leather work. Anyone else with problem? Comments?  

Thanks,
JimMcDonald
Charlotte, NC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Wrinkled Tour Pak Leather
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »

Has anyone heard from Harley or anyone else on the concerns about the wrinked leather work on the 07 Tourpaks?  My 06 was still in the showroom yesterday when I compared the leather work to a terrible looking 07.  It looks like I did it myself with waves and wrinkles all over the sides and top.  I  have an 07 shipping this week and I just cannot accept the fact that I am going to have to live with that bad of leather work. Anyone else with problem? Comments?  

Thanks,
JimMcDonald
Charlotte, NC

Some of us have had the problem since they came out with the leather tour paks:  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1151512620/0

And here's some other issues too.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1158453701/0

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1151512620/0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »

Mc, I too had an '06 with no wrinkles in the tour pak although a couple friends with '06s did develop wrinkles.  My new '07 and all the '07s I've seen have wrinkles in the tour pak lid and on the passenger arm rests.  My theory which is yet to be disproved is that a madman at the moco decided he'd had enough with the complaints and made the wrinkles standard.  That way they can claim "they all do it" and be 100% correct.  Just my $.02.  I don't like it but I'll live with it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »

Thanks,
JimMcDonald
Charlotte, NC
Mac,
My tour pak doesn't have any wrinkles in it, but my arm rests do.  I think it's just the nature of the beast.  As they say, it gives it "character".  It's not worth doing anything about it.  In my experience, when the dealers fix one thing, they create another problem. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »

My theory which is yet to be disproved is that a madman at the moco decided he'd had enough with the complaints and made the wrinkles standard.
Be careful what you say. I had breakfast with Willie G in Rapid City last August. He ask me what I thought of my SEUC. I told him my only dis-satisfaction was with the leather tour pak, both in capacity as well as poor finish. He repied "oh, that was my personal creation on the ultra." Needless to say I didn't carry the conversation further but he got the message. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

Be careful what you say. I had breakfast with Willie G in Rapid City last August. He ask me what I thought of my SEUC. I told him my only dis-satisfaction was with the leather tour pak, both in capacity as well as poor finish. He repied "oh, that was my personal creation on the ultra." Needless to say I didn't carry the conversation further but he got the message. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The boattail on the '71 Superglide was his creation also.  Actually I liked it and I like the leather tourpak.  Capacity not really an issue for me since we pull a trailer.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »

I brought my '06 up to have the tins swapped out tomorrow.  I hadn't looked a the leather tour pak for some time, but it looks like crap, so I think I'll bring up the tour pak wrinkles just for giggles.

I'll see what my guys say.  they are really good about going to bat on this stuff.

Rog
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:53:30 PM by Rjob749 »

Luis

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:51 AM »

My tour pak has wrinkles.......I do not like it, but I am not sure if I'll ask them to fix it......they may end up making it worse.

Luis

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »

My tour pak has wrinkles.......I do not like it, but I am not sure if I'll ask them to fix it......they may end up making it worse.

Luis

You must have gotten one of the new tourpaks made with pruneskins!  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I've noticed on my 06 that the leather does get a bit slack in cold weather bur tightens right back up in warm weather. I know that sounds odd as heat expands and cold contracts but that's what it does.
Keep us posted on what happens and see if you can capture it on camera.. it would be interesting to see what it looks like,

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »

You must have gotten one of the[highlight] new [/highlight]tourpaks made with pruneskins!  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I've noticed on my 06 that the leather does get a bit slack in cold weather bur tightens right back up in warm weather. I know that sounds odd as heat expands and cold contracts but that's what it does.
Keep us posted on what happens and see if you can capture it on camera.. it would be interesting to see what it looks like,

Sounds like he got an Old one.....Very Old! [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »

I have had the same experience with tour pak wrinkles. wrinkles in the winter, smooth in the warm weather. So I don't worry

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 12:12:35 PM »

I've experienced wrinkles and puckering (I have to watch what I say, Hoist is lurking out there).  Advice I received here was to use plenty of HD "goop", the Vaseline-like stuff. Also agree with Rooster, seems to be related to weather.
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 12:38:25 PM »

[highlight]I've experienced wrinkles and puckering [/highlight](I have to watch what I say, Hoist is lurking out there).  Advice I received here was to [highlight]use plenty of[/highlight] HD "goop", [highlight]the Vaseline-like stuff[/highlight]. Also agree with Rooster, seems to be related to weather.

Too late HB! But I ain't touching this one! ;D ::) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:22:39 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 12:47:52 PM »

Too late HB! But I ain't touching this one! ;D ::) Hoist!  8-)
Don't blame you at all.  I think I'll stay clear of this thread for awhile.
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »

Jim,

My '06 SE Ultra had wrinkles in the tour pack and so does my new '07 SE Ultra....the major problem is that the tour pack is not all leather, a lot of it is synthetic leather that does not stretch and shrink like real leather, thus the wrinkles that we all see.  It is the nature of the beast.  I am seriuosly thinking about replacing mine with a King Tour Pack in Fiberglass and having it painted to match the bike.  Time will tell.

Happy Holidays.

napalm
napalm

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »

Napalm, you have the right idea.  I want an SEUltra but am going to keep my seeg until moco
gets their head on straight and puts the hard tour pak back on it.  [smiley=soapbox.gif]
 [smiley=cherry.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »

I brought my '06 up to have the tins swapped out tomorrow.  I hadn't looked a the leather tour pak for some time, but it looks like crap, so I think I'll bring up the tour pak wrinkles just for giggles.

I'll see what my guys say.  they are really good about going to bat on this stuff.

Rog

I kind of figured they'd feel that the MoCo wouldn't do anything for the gathering I have on the outside of the backrest uppers.  

They were willing however to send it to the upholstery shop and have them tighten the loose leather.  They have done others with steam to shrink them tighter and had good success according to my dealer.  

I figure I can do that anytime so I didn't have them do it now.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »

Oh you know how it is............... it's the "nature of the beast"............. "its leather, its supposd to do that"............ "they all do it"............. we're being to "nit picky"...... "what do expect for $35,000?" .......... :-?

Rhino

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »

Getting Tired of Your TP Wrinkles?  This is what worked for me.   In shade, I applied a liberal amount of Harley Leather Goo, and rubbed and massaged it in well with my fingers, and then let it sit for a while.  I wanted it pretty well saturated. (if you do this in sunshine, it liquifies rather fast and drips).  

Then I proceeded to wipe off only the excess gently, and pulled it out into the warmer sunshine.  After about ten minutes more of soaking this goo up, I started hand buffing.  I noticed the black colour came out exceptionally dark and shiny, and as it dried within an hour, the leather tightened up quite nicely, just enough to make a difference.  

Rhino

Ted Severns

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 04:23:55 PM »

I just took delivery on my new 07.  It is sitting next to my 06 and the tour pack leather looks like a child did the work.  The center has several wrinkles and is not laminated to the pack (has a large bubble in the center). My dealer is checking to see it the MC will replace or will they repair it.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »

I just took delivery on my new 07.  It is sitting next to my 06 and the tour pack leather looks like a child did the work.  The center has several wrinkles and is not laminated to the pack (has a large bubble in the center). My dealer is checking to see it the MC will replace or will they repair it.

Sorry to hear of the 07 tour pak issue, it seems to be ongoing. Good luck with the resolution.

Welcome to the site, glad you signed up, great info here.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 06:11:23 PM »

I guess I got lucky...I have some very minor ones on my tour pak and some on the arm rests, but nothing serious enough that I'm going to fight with the dealer and the MoCo over.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.