Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OK, I'm Ready for The Humiliation! But I need some help.  (Read 4466 times)

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
OK, I'm Ready for The Humiliation! But I need some help.
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »

I'm a pretty good 'wrencher', but I'm kind of stumped and I care more about my FXR2 than my pride.  I bought my machine less than 2 years ago with 2200 miles on it.  A nearly 10-year old machine with so few miles needed a good look-see, so I immediately dropped it off at my Harley technician for a good going over - new tires, fluids, etc.  It now has 4900 mi. (I'm really running the wheels off it) and it's time for another service, so I thought I'd do it.  I've had 5 Harleys and this is my first 80 cu in, and definitely my first FXR.  The other TC 88's were all pretty straight-forward, but this one leaves me with a couple questions.  I have a service manual, and can read, so this shouldn't be too tough.  That oil tank hose is wrong!  Anyway, I've gotten to the transmission.  The manual says there is a drain at the bottom of the cover (where the dipstick is).  I can't find that on the bike.  Somebody give me a bit of a clue.

OK, let me have it!  I'm not proud of my ignorance, but I can live with it!

Thanks
Scott

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: OK, I'm Ready for The Humiliation! But I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »

scobar44, there are no dumb questions.
Hell, I don't have a clue where it is either.
But that's the greatest thing about this site.
Someone does know the answer and will be glad to help you.
Just be patient.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »

There are a couple of methods that work OK. First, take your best phillips screwdriver and grind the business end to a sharp point. Place the screwdriver up against the oil bag and give it a good whack with a large dead blow sledge hammer. After the oil drains completely, seal the hole up with some huckumpucky, fill the bag with oil and you’re done. It’s best to follow-up on this procedure with photos. ;)

The other method isn’t as much fun, but it will get the job done. Warm the machine up, remove the left side cover and pull the drain hose from its perch and so on. Good luck :)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »

The transmission drain....it's not on the side cover....it's under the transmission case.....at least it is on an FXR4...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »

And a PDF....(it's upside down...for some reason.....but when you laying on your back looking up, it will be right side up....)  The drain plug for the transmission is part #5....   :2vrolijk_21:

(click on the link)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:20:19 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »

Thanks, Sandunbar, your advice makes me a bit more comfortable.  In the FXR2 and 3 service manual in Chapter 1 (maintenance) it has a diagram describing the changing of the transmission oil showing what appears to be a drain plug at the base of the chrome side cover, similar to the Primary Drain.  Since there is no drain there, I was hesitant to remove any bolt or plug anywhere else until I had further information.

After looking at the FXR4 diagram that you referred to, I found the FXR2 and 3's version in my manual.  It's strange that these diagrams are quite different, but the basics are the same.  It seems that there were many not so subtle changes between the 1999 and 2000 FXR's.

Thanks for your help.
Scott

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »

Thanks, Sandunbar, your advice makes me a bit more comfortable.  In the FXR2 and 3 service manual in Chapter 1 (maintenance) it has a diagram describing the changing of the transmission oil showing what appears to be a drain plug at the base of the chrome side cover, similar to the Primary Drain.  Since there is no drain there, I was hesitant to remove any bolt or plug anywhere else until I had further information.

After looking at the FXR4 diagram that you referred to, I found the FXR2 and 3's version in my manual.  It's strange that these diagrams are quite different, but the basics are the same.  It seems that there were many not so subtle changes between the 1999 and 2000 FXR's.

Thanks for your help.

From what I've seen, even for a 1999 FXR2/3 the service manual is crap.  Most of the manual is stuck in time about 1994.  In 96 the throttle cables changed to the snap in , not screw in.  Not correct in the manual.  I was looking for info on the shift rod through the primary for the mid shift controls and found nothing.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

Buck0

• '99 FXR3: SE Slip-ons, SE AC, Thunderslide Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »

Ya know, I had the same issue. Got the manual and it is completely wrong. I'm so gald this thread was here because I had no idea where the drain was located after reading the manual. I have found other descrepencies as well. Oh well, I don't mind doing a little digging as long as I get to enjoy riding this great bike. Now if it would just stop raining long enough to actually get some good riding in.... ;D
You don't have to run faster than the hungry bear, you just have to run faster than those around you.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »

There's always an answer for your questions here. That's why we get smarter here.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.