Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ever heard about lifetime oil and filter , never change again oil ?  (Read 5744 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/item.asp?cmd=dsplyItem&itemKey=684
Did you ever heard about lifetime oil , you would never need to change your oil anymore , and this lifetime oil filter , anybody have  any experiences with this ?
Is it really necessary to change the oil every 5k miles ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:08:34 AM by Highjagger »
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Re: ever heard about lifetime oil and filter , never change again oil ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »

Yikes  :o
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »

Yikes  :o

???? What`ya mean ? ( No babblefish translation for Yikes )

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:38 AM »

???? What`ya mean ? ( No babblefish translation for Yikes )

Oil topics rank up there with discussions about politics and religion but when it has to do with never chaning oil again.......................Yikes equals  :o

By the way, nice looking RG  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Myko

• Senior CVO Member
  • Takin' Bug Slayer Home

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "BUG SLR" Spiced Rum - Yummmm!
    • CVO2: 1985 FLHTC "St Steven", RK conversion, hand paint in Naples, IT
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:14:35 AM »

I don't have any experience, but I don't get where you get, from the link you sent, about NOT changing oil. The link you posted is for a reusable filter. Their claim, pay $200 and never have to buy another filter. You'll clean this one at each oil change. They also claim that you will be able to extend the time between changes but don't say by how much. Oils break down, with today's technology (market) you'll never get away from changing your oil as it will still break down mostly from heat. Even just sitting for long periods oil will gradually loose it's viscosity.
It's interesting in that when I bought my '07, the manual says change every 5K... I thought how kewl... no more 2500 mile changes... but sales and service said to still change every 2500. I put synthetic in and since the book said 5K, switched to 5K anyway. With some synthetics you can make the window larger (perhaps up to 10K) but if you have concerns over warranty, you could be held for not being in compliance as you're not following the maintenance schedule.
~~~~~
Mike
------------------------------------------------------
2010 Spiced Rum SESG "Bug Slayer"
Fullsac X pipe & 2.0 baffles
Corbin Classic Solo w/Scarlet Flames
14" Wild1 Chubby Apehangers
Hawg Wired Double Shot
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Clark Custom Windshield & Deflectors
Performance Machine FL Touring Mirrors (black)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers
Deflectorization
Diamond Polished Stainless Steel Engine bolt kit
---------------------------------------------------

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:16:34 AM »

http://www.evisor.tv/tv/werkstatt/oelwechsel-ueberfluessig-und-a-2481.htm
but it is a link to a german report , using lifetime oil and never change the oil again .

Raza51

• Full CVO Member
  • Ready to Roll

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08:16 AM »

Dealer has me going in every 2500 miles, and if I am, out on a trip all I do is get the oil changed at a Harley shop and they reimburse me....gotta love it!!!
2012 Convertible
2009 Timeout Easy Camper
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2009 FS2300 Weekend Warrior
Harleys come in many colors, mine is Red, White and Blue!

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »

http://www.evisor.tv/tv/werkstatt/oelwechsel-ueberfluessig-und-a-2481.htm
but it is a link to a german report , using lifetime oil and never change the oil again .

I dont understand German well, even though I took 4 years of German in school.

I use the purepower filter.  It allows you to clean the filter and check for debris that may show up in the filter.  It can also allow for longer oil change intervals when running synthetic oils.  You could also go as far as getting your oil tested (Amsoil has these) to check the  condition of the oil. Fleets do this. My 2 cents. Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »

Too many important potential byproducts of the oil change. While it's draining is when I do a walk around with a pocketfull of different sized wrenches checking critical fasteners and eyeballing everything.  Doing that walk around every few months can save you a lot more than an oil change.  Don't skimp on the basic maintenance.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »

Asking about never changing oil is like asking can I ride WOT with my eyes closed? Yes, you can. No, I wouldn't...

jb

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »

Too many important potential byproducts of the oil change. While it's draining is when I do a walk around with a pocketfull of different sized wrenches checking critical fasteners and eyeballing everything.  Doing that walk around every few months can save you a lot more than an oil change.  Don't skimp on the basic maintenance.
Well said  :2vrolijk_21: Jim (hd-dude) and I were just having a simular discussion at his shop. I've always done the maintenance on my trucks and cars and check everything while I'm under and in there, but I trust in Jim to do the bikes. He always finds something that needs attention or something I've screwed up.  ;D I  don't mind too much when I've neglected something on my bike, but with Melanie ( gf) riding her own, I trust Jim with her safty more than myself.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

Here is something similar. I've seen a commercial on TV for an Evinrude outboard motor stating lifetime maintenance free No oil change, filters or tuneups required for the life of the motor. Then i wonder how long the motors are intended to last or what they consider 'lifetime"    :nixweiss:

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »

I am always amazed when the conversation turns to engine oils and all the different truths, facts, claims, myths, stories, lies, etc etc., but the goal of extended oil changes, never mind "lifetime" oil blows me away. How much did you pay for that CVO?? And you want to save what, less than $50 on an oil change?
My 2 cents;
        -Like the previous posters said, a perfect time to check other basic maintenance items.
        -Air cooled motors use oil to both lubricate and cool the engine. Heat impacts oil life.
        -Oils have a detergent component that helps suspend dirt and carry it to the filter. What isn't captured by the filter   
          gradually builds up in the oil and is continuously circulated through the engine. The more dirt the more engine wear.
        -When we "tune" our engines with SERT, Mastertune or whatever, we are primarily making the air fuel ratio richer by   
          increasing the ratio of gas to air. This causes more gas to get pass the piston rings and mix with the oil in the case. 
          Gasoline is a lousy lubricant.
        - Invest in what you need to do your own oil changes, use only quality synthetic lubricants, make 5000 mile the max
           interval, but if you don't ride all year, change the oil before putting the bike away for the winter regardless of mileage.
           Don't forget to add a fuel stabilizer to  gas tank. (Save all receipts)

I personally use Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil in all 3 holes. I have been using Amsoil synthetic products in all my vehicles, 2 wheel, 4 wheel, even my lawnmowers, since the mid 70's with nothing but good results.
Tom P. 

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 04:51:10 AM »

I am always amazed when the conversation turns to engine oils and all the different truths, facts, claims, myths, stories, lies, etc etc., but the goal of extended oil changes, never mind "lifetime" oil blows me away. How much did you pay for that CVO?? And you want to save what, less than $50 on an oil change?
My 2 cents;
        -Like the previous posters said, a perfect time to check other basic maintenance items.
        -Air cooled motors use oil to both lubricate and cool the engine. Heat impacts oil life.
        -Oils have a detergent component that helps suspend dirt and carry it to the filter. What isn't captured by the filter   
          gradually builds up in the oil and is continuously circulated through the engine. The more dirt the more engine wear.
        -When we "tune" our engines with SERT, Mastertune or whatever, we are primarily making the air fuel ratio richer by   
          increasing the ratio of gas to air. This causes more gas to get pass the piston rings and mix with the oil in the case. 
          Gasoline is a lousy lubricant.
        - Invest in what you need to do your own oil changes, use only quality synthetic lubricants, make 5000 mile the max
           interval, but if you don't ride all year, change the oil before putting the bike away for the winter regardless of mileage.
           Don't forget to add a fuel stabilizer to  gas tank. (Save all receipts)

I personally use Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil in all 3 holes. I have been using Amsoil synthetic products in all my vehicles, 2 wheel, 4 wheel, even my lawnmowers, since the mid 70's with nothing but good results.
Tom P. 

Thank you Tom P.  I could not have said it better.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 11:06:16 AM »

highjagger,

Yikes = gruselig  (scary, spooky)

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.