Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil redlight goes on when in idle on hot days over 100F on my Ultra Classic CVO  (Read 2049 times)

Wetzlar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

HI,FRIENDS IM NEW ON THIS FORUM AND HOPE THAT SOMEONE HAS A ANSWER FOR MY PROBLEM.

I ride a UltraClassic CVO 110 Screaming Eagle 2015 with only 5.000 KM here in Rio de Janeiro Brazil and temperatures here are always 80F or more and with heavy traffic and on one of those days I was riding in heavy traffic with air temperature over 95F and when I stoped at a Traffic Light in idle the oil pressure went to 0 and the red light was on, when I started to move again the light went of and I saw that at 900/1000 rpm
it would lit again, after the heavy traffic I was at the freeway no problems at all and the outside temp was around 78F .Am I right in assuming that
my standard HD OIL 20/50W changed in May this year has lost his viscosity due to the heat dropping Oil pressure to zero in idle?
Do you think that changing to a multigrade /20/60W will solve my problem as HD says to use only Manual recommended oil?
Or should I assume that I can't ride my bike on air temp higher then 80Fn on heavy traffic?
Tks and I,m very happy to count on you Guys to help me!by the way Im 70 and ride Harleys for 50 years and my older bikes like Shovel,Panheads
,twin cams have never give me this kind of trouble.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer

Hi and Welcome.

Have you tried an external oil pressure gauge to validate your gauge on the bike as far as oil pressure?

It would be good to know what your engine temps  and oil temps are when your sitting in traffic etc and the typical riding your doing. 

You could try adding a shim to your existing cam plate which would up the oil pressure or look into a camplate like the S&S blue plate and pump.

Zippers makes and sells as well as many others the part is very inexpensive it’s the labor that costs.

Ultra cool, Budds and Jagg also make other options to cool the oil, this won’t help with pressure, but may gain you some longevity.

https://www.ultracoolfl.com/

The cam if it is the stock cam is a 255 it is a stump puller (big torque down low) has very little overlap so it runs hot.   You might also consider something like the love juggs to help cool the heads since you have a lot of traffic.

Additionally:

Some folks have tried the +1 oil pans again doesn’t address your pressure concerns but will add and extra qt of oil.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:55:50 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)

Hi and Welcome.

Have you tried an external oil pressure gauge to validate your gauge on the bike as far as oil pressure?

It would be good to know what your engine temps  and oil temps are when your sitting in traffic etc and the typical riding your doing. 

You could try adding a shim to your existing cam plate which would up the oil pressure or look into a camplate like the S&S blue plate and pump.

Zippers makes and sells as well as many others the part is very inexpensive it’s the labor that costs.

Ultra cool, Budds and Jagg also make other options to cool the oil, this won’t help with pressure, but may gain you some longevity.

https://www.ultracoolfl.com/

The cam if it is the stock cam is a 255 it is a stump puller (big torque down low) has very little overlap so it runs hot.   You might also consider something like the love juggs to help cool the heads since you have a lot of traffic.

Additionally:

Some folks have tried the +1 oil pans again doesn’t address your pressure concerns but will add and extra qt of oil.

It would also be helpful to know what rpm’s the motor is idling at when the light is/goes on.

Also, when does the red light turn off when you increase the idle?

Regards

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded

Never good to see an oil light come on. That said, keep in mind Harley’s use a high volume low pressure oil pump. Had similar symptoms with an Evo Wide Glide back in the 90s.  You’ve got some good advice on this thread already. Confirm they oil pressure is really low and that is not a oil sender problem. If confirmed, consider a new pump such as an S&S.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Wetzlar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Never good to see an oil light come on. That said, keep in mind Harley’s use a high volume low pressure oil pump. Had similar symptoms with an Evo Wide Glide back in the 90s.  You’ve got some good advice on this thread already. Confirm they oil pressure is really low and that is not a oil sender problem. If confirmed, consider a new pump such as an S&S.

First of all tks for the quick replay of good advise.
I will put the gauge on the bike to check the oil pressure outside, but as I read ,heat causes  oil viscosity to drop and the oil will be a lot more fluid who maybe could cause the pressure loss on idle,I got this issue on heavy street
traffic at idle at 950rpm and about 95 to 120F when you throttle up at about 1200rpm the light went out, but afterwards already out of the traffic jam the light didn't come on again

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

Is there adequate oil level?? less than a quart low??

How often do you change the oil??

HD recommends 5,000 miles,,, I change mine in 3-4,000 miles, if I run it much longer I can hear the difference in the Engine...

All good advice here,,, I would try Redline 20/60 V-Twin oil and see if that helps your issue...

Let us know what works for you??

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Wetzlar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

At the local HD Store they told me that they use the recomended synthetic oil Motul 25/50w multigrade that should be fine to use in the range of 65 to 100F,I am a old guy and don't ride my bike to often but I keep it in top shape
and have change the engine oil in may this year and have ride around 1200 miles since then, the oil is clear and on the mark,I think i will try to change it for the 25/60w and see what happens but first i will put a gauge to check the pressure to see if any irregularities occurs.Can anyone tell me the pressure on idle ,2000 ,3000 rpm I have read it will be around 0,9 bar on idle and 1,9 on 2000/3000 is that correct?

MCE

Provided nothing else is wrong, you can shim the pressure relief spring. Put a small washer (or Two) behind it, or get an
aftermarket spring.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

At the local HD Store they told me that they use the recomended synthetic oil Motul 25/50w multigrade that should be fine to use in the range of 65 to 100F,I am a old guy and don't ride my bike to often but I keep it in top shape
and have change the engine oil in may this year and have ride around 1200 miles since then, the oil is clear and on the mark,I think i will try to change it for the 25/60w and see what happens but first i will put a gauge to check the pressure to see if any irregularities occurs.Can anyone tell me the pressure on idle ,2000 ,3000 rpm I have read it will be around 0,9 bar on idle and 1,9 on 2000/3000 is that correct?
Was the Engine Idle Temperature Management System activated ?? (rear cylinder cut off at idle). If activated, it could have allowed the idle to drop too low in the hot conditions??

Congrats on your 50 years on HD  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Wetzlar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Tks
I was today at HD Rio de Janeiro and they put a gauge and we have stressed the bike temp up to 140C(if you go higher than that the liquid will boil despite the fans) and no red lights no in idle or in normal rpm of 2000/3000.They ask me to observe and report any drop on oil pressure  maybe the idle temp management
was the responsible for the red light but I still belive that the Harley Oil 20/50w was responsible for the problem as the Service Manager told me they have received a technical advice to use here in Brazil this Oil for all HD types but if you look at my bike manual
is stated that we should use the Screaming Eagle S3 on the other side they said at Harley they have not seen a case like that so im at the same spot, no spins on hot days anymore for me ,maybe put some ice cubs on the oil!kkk (now summer is very near and temps over 105F are not rare over here)
If the problem occurs again i will change the oil to S.eagle and see what happens!
Tks for you all your help was really appreciated!
But if anyone has any ideas please I wanna hear them.

J.D.

Easiest thing to do is run full synthetic 20w-50 or 20w-60, keep the oil level good and full, and change it more often than average.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.