Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590611 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1800 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »

He was carrying it with the hammer down on a chambered round which he had been warned about for years. (Forest Gump stupid is as stupid does kind of guy). Seatbelt caught the hammer and slipped off the hammer before going to full cock.  Hammer did not catch on the half-cock notch(later determined the sear bounced and prevented that)  hammer then fell on a loaded round.

The only way to carry a 1911 of any kind safely is
#1. Cocked and locked (the reason for extended safeties)
#2. Hammer down on an empty chamber
#3. Not at all

Of course I am a rookie on carrying a 1911 having owned one of the first 1970 Mark IV and carrying it till 2010.

And that is the reason I do not carry a 1911 frame (I have 2)
MY HK, XDM or Glock are safer to me with a first shot being double action.

cocked and locked always un-nerved me, but I knew better than to put one in the hole with hammer down (ultra stupid) and if I really needed a gun, not sure there is enough time to rachet the slide back.

hence my carrying a Kel-tec, Glock, HK compact.

I no longer carry my Para ordinance or Kimber.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

denis

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2114 cvo ultra blue
« Reply #1801 on: April 16, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

im a leo i carry always in every state on my pearson with a ccr permit

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #1802 on: April 16, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

im a leo i carry always in every state on my pearson with a ccr permit
If you're LEO you don't need a concealed carry permit (especially since there isn't a nationwide cc permit and some states don't have reciprocity with others) you can carry under the Law Enforcement Act of 2004.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1803 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »

Keats I knew there was a reason the Kimber bothered me. and I must say I have carried it with one in the pipe and the hammer down. Just wasn't comfortable. Still haven't found a better gun than the HK P7 from a safety and accuracy standpoint. Nothing comes close. Dont carry it much anymore sine they are becoming hard to find!

Biglew

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #1804 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »

So Darth I too have the older snake slayer. Which do you prefer the .45LC or the 000 buckshot? That long colt screams out of the gun. If I really want to make some noise I get out the FN 5.7 that I carry with the 30 rd clips. :orange: :orange:

I like the 410 shells!

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #1805 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:31 PM »

And that is the reason I do not carry a 1911 frame (I have 2)
MY HK, XDM or Glock are safer to me with a first shot being double action.

cocked and locked always un-nerved me, but I knew better than to put one in the hole with hammer down (ultra stupid) and if I really needed a gun, not sure there is enough time to rachet the slide back.

hence my carrying a Kel-tec, Glock, HK compact.

I no longer carry my Para ordinance or Kimber.

No more 1911 based for me since 2010 for cc either.  I have become a Sig bigot and always have one ready and handy

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #1806 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »

No more 1911 based for me since 2010 for cc either.  I have become a Sig bigot and always have one ready and handy

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #1807 on: April 16, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

I guess I'm old school...  Models 36 smith & Wesson for me. Always just felt more comfortable with a revolver while on the bike for some reason. Not knocking auto's at all. I have several 1911's and my high power 9mm browning is my all time favorite gun to shoot.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #1808 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:35 AM »

Colt Compact 911 / 45 ACP
DND

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #1809 on: April 17, 2012, 06:32:33 AM »

Colt Compact 911 / 45 ACP
Maybe the model 1911 Colt was what they fashioned the nine one one emergency call numbers from.....makes sense to me.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #1810 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:14 AM »

Yes
DND

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #1811 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »

Like ammo, some popular guns are becoming hard to find. Ruger had to put a hold on new orders after the the million gun thing.

My local retailer cant get me either the S&W Bodyguard 380 or the Kel Tec 2000 (in G-19) right now.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1812 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

I guess the thing that I am most worried about is I see a hugh amount of people buying handguns. And a large number of them are not even sure which end the bullet comes out of. Well maybe they do, but to listen to these newbies talk they have no intention or going to the range and learning how this firearm thing works. This scares the crap out of me. Back in my days in rural NC it was a rite of passage to hunt and fish and do those things with dad. I really believe that until you kill somethng I mean watch what you just shot die that you have no idea what this gun thing is about. It was a big deal when we killed game and we always ate what we killed. when you get up close and personal with the firearm and the life you took it will change your outlook. I'm glad I had the experience and i shared it with my girls when they were in their late teens because they wanted the experience and to spend some time with dad doing some non girley things and it changed there video game thinking. And we still do it today.

I know folks have the right as a citizen of the great nation to own firearms but if you dont spend some time REALLY learning how it operates and what it can do it might as well be a stapler. Im as afraid of these folks as I an the guy that would break into my house. They could be the final straw in our right to own! Hope not, sorry for the rant.
If you own a gun shoot it regularly and encourge others to do the same or better yet take a newbie to the range. These are dangerous times educate others to protect our rights to carry!!
BigLew

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #1813 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

I guess the thing that I am most worried about is I see a hugh amount of people buying handguns. And a large number of them are not even sure which end the bullet comes out of. Well maybe they do, but to listen to these newbies talk they have no intention or going to the range and learning how this firearm thing works. This scares the crap out of me. Back in my days in rural NC it was a rite of passage to hunt and fish and do those things with dad. I really believe that until you kill somethng I mean watch what you just shot die that you have no idea what this gun thing is about. It was a big deal when we killed game and we always ate what we killed. when you get up close and personal with the firearm and the life you took it will change your outlook. I'm glad I had the experience and i shared it with my girls when they were in their late teens because they wanted the experience and to spend some time with dad doing some non girley things and it changed there video game thinking. And we still do it today.

I know folks have the right as a citizen of the great nation to own firearms but if you dont spend some time REALLY learning how it operates and what it can do it might as well be a stapler. Im as afraid of these folks as I an the guy that would break into my house. They could be the final straw in our right to own! Hope not, sorry for the rant.
If you own a gun shoot it regularly and encourge others to do the same or better yet take a newbie to the range. These are dangerous times educate others to protect our rights to carry!!
BigLew
I liked your 'rant', biglew.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #1814 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »

100% agree BigLew.

Another thing to think about....and I mean REALLY think about it... Is how are you going to react when and of you have to use the firearm? Are you really prepared to shoot someone else, even if it's self defense? If you're going to shoot someone, are you aiming for the knee, or critical mass? In my humble opinion, if you're not prepared to shoot for critcal mass, without hesitation, then, you better not pull it out, and it might be better if you didn't even have it.

I've never had to pull a gun on someone. I hope and pray I never have to. But, I have given it serious thought to how I'll react. Be prepared. It's not a game nor a toy.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 201

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.