Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590677 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1815 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »

100% agree BigLew.

Another thing to think about....and I mean REALLY think about it... Is how are you going to react when and of you have to use the firearm? Are you really prepared to shoot someone else, even if it's self defense? If you're going to shoot someone, are you aiming for the knee, or critical mass? In my humble opinion, if you're not prepared to shoot for critcal mass, without hesitation, then, you better not pull it out, and it might be better if you didn't even have it.

I've never had to pull a gun on someone. I hope and pray I never have to. But, I have given it serious thought to how I'll react. Be prepared. It's not a game nor a toy.
X 2 me either

BigLew

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #1816 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »

Agree completely.  A person needs to get totally comfortable with their handgun, or any firearm they own for that matter.  Otherwise, it's useless to you...or worse, it will ge taken away from you by the bad guy and used on you.

I have never shot a human being (I somehow missed having to go to 'Nam), but I have gone over the scenario in my head a hundred times, at least.  That doesn't mean I'll react well if it come to that, but at least the possibility is rattling around in my head.  If I'm going to shoot someone, I'll do my best to make sure they never get up again.  The last thing I want to do is injure them and have them either sue me, or come after me when they're mended.

Let's just all hope that it never comes to that for any of us...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #1817 on: April 17, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »

Times have really changed in this country all over....even the little town I live in and all around in the county have frequent 'shootings' now....not all associated with robberies, either.  Seems that a lot of street 'toughs' now are carrying and shooting people as if it's a video game.  It's real life and they're acting as if it's a movie set. No 'respect' for anyone or anything it seems.  :( Almost as scary as the cell-phone cagers running over riders.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #1818 on: April 17, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »

When I went to the CCP class, I was disappointed to see how little to no training is actually required to carry a weapon on you. The class lasted 45 min and 3 shots at the range. The lady in front of me did not know the difference between muffler and muzzle and still passed the course. Don't blame the guns , is the stupid people that gives them bad reputation. Is like blaming the cars for all the morons behind the wheel. :drink: 

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1819 on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »

Maybe we should double the fee for the CCp and you get a complementary 1 year pass at the local range and require you to show up and shoot at least once a month. I'm not for more reqs from Big Brother, just a thought.

BigLew

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #1820 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »

When I went to the CCP class, I was disappointed to see how little to no training is actually required to carry a weapon on you. The class lasted 45 min and 3 shots at the range. The lady in front of me did not know the difference between muffler and muzzle and still passed the course. Don't blame the guns , is the stupid people that gives them bad reputation. Is like blaming the cars for all the morons behind the wheel. :drink: 

Agreed, even a hammer is a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands...

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #1821 on: April 18, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »

Floriduh is full of exceptional idiots...part of gunshow class is walking through the paperwork step by step because some folks are that stupid. 

I am waiting on a new S&W Shield in .40 for something different.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #1822 on: April 18, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »

WOW. NC requires 10 hrs of class and 50 rounds fired on the range at various targets.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #1823 on: April 18, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

Floriduh is full of exceptional idiots...part of gunshow class is walking through the paperwork step by step because some folks are that stupid. 

I am waiting on a new S&W Shield in .40 for something different.

HAHAHA Is true I forgot about that, the walk you thru the whole application like it was some sort is dark contract that you were signing your life away or something. So the actual class/learning time is even less  HAHAHHAHA

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #1824 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

Im jussayin... :D

I think it would be prudent for deeper backround checks but some resonable intelligence testing, I guess that could apply to owning pets, breeding and driving too... ::)

Some states dont talk to other states so a transient crazed criminal can come to the Gunshine State go to a gun show pay cash and walk away armed...There is a gap..... also some more pratical execution, pardon the pun..I have had some shady dudes asking me to buy guns at a show before, sketchy dudes had me on FPCON walking out... :'(

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #1825 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »

So, the answer is to make it more expensive or difficult for a law abiding citizen to get a concealed weapons permit?? Wrong answer. Does anyone know the statistics for how many crimes are committed by concealed weapon permit holders (the stupid and uneducated ones included) with guns? It's far less than 1% per year (I'm not going to go through where I found the stat, do your own homework). The point here is that criminals will continue to commit crimes no matter how much it costs or how deep the background check or how much training is required to get a concealed weapons permit because criminals don't care about getting them. Don't blame the guns or the concealed weapons holders for shooting crimes. Blame criminals.   :2vrolijk_21:
Trust, but verify.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1826 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »

So, the answer is to make it more expensive or difficult for a law abiding citizen to get a concealed weapons permit?? Wrong answer. Does anyone know the statistics for how many crimes are committed by concealed weapon permit holders (the stupid and uneducated ones included) with guns? It's far less than 1% per year (I'm not going to go through where I found the stat, do your own homework). The point here is that criminals will continue to commit crimes no matter how much it costs or how deep the background check or how much training is required to get a concealed weapons permit because criminals don't care about getting them. Don't blame the guns or the concealed weapons holders for shooting crimes. Blame criminals.   :2vrolijk_21:
Hang on I agree with what you are saying and the number of CC folks commiting felonies is very very small. But buying a long gun is one thing (it will stay at home most of the time) but handguns thats a different deal. # years ago i dont know that it bothered me, but there is a real panic out there with average americans and a lot are buying handguns and carrying legal and not so legal. I dont want to loose my rights to carry because a new group of nuts want to carry a pistol around and do something stupid.(there are a lot of folks that would love for that to happen) I dont know what the answer is but something needs to be in place. Hey you get a drivers permit to drive and they test you and make you preform before you can drive, just saying!

BigLew

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #1827 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

I agree with you Lew...but the 'nuts' usually don't get their weapons legally.  Here in Cali-disarmya, it's next to impossible to get a CC license, unless you carry diamonds, large amounts of cash or are a sworn officer of the law.  So, consequently the only one's with firearms are the cops and bad guys. The exception being the vendors or jewelry salemen who are licensed.

After the unfortunate school shooting in Oakland last week, their Mayor started the rant about gun control again.  If the guy had gone in with a pickax and hacked them up instead, would they be calling for outlawing and controlling pickaxes?  A weapon is only a deadly object in the hands of a killer.  That killer will find a way to kill, however available.  Leaving average law abiding citizens unarmed just makes them an easy target.  I believe with the proper training as indicated above, anyone who would be otherwise qualified should be able to have a reasonable weapon with which to protect life and home.  The U.S.Constitution gives us that right.

This whole issue is about government control over so many parts of our lives.  It has grown increasingly intrusive since 9/11 and has no signs of letting up.  Unfortunately, our government forgets they work at the will of the people, not the other way around.

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1828 on: April 18, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

The problem with demanding more training is, it does force a barrier to realizing what we perceive as a fundimental right.  Frankly, I'd love nothing better than to demand more retarded drivers to take additional courses, and for that matter screen out those found to be too stupid to drive, but we all know that's not happening any time soon.

I think the reality is, all of us 2A supporters have to make a concerted effort to reach out and embrace our family and friends to offer going to the range together. To seek out IDPA and other match type training, and change the perception that training is wholesome fun, and not boring school work.  Imho, part of winning back years of our suppressed rights includes changing the mainstream ideals of how guns fit into our every day lives. Once we erase the years if stigmas, doing family match shooting might be just as popular as bowling.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #1829 on: April 18, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

You missed my sarcasm...nearly one million licenced Floridians probably will not commit a crime today involving a cwp, and many more across the nation.

They may drive drunk or have text behind the wheel and kill, maim someone but not shoot them.

A more difficult practical exam, here in Florida may save a life or two, I do not know how difficult the practical exams are in other states. Here they don't even show the applicants how to clear a weapon. Private instruction is offered during the class on how to fill out paperwork. I have been scared dipless at some ranges down here..by legal owners, but I digress to pets, cars and kids..some folk just shouldn't outta.

I would like a national reciprocity for any cwp. State to state laws that make criminals out of law abiding citizens by carrying a gun through or into the state? Figger that one out, that is criminal. :nixweiss:

Back to the topic.... I am still waiting on the S&W Shield in .40 and really drooling over a bobtailed Nighthawk Talon II at the upscale shop where it is more expensive to arm up   ;)
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 201

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.