Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590651 times)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2550 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »

Do people miss in actual shootings due to lack of practice OR lack of focus or lack of will???

I'd say lack of will plays a significant part. It takes brass ones for an average person (non criminal element) to shoot someone with good reason. If you're a responsibly armed citizen (not LE) and you have the will to shoot somebody, the way I see it is your life is pretty much over or at least financially devastated. If you get through the potential criminal charges next comes civil liability, funding a legal team for both issues. Probably a different matter if an intruder enters your home in a ''stand your ground' state, but still extremely problematic and expensive. I carry, but I'd have to be convinced that either I act or me or somebody I care about would be dead or injured if I did not. Even displaying a weapon represents criminal threatening outside your domicile in most places. Should you become involved in a life threatening event and wait for LO to bail you out, they will react, not act. By the time help arrives it would most likely be too late. This is an extremely complex issue...

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2551 on: December 07, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »

I believe mindset it utmost important which not only includes being as proficient in its use as you can be but also using it if the need arises. If you do not have the proper mindset than for sure you should not be carrying let alone brandishing...the bad guy will just steal your unused firearm from your cold dead body. Better to be just dead instead of dead and supplying the bad guys with more illegally obtained firearms.
If you have to stop and think if you should use your firearm or to put it a better way, if you have the time to debate with yourself wether our not you should use your handgun then maybe your life is not in jeopardy at that moment. If you are in fear of your life I am thinking you will know it immediately and have the mindset to act accordingly.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2552 on: December 07, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »

Many good thoughts here in the above posts, maybe we need a "Should you carry thread?"
Proper mindset and will to use deadly force is important issues. Many find it easy to hit the target on a range and yet have trouble in on the street situations. I haven't seen too many cases of it being the other way though in my experience.
Things that can affect accuracy can be from various small things that can add up.
Some examples are:
It may be easier to shoot an animal then a person if you have strict religious beliefs and in the back of your mind you think you may be "murdering" someone.(will to use the force needed.)
Incident occurs when you least expect it (defensive mindset not working at the time). You may be thinking about grocery list etc. when walking into a convenience store not looking for possible suspects etc.
The attacker may not fit your preconceived notion of who you think is dangerous, could be a different color, sex, ethnicity of who you expected or even their age. What if the attacker looks like one of you kids or grandparents? This could delay your response or cause you to miss.
What about if you have the right mindset or will but you have not practiced with new weapon, ammo or carry position? Then you have lighting conditions, have you shot in all lighting setups and weather or clothing layers?
The suspect may not move the way you anticipated, many folks don't realize how fast a self defense situation occurs. And how few shots are fired on average.

As mentioned above you will not be sued or criminally charged in most cases of shooting an animal or target but you should be mentally prepared for legal issues if you use a weapon to defend yourself regardless. Many LEOs are trained to play a "What if" scenarios through their brains while they are on the street so they are mentally prepared to use force with confidence and accuracy if needed. Not to make them paranoid but to prevent if possible any delay in using the amount of force necessary to control a situation so they can end their shift and go home to their families. There can be a delay in your response if you don't know the legality of when you can use deadly force and when you can't. So I encourage everyone who carries to do their homework and understand their responsibilities along with their rights to carry.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2553 on: December 07, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

I'd say lack of will plays a significant part. It takes brass ones for an average person (non criminal element) to shoot someone with good reason. If you're a responsibly armed citizen (not LE) and you have the will to shoot somebody, the way I see it is your life is pretty much over or at least financially devastated. If you get through the potential criminal charges next comes civil liability, funding a legal team for both issues. Probably a different matter if an intruder enters your home in a ''stand your ground' state, but still extremely problematic and expensive. I carry, but I'd have to be convinced that either I act or me or somebody I care about would be dead or injured if I did not. Even displaying a weapon represents criminal threatening outside your domicile in most places. Should you become involved in a life threatening event and wait for LO to bail you out, they will react, not act. By the time help arrives it would most likely be too late. This is an extremely complex issue...
kiro I agree with you 100% I carry and I am not (LEO) for me to draw and fire it would have to be very serious. There's insurance  out there for those who wish to have it for the off chance you do shoot someone. Then your at least legally covered by an attorney.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2554 on: December 07, 2014, 10:52:33 PM »

currently a P90 Ruger 45, looking at the S&W Sheild 9mm, and a Glock 42. anyone have any opinions on the sheild 9mm looking at it as an backup to the 45 on trips, but useful as an everyday carry also. like the feel of it and weight of it. the glock is just cute and for the wife mostly "hahaha" any excuse to by two toys
I carry a shield in 40cal. it's slimmer than most making it easy to conceal but the 9 mm version only carries 8 rounds in the magazine almost making carrying a second magazine a requirement.(i'm used to my fnp 9 with 16 rounds) I haven't fired the 9 mm but my 40 has a pretty snappy recoil. all in all I like carrying it over any of my other handguns.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #2555 on: December 08, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »

That's the basis of my question. Because of reciprocity, what do you do if you're going to be travelling through a state that does not honor your cwp?

:indian_chief:

Become a criminal and break the law......................oh wait already do that by exceeding the speed limit.......... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2556 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

Because of reciprocity, what do you do if you're going to be traveling through a state that does not honor your cwp?

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (aka the  McClure-Volkmer Act) allows you to transport firearms while following the criteria outlined in the Act - unloaded, neither firearm or ammunition being transported can be readily accessible or directly accessible in the transport vehicle, in locked container, etc. I print and keep a copy of the Act with me if in this situation. However, there are several states with such strict gun laws I simply would never take a chance. Do some research on line and you'll gather plenty of information on which states to avoid.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2557 on: December 08, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

When heading to New Hampshire, or Maine, it's damn near impossible to get there from here without passing through New York. So breaking the law becomes a necessity when riding a bike or driving a car.
Just carry a copy of the 2nd Amendment and a good lawyers phone #.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2558 on: December 08, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

Any email or questions about weapon laws I always use the gold standard of current correct info..the NRA.
Here is  a link for guidelines about weapons transport.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2559 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Glad to see GA. accepts my WV Permit to Carry now.  Used to worry about that on my way to Daytona.  8) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2560 on: December 09, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (aka the  McClure-Volkmer Act) allows you to transport firearms while following the criteria outlined in the Act - unloaded, neither firearm or ammunition being transported can be readily accessible or directly accessible in the transport vehicle, in locked container, etc. I print and keep a copy of the Act with me if in this situation. However, there are several states with such strict gun laws I simply would never take a chance. Do some research on line and you'll gather plenty of information on which states to avoid.

NJ is one state that does not care about that law!  More than one case the NRA has fought NJ this, NRA wins.  However the gun owner spent days in Jail, took years to get gun back, and cost many thousands of dollars.

States I avoid like the Plague are NJ, NY, CT, RI and MA.  Seems they do not know what the second amendment is.  NJ is the worst.  IL, OR and CA are the only other states than those in New England that do not honor my permit.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2561 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »

NJ is one state that does not care about that law!  More than one case the NRA has fought NJ this, NRA wins.  However the gun owner spent days in Jail, took years to get gun back, and cost many thousands of dollars. States I avoid like the Plague are NJ, NY, CT, RI and MA.

You got that right Dave... This is a real problem for me traveling south as I must travel through one or more of the states listed. MA for example has a mandatory one year in prison if you get caught with a gun anywhere in your vehicle. Most information indicates the best thing to do if transporting a weapon is to avoid those states - even if you win you lose in a legal action. 

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2562 on: December 09, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »

As reported by Kiro, you cannot leave Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine except by boat without passing through one of these hostile gun states.  You can count Canada in that list too.

It is sad that many of the states that were so fundamental in the forming of this nation and on the forefront of firearm development and production are the most hostile to the freedoms enshrined in the Bill of Rights.

It also amazes me that these hostile states including Illinois are home to a large number of firearm manufactures.  I think that they should make a statement and move ALL operations to 2nd Amendment friendly states.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2563 on: December 09, 2014, 12:44:07 PM »

S&W Bodyguard 380 in the CVO Limited and usually with me
SCCY CPX-2 9mm in the RV
Wife carries Taurus 380
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2564 on: December 09, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

MA is like a Montana trout stream, catch and release. Convicted felons caught with a firearm almost never see that "mandatory 1 year in jail" never mind a basically law abiding individual. We got a whole lotta laws...just not a lot of enforced ones. All states need to honor CCW permits as drivers licenses are. The different laws by different states causes too many problems. Some areas even attempt to ignore the HR-218 bill that allows current/retired LEO's to carry concealed. (NYC comes to mind very quickly) A N.Y.C. officer told me personally that they are supposed to arrest ANYONE with a concealed handgun regardless if L.E. or not ??? Of course this was during the "leadership" of one named Bloomberg
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 201

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.