Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590682 times)

Asphalt_Cowboy

Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2850 on: June 08, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »

:-\

OK,  I'm seeing around what a 190+ pages of post here and many posting their "carry" habits.  So,  I'm an old guy that has shotguns he used many years ago while pheasant hunting and duck hunting with quail/rabbits and squirrels as an "extra" bonus while out there.  Also did some goose hunting years ago along the Missouri River fly way........in Nebraska.

Sadly,  I have had no buddies to hunt with now that I'm located in coastal No. Carolina..........and I'm increasingly concerned about the political climate.

I do not have a concealed carry permit and obviously I do not carry a pistol/gun around.............but with current events,  I do indeed have some major concerns for my safety and that of my wife and others.  I've recently been thinking seriously about taking a concealed carry class and geting a permit to carry..........I will be (extremely concerned) if Hilliary gets the nod to become our next president.

If that happens,  I will be first in line locally to sign up for a class and get my permit.......and as a result,  some concealable pistol (not sure just what).

My question to all is................those of you that have posted here with the permits and an obvious (love of) guns for protection................How many of you have encountered a real/live situation where your concealed gun saved your azz or avoided an otherwise bad situation. :nixweiss:

I have never had to use it, then again, I've never had to use my life insurance policy either, but I have one. :).

Honestly, for me it's a personal safety thing. I was a cop in the military so I have a good amount of weapons training, etc and am comfortable carrying. Ya just never know in the crazy damn world we live in now. Don't get me wrong though, if something were to break out in a crowd I was near or something, my first priority is getting the hell out of there. I don't carry to be billy bad ass trying to save the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #2851 on: June 08, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

OK,  I'm seeing around what a 190+ pages of post here and many posting their "carry" habits.  So,  I'm an old guy that has shotguns he used many years ago while pheasant hunting and duck hunting with quail/rabbits and squirrels as an "extra" bonus while out there.  Also did some goose hunting years ago along the Missouri River fly way........in Nebraska.

Sadly,  I have had no buddies to hunt with now that I'm located in coastal No. Carolina..........and I'm increasingly concerned about the political climate.

I do not have a concealed carry permit and obviously I do not carry a pistol/gun around.............but with current events,  I do indeed have some major concerns for my safety and that of my wife and others.  I've recently been thinking seriously about taking a concealed carry class and geting a permit to carry..........I will be (extremely concerned) if Hilliary gets the nod to become our next president.

If that happens,  I will be first in line locally to sign up for a class and get my permit.......and as a result,  some concealable pistol (not sure just what).

My question to all is................those of you that have posted here with the permits and an obvious (love of) guns for protection................How many of you have encountered a real/live situation where your concealed gun saved your azz or avoided an otherwise bad situation. :nixweiss:

FWIW:  What you are taught in the Concealed class is that you NEVER pull out the weapon unless you are in fear of your life and are prepared to shoot to kill. The old cowboy shoots the aggressor in the arm is not the way it is. Also, you are taught to never pull the gun out just to scare anyone.

Asphalt_Cowboy

« Reply #2852 on: June 08, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »

FWIW:  What you are taught in the Concealed class is that you NEVER pull out the weapon unless you are in fear of your life and are prepared to shoot to kill. The old cowboy shoots the aggressor in the arm is not the way it is. Also, you are taught to never pull the gun out just to scare anyone.

:2vrolijk_21: Forgot to mention that

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2853 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:20 PM »

if, you have concerns which you stated you did and fears for you and your wifes safety. then take the course and learn that weapon as well as you know the back of your hand! after taking the course and learning to use the firearm of choice and hopefully it gives you the confidence you want to defend yourself. the last question is pointless! take the course and learn to use that weapon. having said all that i hope you never ever use it.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2854 on: June 08, 2016, 10:11:52 PM »

Have a buddy who is KSP. He read Hubbards post about a "Corporal" making legal statement and laughed. Said you better check with a more informed person before placing yourself in a compromising position.
I have no idea but would think DOT or even a check of state gun laws would be a good idea.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2855 on: June 08, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

Have a buddy who is KSP. He read Hubbards post about a "Corporal" making legal statement and laughed. Said you better check with a more informed person before placing yourself in a compromising position.
I have no idea but would think DOT or even a check of state gun laws would be a good idea.

I'll take that advice.  As we perform DOT Inspections at the Dealership, I just called my Service Manager, J.D., and asked him to call the DOT Officer, and tell him I wanted to talk to him tomorrow.  I'll post his response as soon as he comes up.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2856 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »

I'll take that advice.  As we perform DOT Inspections at the Dealership, I just called my Service Manager, J.D., and asked him to call the DOT Officer, and tell him I wanted to talk to him tomorrow.  I'll post his response as soon as he comes up.  Later--HUBBARD   
better get it in writing! then get an attorney to reduce it to lay language. then hope the law does not change next week. funny how that 2nd amendant right is explained so simply. but, somehow becomes very complicated depending on where you are. not trying to be a smart alec. you are going about it the right way and will appreciate and looking forward to your post regarding this info.  :2vrolijk_21:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2857 on: June 08, 2016, 11:42:12 PM »

For many years, I had a very quick temper, and I wore that defect of character as a badge of honor. However, I did have the presence of mind to not go healed into certain environments I had the displeasure of frequenting back then.  I'm thankful for that.  Hell, I'm alive and free because of that!  But today, Ol' Hub has mellowed, or better yet, maybe I've finally grown up, and have become a man.  I cherish my life, and the life of my fellow man.  I don't pack a gun to show-off, or to project or create fear.  I pack it for the protection of my person, my family, and my property, which I love, and that I own.  I pray to God Almighty I never have to pull it.  Ever.  That said, however, I am proficent with a handgun, and I stand ready to defend myself, if, God forbid, the unfortunate situation would come about.  But I don't walk around consumed with that.  I don't walk around lookin' for somebody to "Bust-a cap" on!  Later--HUBBARD 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:31:37 AM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #2858 on: June 09, 2016, 06:56:12 AM »

Never "shoot to kill." Always shoot to "stop the threat." Sounds so much better when questioned by the police or trial judge.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #2859 on: June 09, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »

Most of us probably have not, and are thankful for that. But if the day comes, I will be prepared to protect myself and others. I'd suggest you join the NRA along with taking a concealed carry class. The NRA (American Rifleman magazine) publishes a list of people who have used firearms to save themselves from armed intruders and other threats each month.

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2860 on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »

Lots of folks carrying that ought not to be, shooting on the riverbank is one thing, live action is another. I've seen some that like to brandish a firearm thinking that's gonna scare someone.  :nixweiss: Most that get into a situation will be in the fetal position hollering for their mommy.  :nixweiss:

When you shoot at someone you shoot to kill.   :rifle:

Carry safely everyone  :bananarock:

TN
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:35:16 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #2861 on: June 09, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »

In case anyone misses my point about "shoot to kill" vs. "stop the threat", it's best not to tell anyone you shot someone with the intent to kill them, even if that's the case. Prosecution attorneys love people who say that. Shoot center mass (chest area) and you will have the best chance of stopping the threat. As Hubbard would say: There endeth the lesson.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:20:27 AM by RoadDawg »

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2862 on: June 09, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »

Most of us probably have not, and are thankful for that. But if the day comes, I will be prepared to protect myself and others. I'd suggest you join the NRA along with taking a concealed carry class. The NRA (American Rifleman magazine) publishes a list of people who have used firearms to save themselves from armed intruders and other threats each month.

::)  Thanks to all for the feedback.  I am indeed a member of the NRA and have been off/on since the 70's (Mostly on....)

I have had and still do have some hangups with certain stances that have come from the NRA.  Examples would be making armor piercing ammo available to the general public and also assault type rifles.  It's not at all clear to me why someone feels the need to have such weapons.............But that is my perspective.....Not wanting to turn this into any kind of pissing contest over what is or is not necessary. :drink:

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #2863 on: June 09, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »

::)  Thanks to all for the feedback.  I am indeed a member of the NRA and have been off/on since the 70's (Mostly on....)

I have had and still do have some hangups with certain stances that have come from the NRA.  Examples would be making armor piercing ammo available to the general public and also assault type rifles.  It's not at all clear to me why someone feels the need to have such weapons.............But that is my perspective.....Not wanting to turn this into any kind of pissing contest over what is or is not necessary. :drink:
I have an AR-15 that I purchased primarily for self defense if/when the chit really hits the fan. The way things are going in this country with the huge decrease in military funding, etc., and the influx of illegals from all over the world crossing our unprotected borders we might be in for a heluva fight one day. I'm sure not waiting for anyone to come and protect me and mine. Hope it never comes to that, but if it does I'll be wanting more than a handgun to defend myself. Once they take your "assault weapon" they'll come for the others too. Just a matter of time. Don't let it happen. The real problem in this country is our criminal justice system. The title really does fit: justice for criminals and the hell with everyone else! My 2 cents  ;D

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2864 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

I still can't believe the arrogance of the DOT Official I had the miserable occasion to talk to today.  Talk about somebody that thinks they are J. Edgar Hoover, would be an understatement.  Now listen, guys, I was polite and respectful, but this prick treated me like I was a common thug.  First thing he told me was he was instrumental in getting the State to allow DOT officers to carry a gun, and equip their vehicles with Radar, so, as he said, "they could control these idiots out here driving Trucks like they were cars!"  He then went on to inform me that, in his view, if a man needs a gun to drive a Truck, he needs to seek other employment.  He then said that while it is legal, at this time, to carry a firearm in a Commercial Vehicle in WV, he and his "people", were trying to limit that by getting a law passed that required the gun to be unloaded, and the gun and ammo be placed in a lock box, on the opposite side of the Truck, if you're driving a Day-Cab, and if you're driving a Sleeper Cab, require the gun and ammo be in a lock box, outside the cab, in the side door, under the Sleeper.  I was stunned at the drivel that came out of this guys mouth!  It was like I was dreaming, and beamed-down into liberal hell!  I mean, it was all I could do to not get his ass wound up, but I considered the source, and just listened.  What's worse than that is, that's the kind of people we've got out here in the WV DOT.  He's been fed all this chit, too, 'cause it's as obvious as the balls on a tall dog, that he lacked the intelligence to be speaking his own words.  The one thing he said that did ring true with me was; "don't break the law, and you won't get stopped.  If you don't get stopped, you won't get searched."  If this moron represents the majority of LEO's here, it's a sad day in the Mountain State.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD         
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 201

Page created in 0.676 seconds with 21 queries.