Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590649 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1410 on: December 14, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »

For those lucky enough to carry.

http://www.versacarry.com/

Another one of those "why didn't I think of that?"
I use a closet hook that works on almost the same principal, been using for about 20 years.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #1411 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:37 AM »

For those lucky enough to carry.

http://www.versacarry.com/

Nice find! I use one of these for a compact glock  http://www.clipdraw.com/ but I've got a smith that I don't wanna ugly up with anything and that'll work nice  :2vrolijk_21:

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #1412 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:01 AM »

I like that versacarry. Tried to order one but they are on back log for the Christmas shopping season. I guess I'll have to wait...
Trust, but verify.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1413 on: December 15, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »

If you wear for many hours a day, having a pistol against your skin is going to get uncomfortable real quick. That's before you figure out what your body moisture is going to do the tthe finish of you weapon.

Imho, after you figure out these gizmos aren't the hot ticket, you'll seek out a decent IWB/OWB holster.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #1414 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »

T-shirt?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1415 on: December 15, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »

T-shirt?

Give it a whirl.  People aren't spending $150+ and waiting 6 months for a Milt Sparks VMII IBW for nothing!  I ended up spending probably twice times as much wasting money on gizmos and cheap holsters before I saw the light. Somethings going top shelf right off the bat really does pay off.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #1416 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »

If you wear for many hours a day, having a pistol against your skin is going to get uncomfortable real quick. That's before you figure out what your body moisture is going to do the tthe finish of you weapon.

Imho, after you figure out these gizmos aren't the hot ticket, you'll seek out a decent IWB/OWB holster.
Yeah, I read some of the 'testimonials' and from personal experience, don't believe any of them.  Would get 'old' real quick on anything other than 'occasional' carry.  Even a cheap thin leather clip on would be better just because of the wrap around the pistol.  And the bigger the pistol, the more important that becomes.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1417 on: December 15, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »

Absolutely, while nothing is going to make a full steel 1911 disappear and you forget about it, a good holster will make a ton of difference in comfort, while protecting you and the weapon, and performing perfectly every time.  I see it every time at the local range during match practice drills, where new guys will come in with cheapo stuff they get sold at Cabela, Dicks, or Bass Pro, and you can pretty much predict what will happen.  After a few nights of frustration, they usually come around.  Mind you that an IWB is far from the hot ticket for match, but I've done it a couple of times just to practice with my Ultra Compact and the MS VMII. Ended up coming in 4th out of 16 the last time. Definitely my stars aligned that night, but a good holster will pull smoothly and perfectly every time, and provide years of durable comfort. Why risk your life on anything less?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #1418 on: December 15, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »

I agree my clip draw isn't as comfortable sitting down but front waist walking its perfect. Glock finish has been impervious to sweat, I'm not sure how my stainless smith would do. And no Plaxico, saf-t-block installed. If I'm planning a long day I've got a crossbreed iwb for my 5.7, its like nothings there. Just have to wear bigger pants.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:52:41 PM by Pete7539 »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #1419 on: December 15, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

I've yet to find an IWB holster that is actually comfortable to wear.  If I up my pants size an inch around the waist, I wouldn't be able to keep them up without cinching my belt too tight.  It might help if I lost 15 lbs or so... ::)  I'm currently trying a pocket holster from Ritchie Leather Company   http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100003/pocket-scabbard  It's well made and won't imprint in your pocket.  Wore it last night for 6 hours or so while shooting pool, in jeans front pocket, and with a little breaking in, I think it's going to work.  It's a perfect fit for the Sig P238, covering the thumb safety so there's no chance of accidently taking it off safety.  My preferred way is in my Fox Creek vest, which has a dedicated left inside pocket, but wearing the vest around is not very practical when not riding.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #1420 on: December 15, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »

Cant get used to the iwb holster,especially when sitting.The Glock is too boxy to put in my waistband comfortably so its the paddle holster in the small of the back and wear an untucked shirt or vest when riding.Alternate is ruger 380 with the pocket holster that looks like a wallet,not as much stopping power but circumstances alter occasions.Fred.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1421 on: December 15, 2011, 06:50:01 PM »

The trick with an IWB holster is to try it at different positions through the day with different activities. While riding, I like it at around 3:30, just before the pistol handle makes contact with the backrest and interferes there. Any further forward, then the barrel end of the holster will start bugging my right leg being at a 90 to my torso. However, if I will be standing for a while, I might slide it around more forward where it seems more comfortable with the handle right in front of my hip. I wear Levi's so I will put the front clasp of the holster in front of the side pants loop, and the rear clasp behind. That allows me to slide the holster from around 2:00 to 4:30 pretty easily. And yes, I do kick out the belt one notch as well, which the gun takes up so it ends up about the same.

The one thing to remember while testing ccw and holsters for the first time is, don't just the zipper all the way down while taking a leak. I learned the hard way. Nothing worse than standing in a crowded public restroom at the urinal and your pants sudden falls all the way to the floor. Ackward to say the least. Practice at home.

BTW - Some people really like those Crossbreads too. Not as elegant, and big, but supposedly pretty comfortable. I've never tried one.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #1422 on: December 16, 2011, 01:23:44 AM »

Lots of good points made about concealed carry. I would like to add some food for thought to them.
In my 33 plus years of carry I have learned that it is best to get lots of practice in whatever carry setup you use. Try out the draw and holstering in positions you can expect in a day such as seated in a car or on the bike etc. What may look cool on T.V. may not work i real life.
many times in training it has been mentioned that if at all possible a person should carry the weapon in the same spot all the time because in a time of stress you will resort to muscle memory. If you have to stop and think about where the gun is today it slows down your draw and may telegraph your actions to the bad guy.
Part of a person's discomfort in carrying a weapon can be tight clothes as mentioned by others but it can also be from the changing positions and not letting your body get adjusted to carrying. Many people including bad guys can spot a person new to concealed carry by the way the "rookie" frequently pats where it is or is making adjustments.
I like this holster by Galco since it's an IWB that protects the weapon and gives the body some cushioning from sharp edges, the suede finish combined with the J hook keeps the holster in place when you draw so you get just the weapon and not the holster.
This style of hook also allows you to tuck in your shirt and still conceal the weapon. Your belt conceals the clip itself.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/395_Glock+36/3966_USA+-+IWB+Holster/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D395%26%26%26page%3D3%26nothumbs%3D%26filter_1%3D%26filter_2%3D%26filter_3%3D%26filter_4%3D

I also like the Glock not only for the accuracy but the most durable finish I have found to carry IWB.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1423 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »

Good point about practicing with the set up you plan to use for CCW. While I'm certainly at a disadvantage, I will from time to time use my CCW rigs during drills and mini-matches to keep up the smooth and fast draw, as mentioned above. The key is, after you select your weapon, to go to a store with a wide variety of holsters and try them.  Grab a bunch and see what works best for you.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #1424 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »

I haven't read much of the thread so this might have been covered already. When you're filling out the CCW permit and they ask for justification on why I need to conceal what is a valid point that they will accept? Not sure if it varies by state or agency. I've heard that if you carry large sums of cash that approach works. Not sure if travelling to different states and out on the road alot wuod suffice. While I have a S&W 9mm, I've never concealed it...or actually fired it since I bought it in 1990. It's spent more time in a base armory than any other place and I've just never taken the time to go to a range to fire it. With that lack of usage I'm not sure why I want a .45 ACP but I do. Always thought the Desert Eagle .44 would be a cool pistol to own but it seems the best place for that is either in the movies or out hunting as a back up weapon.

Thanks.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 201

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.