Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590676 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1725 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

had a lasermax in my glock, but removed it. it replaced the guide spring so it was completely internal, but found if i tried to aim with it i was not hitting the mark. dont want a red dot i cant use. as stated above you need to have clear picture of what you are aiming at as well as what might be behind that target...
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #1726 on: March 17, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »

I carried revolvers long before we could semi-autos. The revolvers are harder to conceal and dig into your side if inside the waistband. There are no decocking levers (a.k.a. safeties) on a revolver but if they malfunction you will probably need a gunsmith. Semi-autos can seem at first more complicated but they actually have less moving and delicate parts vs. revolvers. If they malfunction they can get back into action with usually just the operator's actions.
The .38 vs. .357 debate is a small one if you are compairing the weight of the gun alone. The .357 is a much better manstopper and in a revolver you can swap out .357 ammo for .38 ammo and save ammo costs and recoil on the range. Just be careful and thoroughly clean the revolver chamber ends or you may have trouble seating .357 ammo and it could cause a jam.
I still like the Glock model 36 in .45 caliber for a self-defense gun. It's very compact(about the size of a Chief's special), smooth sides make it easy to conceal, finish is very durable to holster wear and body oils and sweat, the recoil is low and stopping power is excellent.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #1727 on: March 17, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

Ken...I had a S&W AirLite 38 spl for many years.  While it was certainly easy to carry, I did not like shooting it at all.  It simply hurt my hand to shoot more than 25-30 rounds through it when practicing, so I sold it.  I replaced it with a Sig P238, which is a 380.  However, it is even easier to carry than the AirLite (thinner profile), and it is a pleasure to shoot.  Very accurate and manageable recoil.  With the right kind of bullet, it will get the job done as well as anything.  Sig is also about to release the P938, which is a slightly larger version of the P238, only it's going to be a 9mm.  Both of those guns are 1911 style, with a single action only trigger.

There is no doubt that a revolver is one of the most reliable weapons ever invented, but for me, I prefer an auto, particularly the 1911 style.  A 357 snubbie would be a handful.  When the Zombies are trying to get in my house, I'll have 14 chances (7 shot magazines) to get 'em.  ;), and 18 more with the 380.

For about the same money as the Ruger 357, you could even go with something like a Sig C3 45ACP.  With the right IWB holster, it's easy to carry, and very concealable.  And it's safe "locked and loaded", if you choose to carry that way.  Most self defense shots are in the 5-10' range, and a 45 JHP makes a big ol hole.  It's a fun gun to shoot too.  With a little practice, and the gun cocked and locked, it becomes second nature to sweep the thumb safety off as you are bringing up the weapon for use.  Then you have a very short trigger pull, and BANG!

As far as the laser thing is concerned...my C3 has the Crimson Trace Laser Grips (burl wood) with an on/off switch on the left side grip.  It also has regular night sights.  On the C3, the grips are very comfortable, and the laser is activated by gripping the gun properly.  You don't HAVE to use them, but it's there.  Once you get the laser adjusted to the point of impact of the bullet, you can be sure that it will go where the red dot is, regardless of what position you are in...like on your back, side, or behind something for cover.  And, your head is not necessarily lined up with the barrel of the gun.  For shooting "off the hip", I can see where the laser might come in handy.  In a bad situation, it's not real likely that you're going to be able to do a proper stance and grip...and I'd prefer not to let the bad guy/gal get very close to me at all.  
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TANKS 250

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra 110 Screaming Eagle
« Reply #1728 on: March 17, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

" A 357 snubbie would be a handful"

Depends on the experience of the shooter....I train all the time...with my Ruger LCR .357 magnum I can hit a 6" plate @75' all day long.

As for recoil, again...depends on the experience of the shooter...bad grip...bad shots...and a sore hand.

My 12 year old son with the Ruger.357 mag.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:21:48 PM by TANKS 250 »
My Old Scoots:
1996 Heritage Softail Classic - 2006 Road King Classic

My newest Scoot: 2011 Road Glide Ultra S.E 110 CVO

My other vehicle:
2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY, HIGHLY modified.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #1729 on: March 17, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

Went by Gander Mountain today, ready to buy. They had the Ruger LCR in 38, the S&W airweight in 38, but not the new bodyguard. I've already got the S&W airweight 38, so bought the Ruger. They had an airweight in 357, but, that woiuld be a handful I think.

Terry I hear what you're saying and can't disagree with anything you say. But, Only reason I wanted a new pistol is protection. I've shot a pickup truck load of ammo in my lifetime, and I'm over it. I was looking for something easy to conceal and carry, yet big enough to stop someone if need be. I had the 380, but was concerned about stopping a drunk drug crazed guy built like a football linebacker. If he was an itty bitty guy, I wouldn't need a gun.. :P. Some guns are for target shooting, some for carrying. I'm sure this statement will start a debate, but, not sure I've seen one that was perfect for both.

If I knew I was going to need it on a regular basis, I'd prefer a 45 auto 15 round with spare clips. Then all ya gotta do is shoot up amongst em. One or two bound to hit their mark. While I'm no marksman by any stretch of the imagination, I wouldn't bet my life AGAINST my markmanship if'n ya know what I mean. Give me a long gun, and I'll shoot with most anyone. Started shooting at 7 y/o I think.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #1730 on: March 17, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for and I'm sure it will serve the purpose intended.

I don't go out shooting these things much after the initial "break in", and making sure my ammo of choice runs well through the gun.  So, I've run about 500 rounds through the C3 45 and about 300 through the P238 380, both without a hiccup, so they'll be parked in my nightstand or on my person when I feel like I need to carry, which is not all the time.

I did a bunch of reading about the various calibers, etc when deciding what I wanted to get for the rest of my life.  If you go to some of the gun forums, there's always a big debate about what the best caliber is, etc.  After a bunch of reading, I chose the Hornady Critical Defense round for both guns...that's what's in the magazines now.  The 380 with that round can do the job, but of course, the 45 would be "better".  Neither one of them are worth a chit if you can't hit what you're aiming at, and nobody knows for sure how they'd act in a real life situation.  I just hope it never comes up.  I don't think I'll ever be shooting through windshields on cars, or somebody 200 feet away...I'll just get the hell out of there if I can.

Really, I enjoy taking the Colt 1911 22LR out just for fun shooting/plinking.  It works like my other two, but I can afford to shoot 500 rounds through it.  I'm no markman either, but I do well enough.  My Grandpa used to take me out in the woods shooting his old Browning 22 single shot, and later I got to shoot his shotguns.  He was a good teacher.

TTS Mastertune

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #1731 on: March 19, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »

Saw the weapon of my dreams at a gun show this week-end......not very concealable though & too much $$$$.   A beautiful M14 for $3500.  Yup...M14, not a M1-A!
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes
#1 = 1960 Cushman Super Eagle

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1732 on: March 19, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »

Still waiting on a AA-12 to be available! :orange:

BigLew

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #1733 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »

Khar PM9 with a permit. Buried in bag unloaded when in the wrong states. Mag in pocket. I don't care what state I am camping in (I normally tent it..) it's in tent with me. Hello Mr Bear.. I prefer Spear Gold Dot +P, but find the large hollowpoint can bind up feeding on this weapon. Anyone else have this problem?
Semper Fidelis

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #1734 on: March 19, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

Still waiting on a AA-12 to be available! :orange:

BigLew

You might enjoy this video

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #1735 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

Khar PM9 with a permit. Buried in bag unloaded when in the wrong states. Mag in pocket. I don't care what state I am camping in (I normally tent it..) it's in tent with me. Hello Mr Bear.. I prefer Spear Gold Dot +P, but find the large hollowpoint can bind up feeding on this weapon. Anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried polishing the ramp a bit?  Sometimes that will do the trick.  Or, try a different ammo, like Hornady CD.  No trouble with feeding on either of my Sigs with that ammo.

TTS Mastertune

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1736 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

Love it, all I want for Christmas

BigLew

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #1737 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

and nobody knows for sure how they'd act in a real life situation. 

Even with LEO.

Just recently at the huge Woodbridge Center Mall  we had a shoplifting turned hostage taking after the store security confronted the perp.
Took a knife to the woman's throat. Off duty LEO on part time didn't hesitate - just like TV - one round right between the eyes. Dropped hime where he stood like a box of rocks.

Good to know many have what it takes.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #1738 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Even with LEO.

Just recently at the huge Woodbridge Center Mall  we had a shoplifting turned hostage taking after the store security confronted the perp.
Took a knife to the woman's throat. Off duty LEO on part time didn't hesitate - just like TV - one round right between the eyes. Dropped hime where he stood like a box of rocks.

Good to know many have what it takes.

One less scumbag to feed and house.  I would like to shake that officer's hands.  He should get a medal.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #1739 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »

Our troops should have this weapon, if they don't already.  Whew!  I'd love to have the version available to the public.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 201

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.