Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590651 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1740 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

Even with LEO.

Just recently at the huge Woodbridge Center Mall  we had a shoplifting turned hostage taking after the store security confronted the perp.
Took a knife to the woman's throat. Off duty LEO on part time didn't hesitate - just like TV - one round right between the eyes. Dropped hime where he stood like a box of rocks.

Good to know many have what it takes.

Pretty much doesn't need to be contributing to the gene pool if he was stupid (either naturally, or drug induced) enough to pull a knife on the security person and take her "hostage".  There's one thing that's pretty much a given in the Universe...you ain't going to win a pissing contest with LEO.

I read/see where a lot of druggies are shoplifting, then getting refunds for the merchandise to get their fix for the day.  As Forrest Gump said:  "Stupid is as Stupid does"...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #1741 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »

Even with LEO.

Just recently at the huge Woodbridge Center Mall  we had a shoplifting turned hostage taking after the store security confronted the perp.
Took a knife to the woman's throat. Off duty LEO on part time didn't hesitate - just like TV - one round right between the eyes. Dropped hime where he stood like a box of rocks.

Good to know many have what it takes.

Imagine if a private citizen did that in NJ.  He would be on trial for murder.  They don't look fondly on private gun ownership.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1742 on: March 20, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »

Been a God fearing man most of my life. Not interested in making that decision to take another life. But have my CC and faced with the life threating issue sure I could use it. My question is how did the citizens of this great country become so divided over gun owenership? The issue to me is so stupid I'm not sure how to even respond. I guess part of it is where I grew up. My girls grew up doing the regular girl things I guess. But in there early 20's they wanted to hunt and fish with dad some. So I taught them how to shoot and they are very good shots and own guns. They grew up around mine but never messed with them because I told them not to unless they wanted to learn to use them. Let's fess up its not the guns fault, its only a tool. Like a ballbat or a shovel and they are not lethal weapons unless you use them that way. I'm under the impression that we need to educate our kids on how to use them maybe even teach in schools with shooting teams like we have in the south. And also teach the value of a human life and to respect on another instead of music videos and playing video games seeing how many people we can kill. Done with my rant! :soapbox:

BigLew

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #1743 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »

Probably the most valid argument against guns, particularly hand guns, is that 99% of them have only one intended purpose...to shoot somebody.  A rifle or shotgun is generally a hunting tool...not many folks hunt with a handgun.  At least not as effectively as with a rifle or shotgun.  In a perfect world, nobody would need to own a handgun, but the world isn't perfect, and some places are more imperfect than others.  However, once you pull the trigger on a gun that's aimed towards somebody, the odds are that they are going to be seriously injured or dead.  And that decision/action took less than a second...and you can't stop it.  It takes considerably more effort to beat somebody to death with a baseball bat, or stab them to death with a knife...at least a few minutes, and it's up close and personal.  You've got a moment or two to realize what you're doing and perhaps stop.  Generally speaking (there are always exceptions to every rule) the US homicide rate is higher per 100,000 than any other industrialized country, all other things being equal.  And the homicide rate for certain groups in the US is WAY higher than certain other groups.  There are a lot of reasons for those statistics, but one of them is surely the fact of gun ownership being more prevalent in the US.  Some people will argue that point ad nauseum, but it's a fact that's pretty difficult to dispute logically.

Let me clarify something:  I own 3 handguns, a double barrel shotgun, and a small caliber rifle.  I like my guns, and I don't want anyone taking them away, or keeping me from owning them.  But, I don't start foaming at the mouth and get my panties all wadded up from some group's perception than this or that person is going to ever be able to take guns away from US citizens.  For one, there's just too many of both guns and people who own them. This or that law has been passed, by people on both sides of the political spectrum, but that stuff ebbs and flows with whatever event(s) happen to make people upset about the event, and do something to attempt it's prevention in the future.  Not many have been successful in a long term strategy to solve "the gun problem".  It is extremely unlikely that I'll ever have the need to use deadly force against another human being, and quite honestly, nobody except those who have been there/done that knows for sure what they would do if the situation presented itself.  I THINK I would not hesitate if needed, but I can't possibley KNOW that beforehand.  I hope I never have to find out.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue to enjoy owning my guns, shooting them whenever I feel I need the practice or fun, admiring the precision mechanics of the weapon itself, and keep one by my bed "just in case".  But the odds of me ever having to actually use them for the intended purpose are astronomical.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #1744 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »

Imagine if a private citizen did that in NJ.  He would be on trial for murder.  They don't look fondly on private gun ownership.

One of the reasons I do travel in NJ.

I was Stationed in NJ for three years.  Had to Carry a 1911 on Duty on base.  Yet NJ would not let me register my hand guns, or buy ammo for them.  I could drive 1 hour to PA and buy all the ammo I wanted.  Rather stupid, trust me to stand guard on a gate to a base with a pistol and a shot gun, but I cant buy ammo for my guns or register them, not trust worthy.  LOL.

While Hunting in NJ, one time on the way home I stopped for a cup of coffee, put my shot gun in the cab of my truck while in the store.  State trooper ticketed me when I came out, see NJ law, you cant have the ammo and gun in the same compartment.  So, the officer said I should have left the ammo or gun in the bed of the truck while in the store.  Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I have had carry permits since 1990.  Yet, I keep my carry well concealed.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #1745 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

Not many have been successful in a long term strategy to solve "the gun problem". 

I didn't realize we had a gun problem. Other than the fact that I don't have all the ones I want!   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #1746 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »

The only gun problem we have is the fact there are those who want to take them away from "law abiding" citizens.  Oakland, CA has one of the strictest handgun regulations in the state, but also one of the highest crime rates.  When the criminals are the only ones armed, besides LEO, they will rejoice.  Let the citizens arm and society will be more civil.  IMHO.   

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/01/17/the-gun-is-civilization/

I believe this helped us defeat the Soviets in the arms race through "mutually assured destruction" by keeping all the players on an equal footing.  Hard to do if you can't own a gun and someone breaks into your house, or tries to jack your car. 

While, it hasn't been solved yet in public debate, and there are many compelling reasons for this law or that.  The bottom line is a gun is a tool, like any in the woodshed.  Abused, it will harm and maim the unfortunate, but used properly it can help keep the peace and protect our loved ones.   :wall:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

99fatboy

« Reply #1747 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »

I live in Iowa and the law states you do not have to tell the officer you are carrying. I would rather tell them than have something stupid go wrong then be accused of hiding with intent. I have a bulldog gun, can't think of the correct name right now, lock case that I bolted down to my trailer floor so when I go throug Chicago I'm legal. I can put it in my saddle bag and run the cable out to my sissy bar as well. Other wise my Glock 22 is iwb with a crossbreed holster.  I have a ruger LCR as a back up on my ankle.                                                         

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #1748 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »

I've found from experience that it's better NOT to tell any LEO that you are carrying unless they ask.  Here in Tennessee your carry permit number is the same as your driver's license number so if they run your driver's license through the computer, it shows that you have a carry permit.  The two times that I did inform the LEO that I was carrying, I got real strange looks and they both backed up and placed a hand on their weapon.  Caused a real nervous reaction so now I don't volunteer any info unless asked.
Jesus is Lord

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #1749 on: March 22, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »

I've found from experience that it's better NOT to tell any LEO that you are carrying unless they ask.  Here in Tennessee your carry permit number is the same as your driver's license number so if they run your driver's license through the computer, it shows that you have a carry permit.  The two times that I did inform the LEO that I was carrying, I got real strange looks and they both backed up and placed a hand on their weapon.  Caused a real nervous reaction so now I don't volunteer any info unless asked.
I do the same thing. Unless they ask, I do not volunteer.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #1750 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »

The N.C. concealed carry permit 'requires' you to inform any LEO that you're carrying when in contact with them.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1751 on: March 22, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »

I like the ole saying 'what you don't know, won't hurt' so if there is no good reason to tell him/her then no harm...unless you do somthing stupid...

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1752 on: March 22, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

I like the ole saying 'what you don't know, won't hurt' so if there is no good reason to tell him/her then no harm...unless you do somthing stupid...
I don't agree at all. I didn't know that the law was up for debate. Here if you want the permit obey the law. When stopped or approached make the statement. have done many times with no issues and one time could have been a real big issues one week after 9-11 at an airport but the Leo's and military handled it very well all things considered! Long story.

BigLew

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #1753 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »

I agree with BigLew....  If you have gone through a CCW class to get your permit...it will have been emphasized over and over....keep within the law.  Simple common sense and always do the right thing will keep you out of trouble...didn't your mom's teach you that?   

The big issue today with carrying is there is no nationwide standard regarding the state's CCW laws.   Like it or not....there needs to be a 'one for all' regulation so no matter where you are at you know that you are in compliance.   I'm not saying we NEED regulation....but, if we are going to have it...make the law even across the board/all states reciprocal.                                               
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #1754 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »

Just took the CCW class and although it's not required by law they strongly recommended you tell the officer especially if they ask you to come back to the car.  I agree 100%.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 201

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.