CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Best rear suspension for FLHTCUSE2 that will lower my bike a little(I am 250lbs)

(1/2) > >>

Bobgratton1969:
Hi guys, I am a 6' 3'' 250lbs guy that is looking to modify a little more my FLHTCUSE2 2007. The mods are the following: 1 - lower my bike by replacing my rear shocks while still having a great ride (considering my weight), 2 - Put a 21'' front wheel while keeping my front fender and 3 - Ape hangers 12'' or 14".

Now here is what I would need :
 a - Best shocks without going nuts in price
 b - Best looking wheels (that will fit my bike) for the best prices
 c - sites or company's with whom I can get the best prices for the best quality
 b - other ideas for mods????

rayson56:
Hey Bob, great looking bike. For me, at 6'2" I would highly recommend going with 13" Legend Revo rear shocks, especially since you don't need lower shocks at 6'3". While these will not lower your ride, they will definitely enhance your riding experience in a very positive way and once you put 14" bars and a 21" front wheel on the bike (which I'm a huge fan of) you will achieve the look that you are going for AND have a fantastic ride and great handling.

ric.sut32@gmail.com:
Bob,
   You want a great ride and handling??? Forget the 21" That is for Adventure Bikes to step over ditches or straight line driving and profiling. As for shocks, the Ohlins Harley S36 Blackline Twin Shocks and their fork the Harley NIX 30 Cartridge Kit if they make them for your model. You will be blown away with you "new" bikes the rides and handles like a dream. They built a custom set for my 69 XLCH Sportster and 1984 BMW R100CS Last Edition. Hands down you can't do better. For my older bikes that Ohlins does not have cartridges for I use Race Tec Emulators and their complete set-up. Another first rate set-up pro supplier. I would not go any lower. Not needed and you with just start to grind parts on the road. I build for the ride.   

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/suspension-products/harley-s36-blackline-twin-shocks

Ric

FLSTFI Dave:

--- Quote from: ric.sut32@gmail.com on September 07, 2022, 08:12:06 PM ---Bob,
   You want a great ride and handling??? Forget the 21" That is for Adventure Bikes to step over ditches or straight line driving and profiling.

Ric

--- End quote ---

Handling is not effect much by a 21" font wheel.  You have to lower the front end 1 inch to get the rake and trail back to stock.  Less rubber means you feel the bumps a bit more.  My 03 Fatboy has had a 21" for 10 years now.  Rides great.  My 18 and 19 CVO Road glides are 21 from the factory.  They ride great and handle great.  I have put just over 65K miles on the 19.

As for big ADV bikes most run a 19" front.  Front on my Pan America is 120/70/19.  Same as the Big BMW ADV bikes

ric.sut32@gmail.com:
Interesting...   Then why are all modern super bikes running very small front rims for handling and off road very large fronts for "stepping" over ravines ?? The diameter of the front tire makes a big difference on the cornering and handling capabilities of the bike. Also aspect ratio and radius from equator to equator to mention a few parameters. Changing the rake and height also completely changes the performance characteristics. You design for the application. Maybe the application is just to look "cool". This happens. As a tire designer of 42 + years trust me on this one. I ran a 21" on my Harley in 1972 for a short period. I soon went back to the 19" and scrapped the extended "Chopper" front end that is only for profiling. I also put a Ceriani front end on my 69' XLCH Sportster in 1974 and dropped it to 1.2" under stock and all of the sudden I had a Sportster that handled quite amazing. Then not to long ago I added the Race Tech Emulators/Spring setup in the front tubes and Olin's built a custom rear set up shocks set for me for the old Magneto Sporty. I have been partnering Olin's for many years. All the best to all. Ric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version