Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First impressions of S&S SPOs on a 103"  (Read 2669 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
First impressions of S&S SPOs on a 103"
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

Well folks I know , [smiley=worthless.gif]
I just brought my bike home from the dealer after having a set of S&S SPOs installed.
I also got the chrome Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1 air cleaner setup and used the stock SE cover.(No gasket between air cleaner and cover was needed.)
Based on reccomendations from S&S I kept the stock head pipes and had the dealer download a Stage 1 Race download. (NO PC or SERT)
Wow what a change! I only had time for a 25 mile ride but there seems to be more power and it ran cooler (Maybe 15 degrees with same ambient temp. 46 degrees) I will check closer when I can take a longer ride.
As far as sound it is hard to describe. Very unique for a Harley. At idle and around 2,000 rpm it is a low rumble. (Very deep) And at over 3,000 rpm it becomes a low growl that does sound kinda like a big block hot rod from the 1960's. 8-)
I like the sound but it is differnt than most aftermarket mufflers.
Looks-wise I think it goes well with the full dresser look and most of the mechanics and sales girls like the looks and sound.
I also had a mini-beast air horn installed. (It was the improved version with a support baracket in back) Mechanic said it was an easy install and he thought it was louder than the Harley air horn.
Southside Harley in Va. Beach did the installs and since I bought the mufflers and a/c stuff on a HOG day they gave me a 15% discount on parts and they also have an IPONS computer discount program for folks who are HOG local members. This month had a coupon for 15% off of labor so that saved me too! It's nice to be treated well by a dealer. 8-)
Also Southside said they would cover this setup under the warranty!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 06:16:47 PM by VaEagle »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: First impressions of S&S SPOs on a 103"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »

Well folks I know , [smiley=worthless.gif]
I just brought my bike home from the dealer after having a set of S&S SPOs installed.
I also got the chrome Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1 air cleaner setup and used the stock SE cover.(No gasket between air cleaner and cover was needed.)
Based on reccomendations from S&S I kept the stock head pipes and had the dealer download a Stage 1 Race download. (NO PC or SERT)
Wow what a change! I only had time for a 25 mile ride but there seems to be more power and it ran cooler (Maybe 15 degrees with same ambient temp. 46 degrees) I will check closer when I can take a longer ride.
As far as sound it is hard to describe. Very unique for a Harley. At idle and around 2,000 rpm it is a low rumble. (Very deep) And at over 3,000 rpm it becomes a low growl that does sound kinda like a big block hot rod from the 1960's. 8-)
I like the sound but it is differnt than most aftermarket mufflers.
Looks-wise I think it goes well with the full dresser look and most of the mechanics and sales girls like the looks and sound.
I also had a mini-beast air horn installed. (It was the improved version with a support baracket in back) Mechanic said it was an easy install and he thought it was louder than the Harley air horn.
Southside Harley in Va. Beach did the installs and since I bought the mufflers and a/c stuff on a HOG day they gave me a 15% discount on parts and they also have an IPONS computer discount program for folks who are HOG local members. This month had a coupon for 15% off of labor so that saved me too! It's nice to be treated well by a dealer. 8-)
Also Southside said they would cover this setup under the warranty!

Thanks for the report. I like the sound, but some can't get used to it. It's definitely different than most aftermarket pipes. You're not going to see them very often either. I like that too. Most importantly, where's the pics? ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »

where's the pics?

Most definitely, what he said ^ !

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »

The looks of the SPO's definitely take a little to get used to but they look alot better with the end plates blacked out.  Another member has pictures of his like this on here.

I'm one of the few with the stock touring mufflers, but they are getting louder with time, the addition of the SERT, and addition of the 575's..  If it sounder more like a HD at idle, they would be just fine.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:20:01 PM by Boatman »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »

I'll try to borrow the neighbor soon and his digital camera. I am still a dinosaur with a .35mm!

You are right Hoist in that the S&S is a rare muffler. I had not heard a set before I bought them and the dealership has several stores and they had only installed one set before mine.
I don't mind being different, they are big and oval, like me I guess? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
At least my bike doesn't sound like a Goldwing now. Not as loud as my old Fatboy with duals though.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:23 PM »

I'll try to borrow the neighbor soon and his digital camera. I am still a dinosaur with a .35mm!

You are right Hoist in that the S&S is a rare muffler. I had not heard a set before I bought them and the dealership has several stores and they had only installed one set before mine.
I don't mind being different, they are big and oval, like me I guess? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
At least my bike doesn't sound like a Goldwing now. Not as loud as my old Fatboy with duals though.
VAEagle,
Glad to hear you like the S&S SPOs.  You described the sound of them perfectly...that's exactly the way they sounded when I heard them a while back on another Ultra.  ;)  It wasn't exactly the sound I was looking for, but like you said, they do give you a unique sound and look.  Ya never know, ya might start a craz in Tidewater with them.  ;)  How were they for seat-of-the-pants feel for performance??

Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »

Hi RedDevil,
I started out happy with the stock setup because the 103" was so much more powerful than the old 80" EVO Fatboy I had for 9 years. But after a year I was tired of the engine heat baking my legs (Got nervious watching the oil temp gauge). And was bored with the quiet since my Fatboy was loud. ;D
From my short ride so far I would describe the difference as: Stock is bogged down and has OK power but just kinda tame. New setup is free-breathing and has more pep.Like the 103" is now doing what it was meant to do and not being choked down. 8-)
I'm looking forward to a longer ride with some interstate time too to see how it feels at higher speeds for roll-on passes etc.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »

Hi RedDevil,
I started out happy with the stock setup because the 103" was so much more powerful than the old 80" EVO Fatboy I had for 9 years. But after a year I was tired of the engine heat baking my legs (Got nervious watching the oil temp gauge). And was bored with the quiet since my Fatboy was loud. ;D
From my short ride so far I would describe the difference as: Stock is bogged down and has OK power but just kinda tame. New setup is free-breathing and has more pep.Like the 103" is now doing what it was meant to do and not being choked down. 8-)
I'm looking forward to a longer ride with some interstate time too to see how it feels at higher speeds for roll-on passes etc.
VAEagle,]
Thanks for that report.  I'll be anxious, as I'm sure TCnVA will be, to hear what you think after a little more time in the saddle.  Hoist should be getting his mounted on his SERK within a week or so, so there will be a couple of you in the forum with those mufflers.  
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »

VAEagle,]
Thanks for that report.  I'll be anxious, as I'm sure TCnVA will be, to hear what you think after a little more time in the saddle.  Hoist should be getting his mounted on his SERK within a week or so, so there will be a couple of you in the forum with those mufflers.  
Red

VaEagle,
Ditto what Red said.  Thanks much for the report.  I haven't purchased the SPOs yet.  Still waiting for the report from Howie (who's probably not terribly happy with the weather right now  :'().  Look forward to hearing from you after you've had a little more seat time with them.
TC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:08 PM »

VaEagle,
Ditto what Red said.  Thanks much for the report.  I haven't purchased the SPOs yet.  Still waiting for the report from Howie (who's probably not terribly happy with the weather right now  :'().  Look forward to hearing from you after you've had a little more seat time with them.
TC

Who says he's not happy with the weather? It didn't snow and there's no ice. Yesterday's 50-60 MPH winds are gone. About as good as I can expect in Jan in NYC. There's no heat issue either! ::) Hopefully getting the SPO's on next Sat. From here until March though, everything is pretty much weather dependent! So things are subject to change (I need to have that disclaimer!). I'll report and get pics after I'm done. Don't forget, I'm not only doing the SPO's, I'm doing the PC at the same time. Braided SS gas lines and the True-Track too. ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:12:56 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »

VaEagle, Thanks for the impressons so far...  This tread is what I've been looking for.  Not trying to highjack your tread here, I am considering a cam/exhaust upgrade on my 2005 CVO 103 SEEG.  I'm hoping to balance the cam/exhaust upgrade to get the most performance while enjoying a quieter exhaust note.  My focus has been on using the SPO muffler, but it has been hard to find any good information... What cam works without doing head work, intake, etc.? True dual or stock head pipes?  Is there help for us old guys looking to quiet our bikes without giving up performance???
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »

Hi hwyfever,
No problem with your post. 8-)
You may want to check out the thread that has a poll on which type of head pipes to use.
After reading all of the posts and contacting S&S and Vance & Hines, I decided to stay with the stock headpipes because it would maintain the best low and midrange torque. I was not looking for the maximum HP or top end stuff since I rarely ride that fast.
I have had a chance for a second ride this week added about 90 miles on the new setup. I wish I could get out more but either weather or other obligations were calling me. ;D
What I have noticed on the second ride is that I would normally take about 10-15 minutes for the oil pan temp gauge to register in the 210 degree area when the ambient temp is around 40 and the lowers were shut. This trip it took at least 30 minutes to get to operating range and then it has stayed around 210 -230 in stop and go city driving. Where it would routinely run 230 -240 in the past with syn3 oil. It also did NOT bake my legs either.
I did take it up above 55mph at times and it pulled strong at all speeds, high speed rollon was incredible. Compaired to stock. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
As far as cams I may or may not change them but have heard many good things about Zippers 575 cams and the ones by Freedom cycles (Both gear drive) for our bikes without headwork.There are several threads about those cams as well.
I hope this helps you some.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.