Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I replace the stock muffler end caps?  (Read 1838 times)

Boss Man

Can I replace the stock muffler end caps?
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »

Mine is a 2009 CUSE4.

I'd like to replace the stock muffler end caps with a set of HD Piston end caps. I know they don't fit right out of the box.
Another post from last November listed a retainer ring part # 66078-06. I assume it will adapt the muffler to hold the other end caps HD sells.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Anyone have any idea why HD made the CVO stock mufflers incompatible with the end caps they sell. Makes no sense to me.

mike45

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Black & Silver
Re: Can I replace the stock muffler end caps?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »

Why spend money on new end caps when you could put on a set of slip-ons and improve performance, sound, and the look?
2008 SERK
TTS Mastertune
Bub 7 True Dual w/crossover

Boss Man

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »

I spent a good deal of time experimenting with the set up I have now and I want to keep it. I like loud but it wasn't easy to get without spending a pile of cash.

I cut the head pipe, gutted the CAT and welded it back together then sent the pipes out for Jet Coating  before I began.

I tried Jackpots... not loud enough.

Tried Samson Rolled Thunder... sounded great but I didn't like the small tube.

Removed the stock baffles to replace with Fullsac 2.25... better but not loud enough.

I was about to go back to the Samson mufflers when I thought of one last trick for the stock mufflers. I cut a section of 2.5 exhaust tubing to slide over the Fullsac baffles and tack welded it to the baffle. I left the stock packing around the baffles. Now the bike sounds pretty damn good and I don't have pile of cash in the exhaust either.

That's why I want a set of end caps for the stock mufflers.   

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

Mine is a 2009 CUSE4.

I'd like to replace the stock muffler end caps with a set of HD Piston end caps. I know they don't fit right out of the box.
Another post from last November listed a retainer ring part # 66078-06. I assume it will adapt the muffler to hold the other end caps HD sells.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Anyone have any idea why HD made the CVO stock mufflers incompatible with the end caps they sell. Makes no sense to me.
Its not that difficult with a chop saw and a welder, I picked up a set of baffles from a set of HD SE touring mufflers for $9.00 on Craigs List and installed the outlets on a set of fullsac baffles, these are the baffles that the aftermarket End Caps are designed for, they are normally held in place with three Steel pop rivets but I used one and they hold fine. 66078-06  Ring is the insert inside your OEM end cap that holds the mounting J Clips in place, they are not compatible either.  Sounds like your fairly handy, if you can round up a damaged set of SE Touring Mufflers or a set of baffles someone has removed  your problem is solved.

Boss Man

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

Its not that difficult with a chop saw and a welder, I picked up a set of baffles from a set of HD SE touring mufflers for $9.00 on Craigs List and installed the outlets on a set of fullsac baffles, these are the baffles that the aftermarket End Caps are designed for, they are normally held in place with three Steel pop rivets but I used one and they hold fine. 66078-06  Ring is the insert inside your OEM end cap that holds the mounting J Clips in place, they are not compatible either.  Sounds like your fairly handy, if you can round up a damaged set of SE Touring Mufflers or a set of baffles someone has removed  your problem is solved.

Let me see if I have it right.

The aftermarket end caps I want to use are held in place by a fixture which is pop riveted or welded to the SE Touring muffler baffles. Either way I'll be able to make the modification once I locate a set of SE baffles. 

Thanks for the help.

mike45

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Black & Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »

I spent a good deal of time experimenting with the set up I have now and I want to keep it. I like loud but it wasn't easy to get without spending a pile of cash.

I cut the head pipe, gutted the CAT and welded it back together then sent the pipes out for Jet Coating  before I began.

I tried Jackpots... not loud enough.

Tried Samson Rolled Thunder... sounded great but I didn't like the small tube.

Removed the stock baffles to replace with Fullsac 2.25... better but not loud enough.

I was about to go back to the Samson mufflers when I thought of one last trick for the stock mufflers. I cut a section of 2.5 exhaust tubing to slide over the Fullsac baffles and tack welded it to the baffle. I left the stock packing around the baffles. Now the bike sounds pretty damn good and I don't have pile of cash in the exhaust either.

That's why I want a set of end caps for the stock mufflers.   

Ah, I see.  Best of luck with the end caps. 
2008 SERK
TTS Mastertune
Bub 7 True Dual w/crossover

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »

Let me see if I have it right.

The aftermarket end caps I want to use are held in place by a fixture which is pop riveted or welded to the SE Touring muffler baffles. Either way I'll be able to make the modification once I locate a set of SE baffles. 

Thanks for the help.
, Not a fixture, its four threaded holes in the baffle end which riveted to the rear edge of the muffler body, Ill see if I have a picture,

Boss Man

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »

I see clearly now. I assume what I can't see in the photo is the end cap mounting holes in the SE baffle cap which you cut off and welded to the Fullsac baffle. Why can't I add those holes to the Fullsac baffle cap? I could weld nuts to the rear of the baffle cap. Or is the depth of the Fullsac baffle not right for this? 

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

the fullsac baffle end is 1 3/8in shorter and as you can see in the picture faces the wrong way, the SE tips butt up against the baffle  end and the muffler body, you could use the fullsacs if you turned the ends around and drilled and tapped them or welded nuts on the back side, as long as the length was just right when you attached them to the muffler body. or you could use the fullsacks as is and use extended length mounting bolts which would work as well.

Boss Man

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

To mock this up correctly I'd have to have the proper end caps. I'll assess my options after I get them.
You have been a ton of help.
Thanks

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »

Like this

Boss Man

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »

That's the photo I needed to see.
I can make a cap to fit the muffler out of material I have laying around the shop.
I'll use the clips from the stock end caps to hold it on. The rest will be simple to do. 
Thanks for digging around for the photo.

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 22 queries.