Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to tell a stage 1 has been done on a bike?  (Read 11485 times)

zeflash

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
Way to tell a stage 1 has been done on a bike?
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »

Hi,

I've bought a '07 SERK recently, and even though the previous owner told me a stage 1 prep has been done on it, I'm now wondering if it's actually the case.
Is there a way to tell "physically" on the bike? Or something to look at on the various (french) invoices I have from previous dealer maintenance? Like a part number or something?

Hope it's not too much of a newbie question... I want to install new mufflers, and knowing this simple fact on the bike would help.

Thanks

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Way to tell a stage 1 has been done on a bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »

A Stage 1 generally involves three things, less restrictive air intake, less restrictive mufflers and a remap of the ECM. 

Firstly, look at the air cleaner.  If it looks stock, has the black plastic been removed from the back?  (The side that faces the bike.)  That opens up the intake.   Secondly, look inside the mufflers.  You can take a broom handle or something similar and gently run it up the rear (a common police practice years ago.)  A stock muffler has baffles that will stop the stick but most aftermarket baffles will not. 

As to the ECM, I'm not sure there is a sure way to tell but if the bike seems to run well (not too lean) after the intake and exhaust has been opened up,  that's good.  If it has been reprogrammed, the seller should have some record of it or the kit itself.  Hope this helps. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »

Just went through the same thing on an 03 SERK I bought . . .

Pull the air cleaner . . . there will be a part number on the air cleaner . . . will tell if it is high flow or not.  I found an SE high flow on mine.

The pipes?  Should be markings (even underneath) . . . they are what they are.  Identified what I had by looking on web sites.  You might take a picture of your pipes and post it on here . . . people with an 07 SERK will know, if you can't find a part number on them.  If there is no stamp, then they probably are stock for the 07 SERK.

Does it have a PCV, or aftermarket ECM?  Pull the right cover and look.  Mine did not.

Was it remapped?  I wasn't sure, and had no info on the original owner.  Hard to believe someone would had a stage one filter and add slip ons, but not remap the bike . . . but . . . I have known people to do that.  A dynotune would tell . . . but I just opted to spend the money for a new PCV instead.  Then I can be sure I am optimized, but also keep customizing and tweaking like I want to.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:45:22 PM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

zeflash

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »

Thanks for the answers, I believe I have now my answer.
I just remembered I had some strange "device" in one of the saddle bags; it's a EFI race tuner kit. So it has been remapped. The mufflers have a strange reference (80506-07) but I believe they are not stock, as they do not have any catalyser on it or anything.
As for the air cleaner, I couldn't remove it I don't have the appropriate tool (something I have to remedy asap).

So there it is, it's a stage 1. Now the question would be, is the injection map made specifically for these mufflers, what if I change those, and how to make the engine run as smoothly as possible!
I read that I can "convert" the SERT to a TTS for a fee ($100 + both ways shipping). I'm guessing that would be the easiest way to do it? I don't know if there are dynos anywhere near me, and the cost of it must be higher than the "transformed" TTS anyway.

I'll keep thinking about it.

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »

Thanks for the answers, I believe I have now my answer.
I just remembered I had some strange "device" in one of the saddle bags; it's a EFI race tuner kit. So it has been remapped. The mufflers have a strange reference (80506-07) but I believe they are not stock, as they do not have any catalyser on it or anything.
As for the air cleaner, I couldn't remove it I don't have the appropriate tool (something I have to remedy asap).

So there it is, it's a stage 1. Now the question would be, is the injection map made specifically for these mufflers, what if I change those, and how to make the engine run as smoothly as possible!
I read that I can "convert" the SERT to a TTS for a fee ($100 + both ways shipping). I'm guessing that would be the easiest way to do it? I don't know if there are dynos anywhere near me, and the cost of it must be higher than the "transformed" TTS anyway.

I'll keep thinking about it.

The exhaust you have is the Screamin Eagle touring slip-ons . . . (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448769844&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302319761&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302319761&locale=en_US&bmUID=1308976823967&bmLocale=en_US)

I got a used bike set up about the same . . . just bought the Power COmmander 5 from Fuelmoto . . . did not want to mess with finding out the map . . . just taking the shortcut and installing a new ECM and can remap it myself when making any changes.

Good luck!
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

zeflash

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

I was wondering how those mufflers compared with the V&H monsters round. I'm looking into deep rumble and optimal low rpm torque specifically, but it's hard to find someone how had both :)

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.