Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only 1 Fuel Table???  (Read 1126 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Only 1 Fuel Table???
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »

I started picking up mild spark knock in the 2 to 3K RPM range at 55-65 MPH.  MPG has fallen off too. Occassionally as I come to a stop RPM hangs in the 1000-1200 range and after I'm at a complete stop it slowly comes back to normal idle. Throttle cable does not appear to be hanging up.  It's happened about half dozen times since I put the bike back on the road early last month. I downloaded the fuel map I just had done and saw I have just one fuel table...Fuel Table 1.  Looked at previous maps installed prior to recent motor work and some in the PC library, all have 2 fuel table.  Just called Redline...tuner is maxed out today and couldn't talk. They want me to bring the bike in.

A few questions:  Has anyone seen this before?  Can the bike run on one fuel table and if so am I doing any harm in riding it?  Should I upload another 2 table fuel map until I get this new one corrected? Could my sporadic idle problem be related to the missing/corrupt fuel table issue?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Only 1 Fuel Table???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »

With a PC you have standard maps and then what they call Advanced maps.  The advanced maps have two fuel tables and two ignition tables, one of each for each cylinder, and allow different fuel and spark settings for each cylinder.  The standard maps use the same fuel and spark settings for both cylinders and only show one fuel table and one ignition table.  It would appear the map you have is just a standard map.  If you specifically requested an advanced map from the guy doing the tuning, it would appear he didn't do so.  And if your problems started right after his "tune", it would also appear he didn't do a very good job.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

An intake leak will cause the idle to hang and fall slowly also. Like Jerry sain the PC maps are usually tuned to have the same fuel in both cylinders unless the map was advanced where both cylinders are tuned seperate which is a much better way.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »

Thanks Doc1 and grc for the replies.

With bike running I sprayed the known vacuum leak sources with carb cleaner and didn't get any change in engine RPM. During pre-checks the tuner did fined a leaking intake gasket ( I knew I should have lubed the seals a little when I put the intake back on) and replaced both gaskets.  Like I said no sign of leaks there.  Guess I need to pull the aircleaner and spray other areas of the intake.

Since all the PC tunes I've seen had 2 fuel tables, this is what I thought I'd get. Now I'm pissed. I was never asked if I wanted the advanced map.  If I would have remembered to ask him the following question, it may have lead to me finding out I wasn't getting an advanced map.  Without O2 sensors, how do you get a accurate reading for each cylinder? Do they snake a sensor up the left pipe to obtain a reading on the back cylinder and put one in the right just forward of the Y pipe?  I meant to ask the tuner this when I picked the bike up.  That's when I probably would have found out about 1 fuel table and then I would have asked how come all on the Dyno Jet site have 2.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:58:02 PM by Z10 »

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »

Did Bayside tune it for you?

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »

No...They're on the otherside of the water and somewhat of a pain to get to from where I live.  I was going to schedule an appointment with them and have it there when the doors open, hang around all day and ride it home.  However they wouldn't guarantee it would be done in a day.  Talked to Hampton Roads HD, they recommended Redline Motorsports just down the road from them.  They're a Ducati dealer but do a lot of Harley tuning as well. I sent them an email last night.  Should get a call on Tuesday.

Justice

• MT

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE Screamin’ Eagle Dyna
    • CVO2: 2016 FXSE CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »

When my battery was going weak/dead and needed to be replaced, my idle was doing the same thing you are discribing. I replaced the battery and it has been back to normal ever since. I'd check the charge on your battery...

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.