Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N air filter  (Read 1646 times)

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
K&N air filter
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »

My 09 SERG came from the factory with a dry air filter and said do not oil,when I ordered a replacement they sent me a k&N that requires oiling and it doesn't fit in the air cleaner housing.I have heard different opinons on not using a serviceable filter that requires oil because of the contamination of the O2S  Thoughts appreciated.Part numbers cross as a replacement
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: K&N air filter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »

My 09 SERG came from the factory with a dry air filter and said do not oil,when I ordered a replacement they sent me a k&N that requires oiling and it doesn't fit in the air cleaner housing.I have heard different opinons on not using a serviceable filter that requires oil because of the contamination of the O2S  Thoughts appreciated.Part numbers cross as a replacement

Air Filter oil is not going to effect the 02 sensors.....unless you poured a qt or two on it....lol
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »

My 09 SERG came from the factory with a dry air filter and said do not oil,when I ordered a replacement they sent me a k&N that requires oiling and it doesn't fit in the air cleaner housing.I have heard different opinons on not using a serviceable filter that requires oil because of the contamination of the O2S  Thoughts appreciated.Part numbers cross as a replacement

Who did you order the filter from, a Harley dealer or someone else?  The K&N part number for their replacement filter for the Ventilator is HD-0900 HD-0910.  Harley also sells the same K&N part under Harley number 29400022.  Some of the early K&N parts didn't fit the Harley cover very well, as reported by some on this site when the parts first came out.  I haven't heard the same thing recently, and assume the fit problem was corrected.  If the one they sent you doesn't fit properly, they should replace it.

Contact whoever you ordered the filter from and let them know your concerns.  If you prefer the standard dry filter, and you didn't ask for the K&N when you ordered the replacement, they should arrange for a return and send you the stock filter.  But if you prefer the oiled filter, you don't need to worry about damaging your sensors as long as you use the correct K&N oil.  That stuff is used by vast numbers of people on bikes and cars/trucks with no adverse affects.  

Jerry

edit:  Wrong K&N number originally posted.  The HD-0900 is for a Sportster, the HD-0910 is for the Ventilator air cleaner.  Sorry for the mixup.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:53:33 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »

Thanks Jerry I'm not sure if the rumour was that it affected o2s of Mass air flow sensor,I have always used k&n in a lot of my vehicles and never had a problem,but was told the gurus were recommending not using them because of the oil

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

The K&N oil screws with MAF sensors if over done, since a HD doesn't have a MAF you should be fine.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »

Randy,

I replaced the stock Ventilator filter with the hi flo K&N.  The correct number is HD-0900.  There was another filter that a few people received that was too deep; you must've been sent the wrong one.

Getting the filter oil in the gas/air mix wasn't a problem.  I had just the opposite problem;  I was getting so much motor oil from the breathers into the intake that I was saturating the filter with motor oil.  :-\   But that was a whole different issue entirely.

Good luck!

Dan
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:13:25 PM by lilcoot »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »

Thanks Jerry I'm not sure if the rumour was that it affected o2s of Mass air flow sensor,I have always used k&n in a lot of my vehicles and never had a problem,but was told the gurus were recommending not using them because of the oil

The stories you've heard most likely involved MAF sensors in automotive applications.  Since Harley is not terribly sophisticated when it comes to engine control systems, you don't need to worry about fouling a MAF since they don't have one.  And I'm not convinced it's really a problem in automotive applications if people don't use excessive amounts of oil.  I think we all know the type; if a little bit is good then a whole bunch must be better.  Those guys might have a problem.

btw, the folks at K&N don't buy into the rumors and speculation either.  See their response here:
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »

Who did you order the filter from, a Harley dealer or someone else?  The K&N part number for their replacement filter for the Ventilator is HD-0900.  Harley also sells the same K&N part under Harley number 29400022.  Some of the early K&N parts didn't fit the Harley cover very well, as reported by some on this site a couple years back.  I haven't heard the same thing recently, and assume the fit problem was corrected.  If the one they sent you doesn't fit properly, they should replace it.

I order the K&N filter (HD part #29400022) back in March of 2012.  It did not properly fit my cover and I ended up having to use a knife and Dremel to make it fit.  I am not sure if they have changed it.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Randy C

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

For the 09 SERG the HD0900 is the wrong filter and the HD0910 is to thick to fit in the cover properly.K&N is checking to find a solution and is supposed to get back to me within the week.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.