Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cruise Control Disengage (Front Brake)  (Read 13160 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: Cruise Control Disengage (Front Brake)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »

Hi all:

I went on a trip out to MS this last weekend and experienced this same issue - intermittently.  Apparently, my memory is not as bad as I thought, because I remembered this thread.

Unfortunately, I see there was no resolution.  I did learn the "roll-on" method here, but I will forego the anchor.

I am hear to tell you though, the first time you learn that the front brake is not going to cancel the cruise, you are pretty quickly looking for an alternative!

Anyway, I am taking my bike in for a tire so I will have them look at the issue and post back here with any 411.

Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »

Just saw this thread and had to report that I had the same happen to me over the weekend! Tried it again yesterday and it worked as intended. I hate to take it to the dealership and receive the same "could not replicate" response but think that this is a very serious issue!!! While there might be many ways of disengaging it, you might easily end up in a situation with no time to think about it. I fear that HD will wait for some accidents to happen before they issue yet another recall...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Try tapping the rear brake instead and see what happens.  Or maybe the electrons in the rear brake circuit are just as slow as the ones in the front brake circuit (but only occasionally)? ;)

I'd love for someone who has this problem to run a little test to see if the brake lights also have the same issue, ie. slow to respond to pedal or lever movement, or require excessive pressure before they respond.  Probably need a big mirror or a dark garage.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 08:56:53 PM »

...I've always personally preferred tapping the front brake, but to each their own.  At least you have multiple choices for disengagement, from turning off the switch, using either brake, rolling the throttle back, or pulling the clutch lever.  If all of those fail, throw out the optional H-D brand anchor and hold on.

Jerry

Ha!  I thought maybe Jerry's "...throw out the anchor..." comment was referring to the "BoB"!
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »

Allcon:

In an update, it turns out that my front brake switch is faulty.  Apparently, I was getting no brake light which is connected to the cruise via ECM.  The warranty is going to replace the switch assembly, which according to the tech, is "pricey.  They have to replace the entire switch module on the right side.  According to Ronnie's HD $231.

Now, that there is some engineering Mother Harley.

So there you go.  If your front brake is failing to disengage the cruise, check your brake lights, too.

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »

Have you had someone watch to see if the brake light is illuminating all the time when the front lever is being pulled?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »

Have you had someone watch to see if the brake light is illuminating all the time when the front lever is being pulled?

::)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 03:51:32 AM »

Allcon:

In an update, it turns out that my front brake switch is faulty.  Apparently, I was getting no brake light which is connected to the cruise via ECM.  The warranty is going to replace the switch assembly, which according to the tech, is "pricey.  They have to replace the entire switch module on the right side.  According to Ronnie's HD $231.

Now, that there is some engineering Mother Harley.

So there you go.  If your front brake is failing to disengage the cruise, check your brake lights, too.

Mark

Yep been there and got the T shirt. My entire switch module on the right side had to be replaced. The bike was delivered to me new, with a cut off switch that didn't work, had to stall the bike to switch the engine off! Took Harley 6 weeks to get a switch to the UK. Replaced under warranty

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »

Just got back from the dealer as I had the cruise control once again not disengage with the front brake. I did check the brake lights multiple times now and it always worked fine. Anyways, while the bike did not show error codes on the speedo, once we hooked it up to their Diagnosis system sure enough it had logged Code 0572 multiple times over the last 3000miles! It is the Switchpack assemblyr on the right side (Part no: 71500163A) and will need to be replaced under warranty. I am convinced that there are many of us out there riding with this faulty unit without even realizing...

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »

Just got back from the dealer as I had the cruise control once again not disengage with the front brake. I did check the brake lights multiple times now and it always worked fine. Anyways, while the bike did not show error codes on the speedo, once we hooked it up to their Diagnosis system sure enough it had logged Code 0572 multiple times over the last 3000miles! It is the Switchpack assemblyr on the right side (Part no: 71500163A) and will need to be replaced under warranty. I am convinced that there are many of us out there riding with this faulty unit without even realizing...

Thanks for the update man!  I'm taking the bike in for my 20K soon.... so I will show them this thread.  At least I know I'm not crazy and see others are having the same problem!  I genuinely appreciate the feedback!

Ride safe my friends!

2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »

Thanks for the update man!  I'm taking the bike in for my 20K soon.... so I will show them this thread.  At least I know I'm not crazy and see others are having the same problem!  I genuinely appreciate the feedback!

Ride safe my friends!

Your most welcome! Be safe and report back.

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »

Dealer replaced my switch block yesterday.  They had to fiddle with the original one to replicate the problem as it was intermittent.  That was not an issue, because they apparently know about the defect.  The technician commented that the new switch blocks are a different color now.

Sounds like a stealth recall or product program that mother Harley is content with waiting on until customers complain. I think it is a safety issue and there are enough faulty switch blocks our there to warrant a recall.  Just my 2c.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

Dealer replaced my switch block yesterday.  They had to fiddle with the original one to replicate the problem as it was intermittent.  That was not an issue, because they apparently know about the defect.  The technician commented that the new switch blocks are a different color now.

Sounds like a stealth recall or product program that mother Harley is content with waiting on until customers complain. I think it is a safety issue and there are enough faulty switch blocks our there to warrant a recall.  Just my 2c.

M

Agreed 100%! I don't want to imagine what will happen if it happens by surprise at the wrong time, in the wrong place...
I think the suffix "A" was added to the original part number to indicate the new one. If I am not mistaken the part should be around $230 or so. Bike will be going in soon.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »

Mine is definitely not properly disengaging the cruise control. Just tested it today and it wouldn't cancel the cruise control if you pulled the front brake lever unless you pulled it really hard. A couple of light pulls did nothing other than lightly apply the brakes. Lightly pressing the rear brake cancelled it ok as did pulling the clutch lever. I'm going to get it looked at when its in for its 15k and show them this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

I have had the same issue again. It seems to not turn off the cruise the first time I use it with the front brake. I had time to play with the front brake. It would not turn off the cruise after  four times I then touched the rear brake and it turned off. After that the front brake would turn off cruise on first light tap. Tech could not duplicate on last visit as it only happened once before. Tech said they would replace a module if it happens again. I will be at dealer today to have the part ordered.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.