Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone using a toy hauler?  (Read 7694 times)

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
Anyone using a toy hauler?
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »

Was looking at getting a Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27' toy hauler w/ a 9 foot garage. I'm hoping the 9' garage will be enough by using a Lock N Load wheel chock, so is anyone using a 9' garage that can give me any advice?
Fullsac stage 1

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
Re: Anyone using a toy hauler?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

we got a 12" garage in a 34" toy box, I have a piece of aluminum channel for the tires to rest in to spread the load to the floor[don't want to point load the floor at the tires only]  and a problem I deal with also is our trailer sits real high because its a 5th wheel and the bed hight of my truck is 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive hight so what this adds up to is the ramp is too short and too steep, the bike would high center [bottom out underneath] the answer is to block the ramp up about a foot and then rig an extension, your wheel chock needs to bolt to a plate that's bolted to crossmembers underneath the trailer and your tie down points need to find crossmembers underneath too
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »

This trailer is a tow behind with a dry weight of 6,300 lbs, so I'm using my 1/2 ton Chevy to pull it. Just was thinking that the garage at 9 feet might not fit my street glide.
Fullsac stage 1

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »

If you don't have to walk around the bike while it's in the garage, the 9' should be enough.  Just as long as your not blocking entry from a side door if equipped, or the main entry from the living quarters.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »

9' should be good as long as you don't have a tourpak. It will still fit with a tourpak, but you really get limited in mounting options. My garage is 10' and I would consider that the minimum for my purposes.

The length comes more into play if you are looking to bolt down chocks and be able to bolt into a cross member.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »

Okay, so no wheel chocks then in the 9 foot garage, but that stinks got it.
Fullsac stage 1

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

The new Ultra is 8.53 feet long, so that's cutting it mighty close.  Looking at the model you're talking about, you'd have to put the front tire all the way against the wall.  You could make it work, but a drive on chock would probably not be possible, though there are other ways to lock down the front wheel in place, like make a channel out of wood/metal to avoid side to side movement.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  But there's little margin for error there...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

"Ride on -step off" wheel chocks makes loading so much easier.

This is what I do - I don't recommend it for anyone else but just an idea.

I no longer bolt my chocks down.

I started with BikePro chocks, the real ones, not the hf ripoff copies.
I have 3 plates bolted to the floor of my motorcycle trailer. They work well and I never bothered to change them out.

On my toy hauler (5th wheel) I started with extra BikePro plates bolted to the floor.

I bought a Condor chock and then used the included trailer mount kit and bolted that to the floor.

After a couple of uses I removed the floor plate and just use the Condor not bolted down. A block of wood or something similar at the front to just keep it from sliding forward is all that is needed if strapped down properly.

I have since bought a second Condor for the house garage and to use if needed in the toy hauler.

Whatever you do, if you have a bike with a removable tourpak, make sure the tourpak is on when setting the chocks and make sure you have clearance on the ramp.

MV 2013

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »

I think I will do that with a condor not bolted down and put a piece of wood in front. I have a Street Glide and would never put a tour pack on it (that's just me), so that's not a problem either. So Condor it is.
Fullsac stage 1

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

6300# empty with a 900# motorcycle and the extras you need for another 1000# and you are way past a 1/2 ton any truck. That is just scary, remember a car will pull it down the road with no wind or problems. Your tow vehicle needs to be equipped for when there are problems, like panic stop (a board in front of the chock??). From someone who has pulled recreational and race trailers for over 40 years you better rethink that 8000# plus load behind a regular pick-up.

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »

I would like to use a wheel chock that is bolted to the floor with the Lock N Load straps out back. Can this be done in a toy hauler?
Fullsac stage 1

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

(a board in front of the chock??)

The 2x? is just a spacer between the chock and the front wall. Works fine, Condor's have a 2x2 piece of angle aluminun across the front.. The straps keep the bike in place. I use 5 straps, all M&M's no hf crap. 2 on the front angled down, out and forward. 2 on the bag guards down and out and 1 around the rear tire pulling straight back. The bike has been pulled 15K+ in the toy hauler this way which has included a couple of panic stops with no issues.

I use to secure the bike well enough in the motorcycle trailer (not the toy hauler) that even if it flipped the bike would stay secure. But, why bother. If either my low pro bike trailer or my high profile 5th wheel toy hauler flipped neither of the trailer would survive well enough that the bike would be unscathed had it remained perfectly tied down.

MV 2013

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »

Well looking at a 2500 truck tonight, so I can tow the new camper. The expenses are going to be big this month - new truck, camper and all the gear that will go with it. Still have to find a 4 point sway bar control. Fun fun fun
Fullsac stage 1

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:19 PM »

Well looking at a 2500 truck tonight, so I can tow the new camper. The expenses are going to be big this month - new truck, camper and all the gear that will go with it. Still have to find a 4 point sway bar control. Fun fun fun

Did you ever get your Toy Hauler and truck? 

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »

No, ended up keeping my 1500 LTZ Chevy and I picked up a Rance 7x14 trailer that I customize. Got it home and added the Biker Bar and I love that option since there is no need for strapping down the bike when hauling
Fullsac stage 1

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

I've been down that road, trying to pull too large of a trailer with not enough truck.
 after air bags , tranny cooler, stiffer sidewall tires, and a rift of other mods, I still didn't have a rig that could do the job I wanted it to do so I just bit the bullet and upgraded to an out of the box truck that met my needs.
when you're shopping for a trailer don't listen to the crap the salesman spews about your half ton being able to handle the load you're going to be putting on it, he don't have drive the damned thing. if it comes down to making the sale or not, he'll tell you anything it takes to make you sign on the dotted line.
as far as having the 9ft. garage, it'll be tight but can be done.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:53:51 AM by willymax4 »

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

I've been down that road, trying to pull too large of a trailer with not enough truck.
 after air bags , tranny cooler, stiffer sidewall tires, and a rift of other mods, I still didn't have a rig that could do the job I wanted it to do so I just bit the bullet and upgraded to an out of the box truck that met my needs.
when you're shopping for a trailer don't listen to the crap the salesman spews about your half ton being able to handle the load you're going to be putting on it, he don't have drive the damned thing. if it comes down to making the sale or not, he'll tell you anything it takes to make you sign on the dotted line.
as far as having the 9ft. garage, it'll be tight but can be done.

I hear you.  One of the reasons I have the toy hauler I have is because I bought what I thought my V6 Tacoma could tow.  It could tow it, but I certainly was not comfortable feeling like I was going to die the whole time.  I ended up trading a new truck for a new truck, just so I could tow my new toy hauler.  I did a bunch of research prior to buying too, so anyone contemplating a toy hauler be very careful. The main thing to worry about is tongue weight.  MY F150 can tow 9,000 lbs, but the payload is only rated to 1200 lbs.  By the time I attach my loaded toy hauler, load my wife, 2 dogs, gear, and me I'm at max payload.  I'm way under what I can tow at by about 3500 lbs., but maxed out on payload. 

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »

i'm about 15% under my truck's max towing weight. I can run all day in the mountains and never break a sweat.
I've gone around too many rigs struggling to pull a hill or swaying back and forth in high winds remembering the times I was in their shoes.
 get the right tool for the job at hand and you'll never be sorry.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

BTDT GTTS too.

Started with a 2500HD, made the jump to F-350 DRW and the next one will be a F-450

MV 2013

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »

So, Willy, what do you tow with now?  Just doing my homework for when/if I ever get a 5th wheel. It's all a dream now.  My 1/2 T will struggle with my enclosed bike trailer against a heavy headwind. I can just imagine what a 5th wheel would do coming across S Dakota with a 40 MPH crosswind.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »

So, Willy, what do you tow with now?  Just doing my homework for when/if I ever get a 5th wheel. It's all a dream now.  My 1/2 T will struggle with my enclosed bike trailer against a heavy headwind. I can just imagine what a 5th wheel would do coming across S Dakota with a 40 MPH crosswind.

It is night and day towing a 5th wheel vs a ball hitch.  When I tow my 5th wheel I don't even notice the crosswinds or semis passing.  I have friends who describe white knuckle drives with a ball hitch.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

I've got a 2002 f 250 with the 7.3 powerstroke,(last of the decent powertrokes IMO). all that truck does is pull my toy box, otherwise it's parked in my garage. I don't want to start a debate about which diesel is better or anything like that, but after kicking tires recently, and seeing what has happened to diesels lately,(particulate filters and their clean out cycles, exhaust fluid and all the crap the EPA is requiring) my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »

my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

Its not even broke in yet.  By the way what kind of fuel mileage do you get towing with it? 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

Its not even broke in yet.  By the way what kind of fuel mileage do you get towing with it?  

Todd

18 empty,/10 to 12 loaded and as they say, your mileage may vary according to driving conditions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:30:36 AM by willymax4 »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »

I've got a 2002 f 250 with the 7.3 powerstroke,(last of the decent powertrokes IMO). all that truck does is pull my toy box, otherwise it's parked in my garage. I don't want to start a debate about which diesel is better or anything like that, but after kicking tires recently, and seeing what has happened to diesels lately,(particulate filters and their clean out cycles, exhaust fluid and all the crap the EPA is requiring) my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

You didn't START a diesel bebate.....you ENDED it
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »

You didn't START a diesel bebate.....you ENDED it

................ one of the good things about the new diesels is that you don't have to live a half mile from your neighbors to warm it up in the morning  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 24 queries.