Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anyone using a toy hauler?  (Read 7658 times)

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Anyone using a toy hauler?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

I've been down that road, trying to pull too large of a trailer with not enough truck.
 after air bags , tranny cooler, stiffer sidewall tires, and a rift of other mods, I still didn't have a rig that could do the job I wanted it to do so I just bit the bullet and upgraded to an out of the box truck that met my needs.
when you're shopping for a trailer don't listen to the crap the salesman spews about your half ton being able to handle the load you're going to be putting on it, he don't have drive the damned thing. if it comes down to making the sale or not, he'll tell you anything it takes to make you sign on the dotted line.
as far as having the 9ft. garage, it'll be tight but can be done.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:53:51 AM by willymax4 »

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

I've been down that road, trying to pull too large of a trailer with not enough truck.
 after air bags , tranny cooler, stiffer sidewall tires, and a rift of other mods, I still didn't have a rig that could do the job I wanted it to do so I just bit the bullet and upgraded to an out of the box truck that met my needs.
when you're shopping for a trailer don't listen to the crap the salesman spews about your half ton being able to handle the load you're going to be putting on it, he don't have drive the damned thing. if it comes down to making the sale or not, he'll tell you anything it takes to make you sign on the dotted line.
as far as having the 9ft. garage, it'll be tight but can be done.

I hear you.  One of the reasons I have the toy hauler I have is because I bought what I thought my V6 Tacoma could tow.  It could tow it, but I certainly was not comfortable feeling like I was going to die the whole time.  I ended up trading a new truck for a new truck, just so I could tow my new toy hauler.  I did a bunch of research prior to buying too, so anyone contemplating a toy hauler be very careful. The main thing to worry about is tongue weight.  MY F150 can tow 9,000 lbs, but the payload is only rated to 1200 lbs.  By the time I attach my loaded toy hauler, load my wife, 2 dogs, gear, and me I'm at max payload.  I'm way under what I can tow at by about 3500 lbs., but maxed out on payload. 

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »

i'm about 15% under my truck's max towing weight. I can run all day in the mountains and never break a sweat.
I've gone around too many rigs struggling to pull a hill or swaying back and forth in high winds remembering the times I was in their shoes.
 get the right tool for the job at hand and you'll never be sorry.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

BTDT GTTS too.

Started with a 2500HD, made the jump to F-350 DRW and the next one will be a F-450
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »

So, Willy, what do you tow with now?  Just doing my homework for when/if I ever get a 5th wheel. It's all a dream now.  My 1/2 T will struggle with my enclosed bike trailer against a heavy headwind. I can just imagine what a 5th wheel would do coming across S Dakota with a 40 MPH crosswind.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »

So, Willy, what do you tow with now?  Just doing my homework for when/if I ever get a 5th wheel. It's all a dream now.  My 1/2 T will struggle with my enclosed bike trailer against a heavy headwind. I can just imagine what a 5th wheel would do coming across S Dakota with a 40 MPH crosswind.

It is night and day towing a 5th wheel vs a ball hitch.  When I tow my 5th wheel I don't even notice the crosswinds or semis passing.  I have friends who describe white knuckle drives with a ball hitch.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

I've got a 2002 f 250 with the 7.3 powerstroke,(last of the decent powertrokes IMO). all that truck does is pull my toy box, otherwise it's parked in my garage. I don't want to start a debate about which diesel is better or anything like that, but after kicking tires recently, and seeing what has happened to diesels lately,(particulate filters and their clean out cycles, exhaust fluid and all the crap the EPA is requiring) my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »

my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

Its not even broke in yet.  By the way what kind of fuel mileage do you get towing with it? 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

Its not even broke in yet.  By the way what kind of fuel mileage do you get towing with it?  

Todd

18 empty,/10 to 12 loaded and as they say, your mileage may vary according to driving conditions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:30:36 AM by willymax4 »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »

I've got a 2002 f 250 with the 7.3 powerstroke,(last of the decent powertrokes IMO). all that truck does is pull my toy box, otherwise it's parked in my garage. I don't want to start a debate about which diesel is better or anything like that, but after kicking tires recently, and seeing what has happened to diesels lately,(particulate filters and their clean out cycles, exhaust fluid and all the crap the EPA is requiring) my super duty will be with me for a long time to come with only 81000 on the clock .

You didn't START a diesel bebate.....you ENDED it
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »

You didn't START a diesel bebate.....you ENDED it

................ one of the good things about the new diesels is that you don't have to live a half mile from your neighbors to warm it up in the morning  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.