Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: cvo road glide custom or 2015 cvo road glide ultra  (Read 11068 times)

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
cvo road glide custom or 2015 cvo road glide ultra
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »

How many of us who ride the customs would change over to the ultra's? I'm not convinced about the back end of the ultra's too road king like with the way the lights look also the non removable lowers, water cooled and the handle bars mmmm just wandering haven't got a lot to do this afternoon just thought I'd put it out there. 8)

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
Re: cvo road glide custom or 2015 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

I would, but it would have to have removable Tour Pak, Solo Seat, and Extended Bags :orange:

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

I'm going from a '13 Atomic Orange RGC to a '15 Autumn Sunset RGU next month…..Can't wait!

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »

Ya - love the look on my '13 rear turn signals. Was thinking about changing that over if I get the RG Ultra. Although you will have holes to fill in the fender.

Buck Sturgis

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

The blacked out engine on the custom looks better than the ultra. I like the 13 fairing better too!

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:13 PM »

I would, but it would have to have removable Tour Pak, Solo Seat, and Extended Bags :orange:

That list is relatively easily achievable, especially the first two items. I already have detachable rack and 4pt mounting kit ordered. I did extended bags on my old bike for the "look". Looked nice but was money wasted on styling, imho.

DH

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

How many of us who ride the customs would change over to the ultra's? I'm not convinced about the back end of the ultra's too road king like with the way the lights look also the non removable lowers, water cooled and the handle bars mmmm just wandering haven't got a lot to do this afternoon just thought I'd put it out there. 8)

It's all in what you want to do with your bike. If you want to pound out miles and miles of travel, I suggest you go with the Ultra RG. If you are more interested in styling and want to slap on a TP for a longer trip, then stick with the Custom.

I suggest you read the reviews we have going in the Ultra Road Glide discussion. 
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=98047.0

I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you.

DH

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »

They are nice no doubt, but I am sticking with my RGC. 
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »

I pound out thousands and thousands of miles on my street glide.  You can do it on either. If you want style you go custom otherwise the ultra is the better value imo

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »

I pound out thousands and thousands of miles on my street glide.  You can do it on either. If you want style you go custom otherwise the ultra is the better value imo

:2vrolijk_21:

CultusRider

• Just because you have a crack in your arse doesn't make you a cripple.
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2015 Fltruse
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »

Old man's RG
CultusRider

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »

Old man's RG

Excellent. Did the TP conversion to detachable and got a new windshield. Which windshield mfg, Harley?
Which solo seat is that - Corbin?

DH

CultusRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 01:37:17 AM »

Yep, 12" HD Windsplitter - not working for me or the wife, will look to a recurve from windvest, clearview, or freedom... I'm 6'1". The seat is from Mustang, also have the 2 up "pad" as well, in the solo configuration it is like a suspended or hammock style, surprisingly comfortable for 300 mile rides. Cheers.
CultusRider

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 02:39:34 AM »

Just remember... ALL touring bikes  - SERG(U)s, SESGs, SERKs, SEUCs, SELs - are exactly the same bike mechanically. The rest is just whatever bells and whistles you prefer.

The SEUCs (now SELs) as well as the new SERGU, come with lots of nice creature comforts you may or may not ever really need, but if you want to remove the Tour Pak to slim it down, it's gonna cost you, and it still won't look like the SERGCs/SESGs. The SERGCs/SESGs come with arguably cooler styling, and come lowered from the factory, with better rear suspension... But if you want a Tour Pak for long hauls, it's gonna cost you to implement that.

The MoCo continues to muddle things year after year, to satisfy different market demographics. There will never be a "perfect" CVO for everyone. There COULD be, if the MoCo ever implements a truly custom ordering system... But frankly I don't ever see that happening. They are a build-to-market company, not a build-to-order company... and I can't see them ever morphing to that.

I guess the bottom line is to get the bike that MOVES you, and then outfit it the way you want it. One size definitely does NOT fit all in the Harley world.

And the debate between the Sharks and the Bats will never end!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »

I have not priced it out but I wonder which way would be cheaper?  Buying the Ultra and converting it down to a Custom, or buying a CVO Custom or Street Glide and adding some of the Ultra goodies.  For me, I love my '13 RGC but its time to go to the geezer side of the house.  If I need to, I'll remove the tour pack on my new ultra and turn it into a custom for around town riding.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »

I have not priced it out but I wonder which way would be cheaper?  Buying the Ultra and converting it down to a Custom, or buying a CVO Custom or Street Glide and adding some of the Ultra goodies.  For me, I love my '13 RGC but its time to go to the geezer side of the house.  If I need to, I'll remove the tour pack on my new ultra and turn it into a custom for around town riding.

Lots of us have done the up-conversion of our SESG with Detachable Tour Pak, passenger footboards, etc. Some even go with the speaker pods, etc. I didn't do those because my SESG already has the saddlebag speakers. I spent about $2500 for the TP/mounts/spoiler/LED lighting, liners, etc. An Ultra LED light bar is another several hundred, and a top rack is a couple hundred more. I didn't do either one of those.

I did spend a whopping $600 on passenger footboards and Rumble inserts to match... and I didn't even get the adjustable footboards. They are a hundred or two more, I think. That's a lot of money for friggin' floorboards!

And then decent two-up seats, etc! Now your SERGC/SESG is pretty much at the same total investment as an Ultra... but you still don't have all of the Ultra goodies like heated grips and seat, passenger intercom, etc. I don't need all that stuff, and I just love the SESG look, so I went with an SESG and added the stuff I wanted.

Others have stripped their SEUC/SERGU/SEL with detachable TP mounts, antenna relocator, amp relocation, etc. That can many hundreds. To get the SERGC/SESG look, still others have done the stretched bags and SERGC/SESG rear fascia... now you're into several THOUSAND for that! Add a sleek seat for when the TP is off,  and that can be another $500... or much more depending on what you get.

So, if you want the SERGC/SESG look, I'd go with one and add the TP, lights, speaker pods if you want, rack if you want, passenger boards, heated grips if you want, etc... and for SURE a better two-up long haul seat if you do long trips. The SERGC/SESG stock seats look cool, but are complete crap to sit on for hours!

If you want all of the Ultra creature comforts, and don't really care about the SERGC/SESG bags and rear fascia look, then it would be far cheaper to fit a SEUC/SERGU/SEL with a removable TP and a sleek seat. You could do that AND even put much better rear shocks on it for less than adding the TP, boards, good touring seat, etc. to a SERGC/SESG.

If you want both the SERGC/SESG look AND a full-bore touring rig with all the Ultra bells and whistles... it can be done, and has been. Just start with a SEUC/SERGU/SEL to get all of the Ultra goodies... AND THEN OPEN YOUR WALLET REALLY WIDE!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »

agree with all, I guess my point was, either way you do this, the cost will be about the same.  Maybe a little more to strip an ultra down.   This is why the P&A catalog is so big, lots of ways you can go.
As long as your riding and having fun, all is good!

CultusRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

cvo road glide custom or 2015 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »

I've done both a few times, built up and stripped down... with the goal each time to give us 2 bikes for the price of about 1.2 cvo's. I've even turned a fltr into the equivalent of a sergu but it ended up costing a little more than an equivalent cvo once the engine work was done (although this path leads to a more unique bike than dressing up or down a cvo imho). For us the sergu is the ultimate (HD) machine for long haul 2 up riding enjoyment and I can see I'm in the minority here but I prefer the standard bags on a touring bike whereas the sergc is pure cool and tends to be treated that way by friends that have them (fewer miles, more stops at the local gathering spots). On a related note, installed for the first time today the Fullsac 2" cores, dx header, and TTS, was a bit of work but took my time and am happy so far with the results. Will look to put a few more kms on before the insurance expires in November.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:36:19 AM by CultusRider »
CultusRider

GMONEY

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »

CVORG hands down. Then again I'm biased.   I've got mine set up for both ways with a pass backrest & a matching TP for long hauls. 

It's a Harley, Since when is cost a factor? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
\_/ Chicks Dig Ape Hangers \_/
IronButt Assoc. #27301
Long Range Riding Platoon

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »

I've been pondering all the points mentioned above for weeks now and have concluded that I may be making  move to the dark side and go with a customized RGS. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a new RGU and really don't need all the various options that my CVO Ultra has ether.

Sorry Simon but those stretched bags are still cool even if they don't add function.

Might be a vivid black customized RGS at Ribfest15 or MV15, or not we'll see.  :)
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »

I've been pondering all the points mentioned above for weeks now and have concluded that I may be making  move to the dark side and go with a customized RGS. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a new RGU and really don't need all the various options that my CVO Ultra has ether.

Sorry Simon but those stretched bags are still cool even if they don't add function.

Might be a vivid black customized RGS at Ribfest15 or MV15, or not we'll see.  :)

Bring it out to WC GTG in Ouray, CO!!!
I think the RGS is a smart way to go. You get a lot of bang out of that extra $3k over the plain RG. Then you just through a detached TP on it and maybe change the seat and you are all set for touring.

Best of luck, any kind of RG is a good move in my book :D

Simon

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:13 AM »

I have my bike where it looks like an Ultra when I put the Tour Pak and change seats on it and I can tell you from experience it costs a lot more to convert a Custom to an Ultra.  For me it was all about the color choice, I Love the Orange. :orange:  I still do not have all the Ultra Goodies on my bike yet, but I am getting there.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

Yes, but some of those Ultra goodies aren't necessary to everyone so rock on!   :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

I hear you, like a heated seat, I could use an air conditioned seat, lol!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »

I went from a 12 CVO Road Glide Custom to the 15 RGU Ultra.  I do like the looks of the rear of the custom better.

My 15 SERGU is now set up with a solo quick detach tour pack.  Will be doing a thread about everything needed to do it and how to do it.

There is a big difference in the way the Ultra rides compared to the custom.  The custom comes with good HD premium profile low rear shocks which are pretty good.  The Ultra comes with CRAPPY air shocks.  Bike felt loose and wallowed like a pig in hard curves.  Put a set of Ohlins on it and now it handles better than the Custom did.

Its easier to set up and Ultra as a custom than a custom to an Ultra.  At trade you get more of you money back with an ultra, as less added parts unless you add stretch bags and fender.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:39:55 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

braymond52

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide Atomic Orange
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

I traded a 2011 FLTRU in on my 2013 CVO RG Custom.  The Ultra is great for touring vacations, but the Custom is better for everything else.  So, I'll take the bike that's better for me 50 weeks of the year vs. 2 weeks.

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 09:38:48 PM »

I have done both as well did the 1998 RG evo added and then subtracted all the ultra accesories then did it again in 2007 RG fltri added all the goodies 110 chrome, tour pack , lights but it still did not have the CVO extras.So now sold that and got the 2015 RGU and funny I like the full dresser as a daily driver ,as well as the long hauler so its 32 weeks if we are lucky up hear and its all on the "big" bike  ;) ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 25 queries.