Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: XM- Sirius Merger  (Read 5968 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: XM- Sirius Merger
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »

I actually think I am already headed in that direction...I have XM, my 2-year stint is up un May...I may not renew.

Reasons:
1.  Cutting out (Tree Lines, Mountains Tunnels and even overpasses cause loss of signal)
2.  Price (the price has risen and will continue to rise)
3.  Transportability ( I am getting tired of moving the units (2) between vehicles...too expensive to maintain a unit for each vehicle until they come up with a SIM card design that can be moved as needed)

/Bill

As much as I like what it could be the things are a bit of a nuisance.  I've dropped one of the two receivers I had.  Now the only one active here is the one in the bike.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 12:01:55 PM »

As much as I like what it could be the things are a bit of a nuisance.  I've dropped one of the two receivers I had.  Now the only one active here is the one in the bike.

Well said!  That is how I feel but failed to express.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »

not sure how different the 2 technologies are, but its not like they can send a tech out to change the antenna on the satelite

In the air force they are called "In Flight Missile Repairmen"  :coolblue:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

I actually think I am already headed in that direction...I have XM, my 2-year stint is up un May...I may not renew.

Reasons:
1.  Cutting out (Tree Lines, Mountains Tunnels and even overpasses cause loss of signal)
2.  Price (the price has risen and will continue to rise)
3.  Transportability ( I am getting tired of moving the units (2) between vehicles...too expensive to maintain a unit for each vehicle until they come up with a SIM card design that can be moved as needed)

/Bill

Bill & Don, agree with all you've said.  But I hate having to search for decent FM stations to listen to when on road trips.  And in some places there are few choices and reception may be limited.  With all the expense, problems and hassles I love my XM.  Have it on the bike and truck and on my computer all day at work.  Just being able to listen to what you like in my book is a huge benefit.  I know, I know, you can rip MP3 cd's, use I-pod, etc., but I just don't have time (well will not take time) to go to all that trouble.  That to me is a big hassle!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »

Bill & Don, agree with all you've said.  But I hate having to search for decent FM stations to listen to when on road trips.  And in some places there are few choices and reception may be limited.  With all the expense, problems and hassles I love my XM.  Have it on the bike and truck and on my computer all day at work.  Just being able to listen to what you like in my book is a huge benefit.  I know, I know, you can rip MP3 cd's, use I-pod, etc., but I just don't have time (well will not take time) to go to all that trouble.  That to me is a big hassle!

Yeap, me too Jerry.  Don't know why but I HATE sitting down and going through the process of burning MP3s.  So, of course, I don't.  And hunting for radio stations when wandering the countryside annoys me too.  You can only listen to that Bob Seeger so many times and you finally stop noticing it is even there.  So I did keep the XM for the bike.  Anything else I've got palatable options for.  Just one of these "least hassle of the hassles" kind of things.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »

I've got Sirius in the truck and XM on the bike.  The real pain is I didn't have a choice on either one so wind up paying full pop for service on both.  It would be nice, in a perfect world, if they would discount one or the other for current subscribers as part of the merger.  I prefer the Sirus programming and it would be nice if they made them both the same... again, in a perfect world... :nixweiss:
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »

I've got Sirius in the truck and XM on the bike.  The real pain is I didn't have a choice on either one so wind up paying full pop for service on both.  It would be nice, in a perfect world, if they would discount one or the other for current subscribers as part of the merger.  I prefer the Sirus programming and it would be nice if they made them both the same... again, in a perfect world... :nixweiss:

I have Sirius in 2 vehicles (1 portable) and just ordered a new truck but it's has XM. I prefer Sirius also. My brother has XM and didn't call to renew after the 3 month trial, they called and he ended up getting service for 6.95 per month.

Bigdog

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:11 PM »

I have Sirius in 2 vehicles (1 portable) and just ordered a new truck but it's has XM. I prefer Sirius also. My brother has XM and didn't call to renew after the 3 month trial, they called and he ended up getting service for 6.95 per month.

Bigdog

That's interesting Bigdog, maybe I'll give that a try for the bike after the dust settles.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:05:48 PM by Tbone »
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Have XM on the bike and the wifes car,  don't know anything about Sirus other tahn they have Howard Stern.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »

don't know anything about Sirus other tahn they have Howard Stern.

That'll be one channel I avoid if he gets merged on to standard XM programming when all this is done....

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »

The scoop is this...The equipment out now will not work with the other service, but they are working on new equipment that will receive both, its called interoperability or something like that ...here's a link to the new company that will offer a combined machine...http://www.selectsatelliteradio.com/     ....They say a modified chipset will allow one unit receive both systems, which is what they want in the future - and allow them to basically double the bandwidth they have available. But in the meantime...the services will combine content and reduce redundancies. This means for example, that they will pick one of the services 70's channels and broadcast that on both services, one CNN feed on both, one punk rock, and so forth. I gotta think this will mean elimination of some of the niche channels in order to make room on Sirius systems for example, for the MLB channels and on XM for NFL and NASCAR channels. On your XM for example you will soon get Martha Stewart next to your Oprah channel you lucky dogs! To add these though some others must be eliminated or reduced bandwidth per channel which hurts the already compressed audio quality. Eventually, new units will receive from both Birds, then there will be bandwidth galore for the extra channels and better sound quality. Also, this will allow for combined usage of terrestrial repeaters, giving you big city dwellers great reception, I have been in tunnels in NYC and got a signal. I have the portable INNO model that is also a MP3 player and records 50 hours of music, so when I do get deep in the mountains or woods I can switch to recorded music, heck its not often anyhow but if I had to depend on FM those areas wouldn't have anything to get regardless.

All in all, I look forward to getting NASCAR and NFL back......Ohh yeah - then there's that HOTTIE Martha Stewart!!! :huepfenjump3:
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 08:38:47 PM »

Have XM on the bike and the wifes car,  don't know anything about Sirus other tahn they have Howard Stern.

Now here's a has been if there every was one...Think about it...Howard K. Stern has become the "King of All Media" (Stern's former title) as of late.  Perhaps he should take the show?

;D

BigShowff1

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

I have Sirius in two of my cars.  They were talking about it on Howard 100, they said that all of the new technology for the merger will be backwards compatable.  They also said that they would broadcast the xm stations they decide to keep through the xm satellites and the Sirius satellites, and vice versa for the Sirius stations they decide to keep.  They make it sound like no new hardware will be required for existing customers.   It also sounds like they are going to take the best from both and get rid of the rest. 

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »

XM on Direct Tv and Sirius is on Dish Network.

Everything read to date indicates that this will be good for the consumer (so says XM and Sirius). The problem is the FCC and monopoly issues. If they don't merge, and you are a baseball fan as well as a hockey fan, you'll have to subscribe to both XM and Sirius to enjoy your fill of both. That's not the the only example, Stern, Martha Stewart, Oprah and many others have exclusive contract with one of these companies, not both.

It's plain to see that XM and Sirius have not progressed to the point that the cable networks and Sat networks have regarding the offering of basically the same service with virtually the same offerrings.

Both of these companies have never made a profit  in any quarter since they began service. Basic business 101 says you can't stay in business if you don't make a profit. I own stock in these companies and this was almost inevitable and I think it'll be a necessity if they are to survive the long haul.
Ron

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2007, 03:53:45 PM »

Just received a letter from XM relating to the merge.

Contrary to speculation the letter indicates that all equipment will continue to function and be supported.  Additionally the programing will continue and they are working on ways to offer the programming from one to the other service. 

DISH, Cable etc. do this with packages and I imagine it would be the same here.

Double click the letter to enlarge.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:05:24 PM by Rjob749 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 22 queries.