Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Personal opinions  (Read 13157 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Personal opinions
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:52:59 AM »

I hate to say this, but the site has become a lot less enjoyable to me in the past few months.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it's the inevitable growth in membership.  Seems when I first joined it was more about fellow HD lovers who shared their passions for the bikes, might have the occasional discussion about politics or religion, but mostly in good humor and good taste.  Might disagree at times, but no harm was ever done.  That no longer seems to be the case.  If you don't agree with someone's statements, your integrity, intelligence, or character is called into question these days. The heart is never in the mix.  It's not fun for me any more.  Damn shame too, because I've met some fine people here, though I've never seem some of them face to face.  Some here, even those I've never met before, could have the shirt off my back if they needed it, and they know who they are.  Some here now, I'm sorry to say, I would not piss on if they were on fire, and it's awfully hard for me to not find some kind of good in most people I've met in my lifetime.

I guess it's a general commentary on the divisiveness we're all experiencing in the country as a whole, and I see little good from it all.  Most of us here grew up in a time when we thought we could change the world, and in some ways we did...some of them didn't work, but some of them did work, and we seem to have forgotten about the good, and concentrate on some of the bad.  The Pendulum swings both ways, but seems to always come back towards the middle, given time and good decision makers.  At times, I think I may be the only idealist alive on the planet, but I'll die that way, because I have not forgotten how chitty things were before idealism became the predominant thought process...though only for a few short years.  MUCH good came out of those years, lest we all forget.  Being good stewards is one thing Christianity is all about, but again, that depends on one's current perspective, or self serving needs/wants.  I don't think that is what is meant by the philosophy, but then I could be wrong about that as well.  Hypocrisy seems to me to be more prevalent than ever before, but again that might just be my perspective.  I have made a conscious effort not to forget some of the idealistic goals of my past.  Times are really hard for an awful lot of people right now....I see it daily, and am experiencing it myself, though I am on a bed of roses compared to some, and try my best not to forget where I came from.  My conscious is clear...I've always done my best to treat people, regardless of circumstances, some of which may have been created through their own bad decisions, as well as they would allow me to treat them.

Just seems that things are a bit askew lately, and this site has become a bit one sided on many subjects.  Off my cola crate now...for fear of offending those who prefer soap boxes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Personal opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:27:25 AM »

Off my cola crate now...for fear of offending those who prefer soap boxes.

Soap boxes.  TC, I don't even like to bathe.

Next week the 09s will begin occupying the chatter for good while.  Much of the best chatter often dies down a bit in the summer.  Folks are simply away more.  And it is a general election cycle (though those are threads I rarely touch with even 100' poles).

TC, if you stop bathing too the soap boxes won't bother you (i.e., just don't look at them).  After all, it don't matter if people are calling you names if you don't read their words :coolblue: .

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:27:45 AM »

It all boils down to perspective, what you are focusing on is going to be what you perceive.

Allthough most make fun of him, I did the Anthony Robins program on CD a number of years ago... I learned lots about myself then.

One of the things that Robins talks about is how important it is to focus on the positive, and he provides an example of attending a party.

If you are at a party of say 100 people, and the group that you are hanging with are energetic, fun, and are having a great time... you will leave the party with a very positive attitude and will reference the event as positive as well.

If however you were at the same party, but are in a different section of the room where a couple were continually arguing and bickering at each other throughout... odds are that you are not going the enjoy yourself and come not away with a positive experience.

It also boils down to how high your expectations are.

Robins also spoke about a man who's whole focus in life was that "any day above ground was going to be a great day"... when your standards and expectations of an event or process are so basic that you can't help but accomplish the goal, the experience has to be positive.

There will always be knobs out there, and in here... by the way, soap is highly over rated!

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »

Another Tony Robbins thought:  People communicate for two reasons -- to express love or to call for help.  There are plenty of each here.

There is no emotion in the written word, only in our own thoughts of emotion as we read them.  Keep your chin up, and I hope you can once again enjoy the site like you once did.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

Keep the faith, the middle of the road will reapear eventually. Speak your heart Even when it is not popular! :)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

elvislee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »

Keep the faith, the middle of the road will reapear eventually. Speak your heart Even when it is not popular! :)

Short sweet and to the point...You know...we can all look into the mirror and reflect back to certain posts we've made on this site and and ask ourselves if we should have responded with certain words as we did and I'm sure we can find some things we've said that we wish we hadn't. this site is a wonderful site and I suspect it will remain so. I may or may not be one of those who you wouldn't piss on if their guts were on fire :-\but either way life continues on and as we all know...Life ain't perfect, were all human and we make mistakes...So as someone on this site recently said..."LET IT GO"!..
Have fun, enjoy the time we have with our loved ones, because more quickly than the blink of an eye they will be gone and the worry of weather someone pissed you off on a website will seem not so important anymore...Best to ya TCnBham :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:58:43 PM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

And it is a general election cycle (though those are threads I rarely touch with even 100' poles).

Yep.  I have reaffirmed my pledge to stay way from politics on a posting board.  It's like "Not only do I disagree with you, but you're a stupid idiot.  See.  This e-mail I just got says so".

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »

I prefer to think of life as a pendulum. I know how good it can be, and a little taste of crap reminds you how good those twinkies are. It's only a matter of time before it swings back again. I wish you patience my bro, with peace and love to follow. I have a gorgeous bike, the greatest wife,  2 daughters as crazy as I am, and 2 grandkids, 1 boy 1 girl, That I'm breaking in slowly to my way of thinking. It's good and it's gonna get better.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »

Terry,
The more members we get the more diverse this forum's going to get.  It's inevitable.  My attitude is that life it too short to sweat the small chit.  Enjoy the time that God has given you to ride on this great planet, and don't worry about what other people think.   Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one, and most of them stink.   ::)  Hope to see you back in the wind someday soon Bro so that we can hook up and ride.   ;)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »

Terry,
The more members we get the more diverse this forum's going to get.  It's inevitable.  My attitude is that life it too short to sweat the small chit.  Enjoy the time that God has given you to ride on this great planet, and don't worry about what other people think.   Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one, and most of them stink.   ::)  Hope to see you back in the wind someday soon Bro so that we can hook up and ride.   ;)

:devil:
Good post!  My thoughts exactly!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »

Just seems that things are a bit askew lately, and this site has become a bit one sided on many subjects.  Off my cola crate now...for fear of offending those who prefer soap boxes.
[/quote]
I enjoyed reading your posts. Dont take it personal and dont give up. Thats what the people pushing the one sided agenda want you to do. There are many out there who probably agree with you that dont want to waste their time battling knuckleheads.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

elvislee

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:09:52 AM »

Who likes "KNUCKLEHEADS"?,:beerchug:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »

Hey Terry.....you've got quite a few friends on this site.  Just remember that and don't let a few 'bullys' ruin the total experience of this great forum....we're all here due to our attraction to the bikes....Get another one as soon as you can and enjoy the stress relief it always affords you.  Hope to see you in the near future.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

I guess I don't take this as seriously as some, but I actually laugh at some of the stuff that goes on in here!  Good, cheap entertainment. :2vrolijk_21:

I do understand your comments, and the best advice I could give is that you know who your friends are, and don't let the words of a few ruin ythe friendships of many.  Most know who the "bullys" are, and are probably as amused as I am with some of the comments they type.

Life is short.  Enjoy!
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »

Hey Terry.....you've got quite a few friends on this site.  Just remember that and don't let a few 'bully's' ruin the total experience of this great forum....we're all here due to our attraction to the bikes....Get another one as soon as you can and enjoy the stress relief it always affords you.  Hope to see you in the near future.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

I second that Terry.  I've felt some of the same things you expressed, especially when I offer up a comment concerning the current "hooray for me 'cause I'm rich" and/or "I got mine, screw the rest of you" ideology that has left this country in such wonderful shape.  Some folks obviously have to resort to personal attacks rather than a reasoned discussion of the issues, most likely due to a personality or intellect problem.  Rather than let them get to you or drive you away, just speak your piece and move on.  When we let the radicals on either side silence us, we all lose.  And between you, me, and the fencepost, I'm betting there are many more decent folks on this site who would much prefer reading your insightful posts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.