Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NO DEAL, Deal or no Deal  (Read 3774 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
NO DEAL, Deal or no Deal
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:19:55 AM »

Why The Lucky Case Game is No Deal
by Christine De Graff, Editor
The Sweepstakes Wire

Do you want a "chance to win" $10,000? Sure!
How about a "chance at a chance to win" $10,000? Huh? Ok, I guess.
Do you think it is worth paying $.99 for that chance at a chance to win???

Personally, I don't, but many people do. If you are one of the many people text messaging the number of the "lucky case" during the Deal or No Deal game show, you will pay, and you might just pay more than you think! First of all, you are paying $.99 for each guess - and, if you don't pick the "lucky case", you aren't even being entered into the sweepstakes! Ridiculous? Wait, it gets worse!

The Rules

6. How To Register and Enter At Home by Cell Phone: If you have a text messaging capable cell phone from a participating carrier, you may enter the Promotion once prompted to by the announcer, by sending a text message to the short code 59595 with your guess of the number (1 through 6) of the "lucky case" you are selecting from the gold briefcases. Standard text messaging rates apply. In addition, a premium text message charge of $.99 will apply to all text messages sent and received in connection with the Promotion. You will receive a "thank you" text message the following day including a DEAL OR NO DEAL Insider message. This message provides additional information about the Show and its host that viewers cannot get anywhere else. You may stop receiving text messages at any time by responding "end", "stop" or "quit" to the thank you text message or to any of the messages. For every correct guess submitted via text messaging, you will receive one (1) entry into the corresponding Grand Prize drawing or the corresponding Bonus Grand Prize drawing (determined by date and time of entry) to select the Grand Prize Winner or the Bonus Grand Prize winner (as applicable) and will subsequently be entered into the Trip Prize drawing. Only correct guesses of the "lucky case" number will be eligible for the corresponding Grand Prize drawing or the corresponding Bonus Grand Prize drawing (as applicable) and the Trip Prize drawing. Please use caution and do not disrupt traffic or drive in an unsafe manner while participating in the registration/entry process.
Yeah, ok "text message charge of $.99 will apply" - so what, right? You already said you thought it was worth $.99. But, wait, read a little further.... "of $.99 will apply to all text messages sent and received...."!!! Whoa! What do they mean by received? Keep reading! "You will receive a .... message the following day.... You may stop receiving text messages... by responding to the thank you message or to any of the messages....

Ok, I have heard enough. Let's do some math:

First, you text message your guess - $.99
Then, they send you a "thank you" message - $.99
Then, you send them a "stop" message - $.99
Cost: $2.97 for one "chance at a chance" (remember, if you guessed wrong, you aren't even in the drawing!)

Now, if you are like most people, you probably didn't even read the rules, so you probably don't even know you are getting charged for awhile.....

First, you text message your guess - $.99 Then, they send you a "thank you" message - $.99 Then, they probably send you a message to say "your lucky case was picked" or "your case wasn't so lucky" - $.99 Then, they probably send you a message telling you who the lucky case winner was - $.99 Then, they might send you a reminder to play again next time - $.99 Then, they might remind you again - $.99 Then, you are sick of their text messages so send them a "stop" message - $.99 (if you are lucky enough to send it this soon in their game)
Cost: $6.93

Ok, so what if you decide to enter the maximum number of guesses?? 10 right? That should cost you 10 guess text messages ($9.90) + 10 "thank you" replies ($9.90) + 10 "stop" messages ($9.90) = $29.70 - right???

Guess again :) 10 is the maximum number of entries you can earn - you can guess until your cell phone is shut off when you can't pay your bill!!!

BTW, did you know that you could have guessed online for free? Of course! No purchase necessary! After all, this IS a legitimate sweepstakes, isn't it??

Online Entry: http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/playwin/dondregister2.shtml
Official Rules: http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/playwin/rules.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About The Sweepstakes Wire

Copyright © 2006, by The Sweepstakes Wire™, http://www.sweepstakes.bz
All rights reserved.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: NO DEAL, Deal or no Deal
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:24:45 AM »

Thanks for the info, just sent it to wifey she's a fan of this show. More then likely she's one of the ones that has been playing. :(

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:30:30 AM »

We sent one message and whamo, in come the text like my case of giardia when I went moose hunting.

I must have received 4 or 5 and I had sent "remove" which didn't work.  You must send the "end" or "stop" text, then they still send a sorry message which I imagine you pay for too.

I looked on the net today and found the article I posted.

This is just a BS deal, imagine the kids and grannies/grandpas etc that are getting duped and can't figure out how to shut it off.

Even if you figure it out the wankers got you for a few bucks, plus the texting fees.  Somebody should do something about it.  It is one thing to make it seem like you are spending a dollar but the follow scam is totally BS.

Note that you can enter online for FREE and it actually is. [smiley=soapbox.gif]

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:32:19 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 06:32:14 PM »

Is this the show I saw Penn Gillette in a commercial for?  The whole show seemed to be some dweeb practicing ethnic, social and gender stereoptyping and profiling in front of a national TV audience for money.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:37:04 PM »

Is this the show I saw Penn Gillette in a commercial for?  The whole show seemed to be some dweeb practicing ethnic, social and gender stereoptyping and profiling in front of a national TV audience for money.

No thats Identity or something.

This one just guess where the money is.  Just as stupid.

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »

It is amazing how some individuals just twist the he!! out of capitalism.  Really pizzes me off.  My Dad got duped like that.  God has a very special place for a$$holes like that.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »

personally anyone who uses text mess.( at the cost they get),,is a little loose. :o

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Bagger

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »

personally anyone who uses text mess.( at the cost they get),,is a little loose. :o

Uh.........OK.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »

$9.95 unlimited text messaging per month?

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 03:18:38 AM »

We no longer use the text message feature on our phones, but when we lived in Northern VA and worked in the district, we used the heck out of it.  There are places - meetings, subway, buses, slug lines, commuter vehicles where talking is just not done, but when you have in the middle of two or three hour commute you may wish to say where you are at - text messaging rocks.  We got so good at it that we spent way more hours on text messaging than voice.  Then two and a half years ago we got transferred out here in the boonies, and well, now we just talk. Stopped paying for the text feature - and don't miss it.  So like everything, depends on what life is dishing out at you how you handle it.  

Bagger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 06:53:16 AM »

I don't think I could have said it any better myself Mrs.We

cigarmike

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

My wife when asked said, 'yes' she has been playing the Deal or no deal lucky case game....scared to see my next cell phone bill. I usually dont look at it, just peek inside and pay it, I have the family share plan, including the daughter who talks too much, the wife who talks too much, and a son who likes to download any advertised song or game on his phone, plus 2 employee phones, ....so whats another wasted cost?, I get to write it off on my buisness.....and Im only doing my part to support the show, ......I mean, that ton of money they give away on that show has to come from somewhere?, Right?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 12:00:45 PM »

My wife when asked said, 'yes' she has been playing the Deal or no deal lucky case game....scared to see my next cell phone bill. I usually dont look at it, just peek inside and pay it, I have the family share plan, including the daughter who talks too much, the wife who talks too much, and a son who likes to download any advertised song or game on his phone, plus 2 employee phones, ....so whats another wasted cost?, I get to write it off on my buisness.....and Im only doing my part to support the show, ......I mean, that ton of money they give away on that show has to come from somewhere?, Right?

You got it, but I would be interested to see if it really multiplies like it seemed mine did.  I haven't gotten a bill to see, but holy crap, I think in just a day I had three or four of those 99 cent text messages.

The scarey one is the multiple guesses that each add up.  Can you say pyramid?

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.