Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My wrist was killing me by the time I stopped!  (Read 10019 times)

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

• CVO1: '11 Convertible
My wrist was killing me by the time I stopped!
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

Yup.  Not sure whats up with that.  I thought this super cool clutch was a 'one finger squeeze'?  I'm calling BS...

I do believe that I need to rotate the lever up more so that I'm not reaching for it as much.  And granted, this is really my FIRST solid ride (this past sat...)  The grip, the ride, the sound...  Oh the sound...  The way that she feels.  Totally different than my other set of wheels.  (We won't go there, honestly no comparison!)  And I get that there is going to be an...adjustment to get used to her.  There are some other things I'd like to change.  Removing the heel shifter for example.  (Not enough room down there for it, meh!)

But ugh!  Is there a spring, or a screw that I can loosen the tension on that???  My last ride, I could actually fit my pointer finger on the inside of the lever and had FULL control up or down.  Really could feel the transmission engage.  I kinda miss that...  If I can just get it so I can get home after a 5 hour ride, that'd be great.  Literally struggling to shift going down my home street.  Thankfully I didn't really NEED to get into 2nd.... 

Am I talking crazy or...?  Thanks in advance!  Oh...  I think its time to call the dealer too.  My clock won't stay set.  =[
Rubberside down....  Get home safe to ride tomorrow!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: My wrist was killing me by the time I stopped!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »

As the engines have gotten bigger, so has the spring pressure to keep the clutch from slipping.  There are some aftermarket solutions that can help reduce the lever effort.  One such product is called the ClutchWIZ.  There are threads around here that discuss it, and you could also check it out on their web page:

http://clutchwiz.com/

There are also other solutions that use weights and centrifugal force to add pressure to the clutch pack as rpm's increase.  Those let you reduce the spring pressure so you'll have less pull effort at idle and low speeds.  However, the effort does increase dramatically as the rpm's rise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »

Even tho its a hydraulic clutch?  I can see how the clutch 'cable' might hold true, but for a system designed to have less strain on your wrist from a tight clutch.  Hmmmm...  I'll take a look see at that site, maybe stop being a baby?  HA! 

Perhaps I won't even notice it after riding some more; cuz I haven't ridden in months?

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

With a hydraulic clutch you I wouldn't think you would this kind of an issue. Mine is easy to pull in. When I get caught in stop and go traffic for awhile (20 to 30 minutes) it can get tiring but I am mostly holding the clutch in and slowly releasing to go 5 feet!  You shouldn't have any issues on a regular ride. These clutches are not adjustable and feel a little different when you first use them.  Based on what you are saying I would go to the dealer and have them check it out. I had the 2010 Convertible CVO without the hydraulic clutch and even then for normal rides I did not have issues and it was a harder pull.  Just my 2 cents!   

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »

Yeah.  Went to dealer yesterday.  He said there isn't anything you can do.  Not with these kinda clutches.  I think that its a couple of problems...  With me.  ;D  Need to get used to it, haven't used my clutch muscles in more than a few months.  I think I'll be fine by summer. 

I did also bring up the fact that I need a flash....  Low fuel warnings, clock can't stay set fer chit...  He said I can drop my bike off, and he'll have it ready for me sometime in April.  THE FUK!?!?

If all that is wrong is the clock and low fuel light.  I can deal till next winter.  My concern is that there is detrimental harm being done to my baby, since...  There IS a problem, yea?  He said there isn't a worry.  But then again, when I tried to tell him whats going on, he thought that there might be a lose wire...   :-\

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »

I had Rekluse Clutch installed at Sturgis last year.  One of my favorite modifications I've done.  http://www.rekluse.com/exp_hd.shtml

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »

WOW....  MUUUUUCH cheaper than changing it a cabled clutch too.

I do like the flexibility of automatic or manual.  Best of both worlds, or did I read into the video wrong?

Still - very interested, thank you!

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »

I have a question about shifting without pulling in the clutch.  For many year i had been riding a metric twin and could shift gears  with out pulling in the clutch if I would let off the throttle just enough to unload the pressure on the transmission. It could up shift very smoothly and it would sound as if I was using the clutch.   Because of all the problems that I have read about Harley's I have been afraid to try doing this.  Does anyone out there shift without the clutch?  Is it ok if you do it every once in a while?
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »

I have a question about shifting without pulling in the clutch.  For many year i had been riding a metric twin and could shift gears  with out pulling in the clutch if I would let off the throttle just enough to unload the pressure on the transmission. It could up shift very smoothly and it would sound as if I was using the clutch.   Because of all the problems that I have read about Harley's I have been afraid to try doing this.  Does anyone out there shift without the clutch?  Is it ok if you do it every once in a while?

Depends on how smoothly you do it.  If you're good at synchronizing the slight throttle chop and the shifter motion, clutchless upshifts are no big deal.  I don't do it often, but when I do I apply pressure to the shift lever first, then chop the throttle slightly.  Way back in the day we would use a kill switch button to momentarily cut power for WOT shifts, which you could just brush with your thumb.

These days I don't see a need to do clutchless shifts.  If the lever effort is so high it makes someone consider clutchless shifting on a regular basis, I'd suggest fixing or modifying the clutch.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »

Wow.  Good point.  I started my metric yesterday and road it a few miles.  I did the clutchless shifted all the time too!  Haven't had much saddle time on the CVO.  But those few miles...  The clutch on my metric is redic easy to pull.  Like cutting thru butter where the Harley is like cutting thru a bone.  Same knife.  Really, that much a difference!  Also find neutral is more difficult to locate too.  I sincerely hope I am just being a baby....  And this summer I can look back at my post and laugh at myself...

JS Hog

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »

I installed a lighter Spring in clutch on my wife bike you just got to be a little easier on take offs so you do not slip the clutch

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »

I installed a lighter Spring in clutch on my wife bike you just got to be a little easier on take offs so you do not slip the clutch

Did you get it from Ace?  Online?  Dealership?  I thought that it had to be a spring that I could change out!  Forgive me but, slip the clutch?  Like popping it into gear, or am I not reading that correctly?  This is what I was looking for, if you have a bit more info on how/who/what/ect...  Was this a complicated change for you?  I'm no mechanic but I have a few wrenches.  =]

Thanks mate!!!

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »

I do not have any issues with my 2012 clutch lever pressure. When stopped at a light or stopped anywhere for even just a few seconds, I will always put her in neutral instead of holding onto the clutch lever. Maybe if you are constantly applying the clutch lever, you might want to change your habit...just a thought. Also, in doing so I have become real good at finding neutral quickly. But yeah I had neutral search trouble when I first purchased her. I have shifted without using the clutch a couple times but it was by mistake because of applying upward pressure on the shifter when backing off the throttle.  I do not recommend doing it constantly.

:oops:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 02:07:33 AM »

When stopped at a light or stopped anywhere for even just a few seconds, I will always put her in neutral instead of holding onto the clutch lever.

:oops:

You may want to rethink that method, I have always been told to keep the bike in gear at a stoplight so you can get in motion quicker in the event a vehicle fails to stop in time and is going to hit you. It may give you just the amount of time you need to avoid impact. It also works in cases where some car driver is in a hurry to start off from a light and they don't pay attention to you or get annoyed that you are "taking too long" to get in gear and go.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »

I would not recommend just installing a lighter clutch spring.  A light lever pull isn't worth the damage you could do with a light spring and the subsequent slippage you're likely to encounter.  And I'm not talking about slipping the clutch when you take off from a stop, but the kind of insidious slippage that will occur at any time and not necessarily serious enough for you to notice until the wear becomes severe.  Spend the money now to do it right, or spend more later to fix the damage.

JMHO - Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.