Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: jiffy stand  (Read 19486 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
jiffy stand
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »

I watched the video and it is in compliance with the procedures in the service manual.  So I decided to check the stand on my '12 cuse7 thinking it was most likely in need of lubrication as it makes a little 'pop' sound when deployed and when retracted.  Well what I found is that the bolt was barely finger tight.  Yikes!  Needless to say I removed everything, cleaned and lubricated it and now it functions as smoothly as silk. 

So check your stand - the tightness of the bolt at the very least.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:09:10 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: jiffy stand
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »

I have a 2014 Breakout. If I turn the handlebars to the right the jiffy stand won't hold the bike up. I was polishing the front wheel and had it cocked a little to the right. Stood up, walked back to admire my work, and the bike fell over. Lucky I had a rubber floor mat in my garage. No damage to the bike except the stupid-looking plastic extended license holder broke. Glued it back together. Anyway, if I put the bike on the stand and turn the handlebars to the right I can watch the jiffy stand gradually move back allowing the bike to fall. Does this seem right. My last bike was a wide glide and I could cock the front wheel all the way to the right and shake the bike and it would not fall. But the Wide Glide's jiffy stand is centered on the bike. The Breakout is much more forward and I thought this might be why.

I'm not intimately familiar with the stand on a Breakout, but if it lets your bike fall over while it's sitting on a level surface like a garage floor, there is something wrong.  It shouldn't matter which direction the front tire is pointed either.  I'd suggest contacting your dealer and H-D.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

I have concerns on my jiffy stand. Each time I put it down and lean the bike over the stand wants to close (bike rolls forward) if I'm on a down grade I have to put it in first to keep it from moving. The stand opens to about 75% but it will move back to 50% if I don't drop in gear. The stand has 6100 on it

I just thought that was normal of the stand but after reading this post I think maybe not,..should the stand stay out at 75% when the bike leans on to it?

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »

I watched the video and it is in compliance with the procedures in the service manual.  So I decided to check the stand on my '12 cuse7 thinking it was most likely in need of lubrication as it makes a little 'pop' sound when deployed and when retracted.  Well what I found is that the bolt was barely finger tight.  Yikes!  Needless to say I removed everything, cleaned and lubricated it and now it functions as smoothly as silk. 

So check your stand - the tightness of the bolt at the very least.   :2vrolijk_21:

X2 on what he said. I have 3 bikes, all FLH models, and two of them had bolts that were only finger tight. This PM will be added to my annual routines for sure.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

cvo 2012 rootbeer

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

I all my years knock on wood have I replacer a kick stand

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

I often wonder if anyone other than me actually takes the jiffy stand apart, cleans and inspects the pivot, lubricates everything with grease, and puts it back together.  It's on the service checklists, but somehow I doubt many dealerships ever do it.  The pivot is pretty wide open, so crap can and does make it's way in where it can cause sticking and wear.  It can also lead to the stand not moving completely to the fully extended position without assistance from your foot, and failure to get it completely extended will lead to the "dropping the bike" issue.

Btw, the tendency may be to just shoot some aerosol lube into the opening instead of actually disassembling everything.  While better than nothing, it's not the best method.

My friend is a tech at a dealership and he tells me all the crap the tech do. He told me that they don't lube the jiffy stand according to the book, they spray lube in it and in a week or so it starts to squeak and not move freely.

Jerry

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »

just got bike service and was told the jiffy stand was no good at 4500mi is that about right. the cost is on me!!!
Holy @#$%, My stands have never failed and some have had 70 thousand miles on them, they are built like a bank vault, did they offer you the damaged part? I would love to see a picture.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »

I have an odd issue with the jiffy stand on my 2010 that will require replacing it and I wonder if anyone else has run ito this particular failure.
(for the record, there's no warranty in place; the bike has 25K miles)

The problem with mine is the toe tab that is welded onto the end of the stand. This is the piece that you catch with the sole of your boot to put the stand either out or in. That tab for some reason is *soft* on my Ultra. (note that my ancient Road King has never had this problem) Whenever I use the stand,  the pressure of my foot on it bends the tab down such that it is parallel to the ground when the bike is parked. The tab is supposed to stand up at about a 45* angle. The designed angle matches the profile of the outer primary when the stand is stowed, keeping it tucked close to the bike. The way mine is bent means that when riding it sticks down toward the ground like a curb feeler and it drags all the time. The end of the tab has been ground away a lot.
I can only guess that the heat treating or the cooling after welding was done wrong. I can readily bend the tab up by hand while parked but, of course, it flattens the next time I use it, no matter how careful I might be. Has anyone else had this issue?
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »

I have an odd issue with the jiffy stand on my 2010 that will require replacing it and I wonder if anyone else has run ito this particular failure.
(for the record, there's no warranty in place; the bike has 25K miles)

The problem with mine is the toe tab that is welded onto the end of the stand. This is the piece that you catch with the sole of your boot to put the stand either out or in. That tab for some reason is *soft* on my Ultra. (note that my ancient Road King has never had this problem) Whenever I use the stand,  the pressure of my foot on it bends the tab down such that it is parallel to the ground when the bike is parked. The tab is supposed to stand up at about a 45* angle. The designed angle matches the profile of the outer primary when the stand is stowed, keeping it tucked close to the bike. The way mine is bent means that when riding it sticks down toward the ground like a curb feeler and it drags all the time. The end of the tab has been ground away a lot.
I can only guess that the heat treating or the cooling after welding was done wrong. I can readily bend the tab up by hand while parked but, of course, it flattens the next time I use it, no matter how careful I might be. Has anyone else had this issue?

:confused5: That's a new one on me.  Since this is a 2010 with 25k miles, I have to ask if this has been going on since day one or did it just recently get worse?  If it was that way originally and you had taken it to the dealer and complained, I wonder what kind of story you would have heard?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

as easy as it is to replace, I would rather carry an extra spring vs a bunch of bungee cords.

I know what you say about being easy......but if you are on the road and by yourself....you would have to find away to prop the bike up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »

I know what you say about being easy......but if you are on the road and by yourself....you would have to find away to prop the bike up.

Another good reason to install a center stand!  I love mine, and when confronted with having to remove it in order to use the new S&S cross under exhaust system for the pre-2009 bikes, I cancelled my plans to install the new exhaust rather than remove the stand. 

Btw, bungee cords in various lengths aren't a bad idea as part of a road repair kit, along with zip ties and some of that 200 mph duct tape NASCAR teams use to put their stuff back together all the time. ;)

Jerry

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

:confused5: That's a new one on me.  Since this is a 2010 with 25k miles, I have to ask if this has been going on since day one or did it just recently get worse?  If it was that way originally and you had taken it to the dealer and complained, I wonder what kind of story you would have heard? Jerry

I bought this bike two years ago and rescued it from its "Garage Queen" existence....with 3000 miles on it. The P.O. who never rode it, never noticed it , of course.
I noticed it being slightly bent when I got it and it gradually bent more and seemed to get softer with use. I have no doubt that it has been weak since new. I will bend it back up every once in a while because the noise is frustrating when it scrapes while riding slowly and others in the group think I must be doing something really stupid to "drag a board" in that situation. It SOUNDS just like dragging a board.
I talked with my friend who is the (20-yrs) HD parts guy and he found a supercession on the part number (-07 to -07a) but he's never heard of the issue.

2010FLHTCUSE5

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »

just got bike service and was told the jiffy stand was no good at 4500mi is that about right. the cost is on me!!!

BTW: I would be very interested in just exactly what they claim is wrong with yours and depending on what the failure is, possibly buying  it to offset your expense.

I would also like to know what the 'specification" is for bike movement on the stand.

2010FLHTCUSE5

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »

As a follow up, I was curious if anyone has installed the EZBrake kick stand kit (link on this thread) and if it’s worthwhile…

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

jiffy stand
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »

Talked with the dealer and learned that the original part # had been superceded to 50075-07A at some point and that the number is good all the way to 2015.
I took a couple of pics while there.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:12:11 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.