Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Roughly 450 nonunion workers in York continue to work  (Read 3608 times)

Bagger

Re: Roughly 450 nonunion workers in York continue to work
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »

If I was waiting on one, I would hope that it wasn't built by someone who had to move down from management to put bikes together :nervous: :nervous:

The CVO's are assembled by a couple of people all the way down the line, so I wouldn't want somebody who probably hasn't turned a wrench in years, if ever, putting my bike together.

Dat's my point!  Just like I'd want some body doing some QA on me if I went back to bending wrenches on aircraft.  I haven't done it in so long..........my work would need some QA, let alone require it.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »

Tony,
   You could probably head up to the picket lines with a box a donuts and find someone there who would tell you if there are any B/O bikes on the dock ready to ship when the strike is over.

David,
Couple more weeks of strike and $$ would probably work much better than donuts ;)
TC

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »

If I was waiting on one, I would hope that it wasn't built by someone who had to move down from management to put bikes together :nervous: :nervous:

The CVO's are assembled by a couple of people all the way down the line, so I wouldn't want somebody who probably hasn't turned a wrench in years, if ever, putting my bike together.

took delivery of my serk day after thanksgiving, had 2 different exhaust tips.  stood out like a sore thumb.  management couldn't do any worse.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »

:soapbox:

Um...gosh, you complain about quality on the site.  The union folks are the one that have been building them.  Why not do away with them?  Quality has been bad (according to posts on here) I vote to let the folks that engineer them and design them to do the work!!!  Maybe some things will change for the better and maybe there will be some CARE that goes into the process and things will improve? 

Let's see...the company wants the union workers contribute to pay "something" towards their healthcare.  HELLO...have you seen what the healthcare has done lately?  Maybe if folks have to pay a little out of their own pockets, they wont run to the emergency room next time they get a cough.  HONEST STORY HERE:  I was standing next to an XYZunion worker when a rolling cart moved and bumped her on the heal.  I don't think it could have squashed a grape if you put it between the cart and the wall with the speed this thing was traveling.  No skin tear, no redness, just a bump...Do you know there were approx. 10 union folks around her and the steward TOLD her to go to the emergency room to have it checked out.  PLEASE....

Starting wage is what $22/hr NOW for someone walking in the door.  Everyone that is already hired wont lose a thing.  It's the NEW employees that will walk in making a mere, poor, measly $18/hr.  They could go down and flip burgers if they thought that was too little money?  Not bad for someone that may only have a high school diploma eh?  There are a lot of college graduates that don't make that much! 

Where do folks get off thinking the company that employs them ows them something????  Sorry, but that's NOT how it works.  You get a paychek for putting in hours worked when you're "hourly".  If they wanted stock options or bonuses based on the company earnings then they should have applied for a managment job....

The company ows them a paycheck.  Nothing more.  So what if the doors are locked one day at York?  I suppose the employees will be there saying "you can't do that...you owe us our jobs?" 

So much for your freedom right???  The Union tells you when to strike and what to accept as a contract.  But what if you really NEED the money?  Sorry dude...you're a scab if you cross. 

Come back to reality please.  Ok...I'm done now.   :soapbox:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:05:47 PM by sooiee »
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »

Always strikes me a crazy when they post record profit while taking wages, pension, and health care away from the people that make them all that money.  What ever happened to share the wealth. :soapbox:

I might be wrong but looking at the demographics of York Pa where the plant is located the average income per capita is $21500 per year ...now from what I can see by what Ive read on the net the average income for a Harley employee in the York plant is about $40000.00 per year ....now it seems to me that Harley is paying their employees well above average for the area + benifits  ...so it appears they ARE "sharing" the wealth  ....considering the employee has no risk involved ...nothing invested in the company but their time and skill (and Harley most likely trained them) ...I think they employee has to remember they are not Partners (unless they are share holders) and actually have a pretty damn good gig ..... JMHO for what its worth

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 08:18:11 PM »

Didn't want to quote the whole post for only one sentence, but a couple posts up was the statement that maybe if they pay a little for their healthcare they won't run to the ER every time they cough - - -- or words to that effect. You know, this is a pet peeve of mine as well. Seems like the people I've known in my life who were on public assistance ran off to the ER about every little thing. There might just be something to that little piece of logic. I pay $90 a month toward my healthcare plan. I have 10% copay to a max out of pocket of $1,200 for me and $2,000 for the wife and I total. In an average year I spend about $2,000 total on healthcare. I think that's pretty damn cheap for a guy who's spent as much time as I have in hospitals. I don't have one single complaint about my healthcare even though 26 years ago when I started, everything was free. Times change, the economics of business changes. Unions don't, I know I was in one for a long time. These folks on strike need to wake up and smell the coffee and come to understand that in the 21'st century, the job is the perk. Anything you get in way of benefits is gravy and should be appreciated. I could go off in a dozen directions with this, but what I've said here is enough

Just my $0.02.

B B
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.