Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reverse Gear  (Read 3295 times)

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
Reverse Gear
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »

Hi I've got an FLHTCUSE4 and thinking of getting a reverse. Baker appear to be the best, but also the most expensive.

Baker uses electronics to stop you going into forward and reverse at the same time, do any of the other kits have that - the used to have some form of break off tab on the cheaper kits.

Any advice - I'm in the UK and currently been quoted $7,500 to fit a Baker system!

Jon

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Reverse Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »

Yikes - that's more than double what that would cost in the states with purchase and installation Jon. I have the Baker version and would recommend it, although your synopsis is correct - the F6R is the most costly. The solenoid lock out works well and mine has been trouble free. I think you should check around to learn if you can get this installed for less money elsewhere - that seems excessive. You may consider contacting Baker directly for shops they are familiar with in your area. If you have any questions about the F6R PM me...

Kirk

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »

I've emailed Baker to see what they say.

Any views on the other kits like MMD?

In the past when I researched all the others, you could engage forward and reverse at the same time and they had some form of sacrificial tab on a gear if you did this. That doesn't seem the greatest piece of engineering. I think the Baker system stops you putting it into first and reverse st the same time?

Jon

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »

Any views on the other kits like MMD?

I didn't want to shift reaching down by the engine - not sure if that's how MMD does it or not. I know others on the forum use a different system than Baker and are okay with their installation, so hopefully you'll get some feedback. The issue of possibly engaging reverse without wishing to or having gear confusion is a real consideration and one the Baker system eliminates with a solenoid lock out system. Once reverse is engaged by clutching and pushing down on a toggle switch (or dash mounted switch depending on your set up) it will stay there until you clutch/shift into first. It's a good fail safe and works well. I use a Baker handlebar mounted toggle switch on the throttle side - it's a chrome mounting and looks nice.

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:19:43 AM »

Thinking the same 👍

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »

I have this unit:

Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse with Electronic Cut-Off Switch - Hydraulic Clutch MTTR-0123

It works well when needed.  The only issue I have is I get a little gear crash due to the transmission is still moving.  But no adverse issues at this time.  About $1400 + install

David

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »

Here's another option that someone posted on FB yesterday in one of the Harley groups. I know nothing about this product other than it's more expensive than the Baker version.

https://www.yelvingtonusa.com/products/mechanical-reverse
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »

Here's another option that someone posted on FB yesterday in one of the Harley groups. I know nothing about this product other than it's more expensive than the Baker version.

https://www.yelvingtonusa.com/products/mechanical-reverse
That's interesting. Hadn't seen one like that before. Wondering what the installation cost is compared to others--couldn't find any install info on their site.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:21:04 PM »

I've e-mailed them several times about the reversing rear sprocket and have not had one return reply.  I gave up.

It look like a great idea, but with all the internal planetary gearing, it may not hold up as well as they hoped.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »

That's interesting. Hadn't seen one like that before. Wondering what the installation cost is compared to others--couldn't find any install info on their site.
On Facebook they were saying two hours if I recall correctly.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »

somehow there is confusion here - baker does NOT use electronics to prevent first and reverse at the same time. baker installs reverse in the trans and adds a shift fork to a NEW drum. one down past first is reverse. the solenoid is to prevent putting it in reverse unintentionally - some folks [me included] will prod first a couple of times at a stop light ... a baker trans would go in reverse without the solenoid.

the other reverse systems have reverse on a different shifter and you have to put the main transmission in neutral and then engage the separate reverse shifter. you could engage the reverse in any gear and break something.

thats the real difference. add on reverse tranny with two shifters - or ONE shifter drum with one shifter.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »

Hi Jon
I am in Essex and have been looking at the Baker Reverse gear set also, look on online (EBAY etc) you should find what your looking for,
just seen F6R kit for £1,150 plus £55 shipping and would be about £240 VAT to pay on that so total £1450, and its a day to install so a good independent dealer about £750 labour charge, so in total about £2200-£2500 max.
WHUFC   COYI

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »

Hi Jon
I am in Essex and have been looking at the Baker Reverse gear set also, look on online (EBAY etc) you should find what your looking for,
just seen F6R kit for £1,150 plus £55 shipping and would be about £240 VAT to pay on that so total £1450, and its a day to install so a good independent dealer about £750 labour charge, so in total about £2200-£2500 max.

That's what I thought, probably want the extra bits - rear facing solenoid chrome and handlebar actuator adds about $300.  Trying to find someone up here in Cumbria who could do it..

Thanks

Jon

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »

Hi Jon,

Did you get the Baker F6R?

Just got one direct from Baker, with rear facing solenoid and chrome handlebar switch, its a great piece of kit, cost including shipping and tax's came to £1900,  if yours has a Hydraulic clutch you will need to order a new Hydraulic line, Also you may wish to fit the high capacity inner primary bearing kit from baker.

Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, so I can start with the install, will be getting help with pressing the 5th gear off the old shaft and on to the new one, apart from that will be doing the rest myself.

Message me if you want any further info.

Trippy.
WHUFC   COYI

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 01:35:57 AM »

Yep, got it fitted by a chap in Wales.

Jon

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.