Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching out exhaust pipes and noticed ...  (Read 1302 times)

Blue Rock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ
Switching out exhaust pipes and noticed ...
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:05:40 AM »

2007 Softail Springer CVO 110 engine. Just bought the bike and the sales guy decided that he could include a set of Vance and Hines Big Radius into the loan. Anyway, removed the exhaust pipes which was a first for me. Only problem I had was a Oxygen Sensor in the front that would not come off. Please guys if you ever install a set pipes please use anti-seize lube. Once I removed everything I noticed that the front cylinder exhaust port had a lot more carbon build up than the back one. Is this normal? If not how can i fix it? To be honest I expected a lot more power from a 110 that supposedly had been race tuned. Another thing that I found strange was that the bolts holding the exhaust pipe onto the engine were not tight at all, very easy to remove. Any help will be appreciated. Bike has just shy of 21,000 miles on it and it looks great! Just hope I don't have to spend any more money on it.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Re: Switching out exhaust pipes and noticed ...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »

2007 Softail Springer CVO 110 engine. Just bought the bike and the sales guy decided that he could include a set of Vance and Hines Big Radius into the loan. Anyway, removed the exhaust pipes which was a first for me. Only problem I had was a Oxygen Sensor in the front that would not come off. Please guys if you ever install a set pipes please use anti-seize lube. Once I removed everything I noticed that the front cylinder exhaust port had a lot more carbon build up than the back one. Is this normal? If not how can i fix it? To be honest I expected a lot more power from a 110 that supposedly had been race tuned. Another thing that I found strange was that the bolts holding the exhaust pipe onto the engine were not tight at all, very easy to remove. Any help will be appreciated. Bike has just shy of 21,000 miles on it and it looks great! Just hope I don't have to spend any more money on it.

Only way to really cure that problem is...Get a GOOD professional tune. There is no substitute!!..none of the magic boxes will really do the job, they are just band-aids, Invest the money and get it done correctly. You'll be much happier, now if you extrapolate that over the miles ridden...cost is minimal. That 's how I justify spending money on anything I own ...All good!! Enjoy your ride!!   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Switching out exhaust pipes and noticed ...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »

The exhaust to head connection only calls for 10 ft-lb of torque, so those nuts shouldn't be extremely tight.  As for the carbon buildup, see if you can determine if it's fuel related or oil consumption related.  Dry fluffy looking deposits are usually fuel, wet shiny deposits are usually from oil.  The 2007 CVO110's had many issues with oil control, and those engines also had a tendency to build up carbon due to the combustion chamber design.

Don't assume just because the previous owner had a SE Pro Super Tuner that the bike was properly tuned.  Many dealerships sold those things and did nothing more than load one of Harley's canned maps, or they claimed to do a dyno tune but really just used the canned map and made a few runs on the dyno. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.