Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Paint protection coating  (Read 7873 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
Re: Paint protection coating
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »

Will this product protect my rear fender if I put a pillion pad back on? I changed to a solo seat but I'm planning on a trip and will put my stock seat with pad on so I can carry a travel bag on my rear fender. Need something to protect the paint for a three day trip; afterwards I'll put my solo seat back on.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »

Will this product protect my rear fender if I put a pillion pad back on? I changed to a solo seat but I'm planning on a trip and will put my stock seat with pad on so I can carry a travel bag on my rear fender. Need something to protect the paint for a three day trip; afterwards I'll put my solo seat back on.

No.  The subject of this thread is similar to a wax job, and no wax job, no matter what the claimed ingredients might be, is going to protect against rubbing from a pillion or anything else.  What you need is one of the thick clear protective films often used to protect saddlebag lids, fairings, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »

No.  The subject of this thread is similar to a wax job, and no wax job, no matter what the claimed ingredients might be, is going to protect against rubbing from a pillion or anything else.  What you need is one of the thick clear protective films often used to protect saddlebag lids, fairings, etc.

Jerry
CORRECT!!!

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:58 AM »

I used to switch back and forth between solo and then adding a pillion for whenever I had a passenger on a Road King that I used to have.  As the others have said, go online and search for the clear plastic film.  There was a clear plastic film that I got off of the net.  You just cut it to the size you want and put it on.  Peels off and you can use it over and over.  I can't remember the name of it and it came in a couple of big sheets.  I put this under the pillion when I had it on.  I would also put a mouse pad under the pillion.  Worked for me.

Eazily9

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »

Seen this... Very interesting.

https://topcoat.store/pages/getf11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenncarp

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I am what some would say anal when it comes to the condition of mine and my wife's bikes. They are always kept maticulicely clean and waxed regularly, the reason for considering this is for ease of cleaning and hopefully to reduce scratches and/or swirl marks. I do however understand that there are no guarantees and that the statements made by the products are taken with a grain of salt.

I don't look in this category often, quite honestly, I don't understand the idea of keeping your bike immaculate. So, I clean it and wax it and shine the rims and tires. She looks awesome in my garage or driveway, but then I take her 4 miles to a bike night or a beer and......She is dirty again!!!

I am of the opinion that life is too stressful and too busy and too short to stress over how clean my bike is. I am fortunate to put 5,000 to 8,000 miles a year on my bike. I take the bags and side covers off once a month to get the hidden grit and I wipe her down if I get caught in rain or rode many miles, but my bike is my Yoga (sold that one to the wife years ago so she knows why I need to ride weekly) I am not about to let water marks or grime ruin my chi  :P

Eazily9

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »

I don't look in this category often, quite honestly, I don't understand the idea of keeping your bike immaculate. So, I clean it and wax it and shine the rims and tires. She looks awesome in my garage or driveway, but then I take her 4 miles to a bike night or a beer and......She is dirty again!!!

I am of the opinion that life is too stressful and too busy and too short to stress over how clean my bike is. I am fortunate to put 5,000 to 8,000 miles a year on my bike. I take the bags and side covers off once a month to get the hidden grit and I wipe her down if I get caught in rain or rode many miles, but my bike is my Yoga (sold that one to the wife years ago so she knows why I need to ride weekly) I am not about to let water marks or grime ruin my chi  :P
Understand your outlook totally. As for me I enjoy the process of cleaning and polishing to the ultimate shine I can achieve and whatever product helps me achieve that satisfaction I'm all in. You probably don't believe in making your bed everyday either, huh? Lol!!

Glenncarp

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

Understand your outlook totally. As for me I enjoy the process of cleaning and polishing to the ultimate shine I can achieve and whatever product helps me achieve that satisfaction I'm all in. You probably don't believe in making your bed everyday either, huh? Lol!!

The wife makes the bed. I just cant talk her into waxing the bike yet. Lol

Eazily9

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

The wife makes the bed. I just cant talk her into waxing the bike yet. Lol

GPS HD Dan

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO Ultra
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Ltd
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

I use a small section of 3m clear where the pillion will touch the fender and then remove after a trip.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.