Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag Amp Heat  (Read 2871 times)

el Cadar

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
Saddlebag Amp Heat
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

I have been searching all over and have had zero luck in finding a solution so here goes: I bought the bike with the TourPak already relocated to the right saddlebag and am considering buying saddlebag luggage and was curious if anyone has had issues with the amp heating up the bags to the point of melting?  Thanks in advance!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Saddlebag Amp Heat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »

I assume you meant the amp under the TP was relocated to a saddlebag.  I've heard of a few people doing that when they converted the TP to a quick release setup, but never heard one way or the other about the heat factor.  Those amps aren't exactly compact, and they were meant to be mounted where air can flow around them.  I would think cramming one in a saddlebag with no air flow would be a good way to shorten the life of the amp, even if it didn't melt anything.  If you further confine the amp by adding a liner or "luggage", I can't see where that would be a good thing.  However, the best way to tell if you're going to have a problem is to mount one or more temperature probes and monitor the temps while running the amp hard with the bag sealed up.  I'd check the temp of the actual amp and the temp of the interior of the bag and lid.

If it were me, I'd look at a better aftermarket amp mounted in the fairing and reclaim that lost space in the saddlebag.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

el Cadar

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »

Hey thanks for the reply Jerry.  This is my first ride with all the cool accessories.  Kind of a super-cool everything overload!  My thought was to not over stuff the saddlebag too much and ride it out until I needed to replace the audio system.

Thanks again!
Brian

11UltraSE6

• 2011.5 SEUC

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »

My amp is also in the saddle bag. It gets extremely hot. Almost too hot to touch. I only put a few things in that saddle bag.
Combat Veterans of America MC

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »

My SG came with the amp in the saddlebag.  Now you've got me thinking I need to check the temperature.  I tend to ride with gloves, a bag of sunglasses/clearlenses and a jacket all stuffed in that saddlebag. 
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »

Got the same and never noticed any issues. Nothing ever got burned or melted or anything. And that's wifeys side, so I would have definitely heard about it if something happened.

el Cadar

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

I rode to and from work today (70 miles each way) and the amp was warm but not hot enough to burn anything.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.