Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: LED "Daymaker" LIKE Road Glide LED Headlight Assy Install  (Read 5634 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: LED "Daymaker" LIKE Road Glide LED Headlight Assy Install
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »

Couldn't use the original adjuster screws?  On mine they were the same size ball head.

I tried that and wasn't happy with the fit. I guess with some bending and filing it would be ok, but at that point I said screw it. "Item not as described, damaged parts, poorly designed adjusters"  :deal2:...its going back.
Thanks to Dan, I ordered from his vendor and its on its way. Its been raining and snowing locally here in SoCal lately so have been tinkering with the other bike stuff that's been ignored for a while and then its going to get Glared for a whole day. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 11:29:15 AM »

I tried that and wasn't happy with the fit. I guess with some bending and filing it would be ok, but at that point I said screw it. "Item not as described, damaged parts, poorly designed adjusters"  :deal2:...its going back.
Thanks to Dan, I ordered from his vendor and its on its way. Its been raining and snowing locally here in SoCal lately so have been tinkering with the other bike stuff that's been ignored for a while and then its going to get Glared for a whole day.

I would say out of all the concerns I had with mine were also the ball adjusters, although mine were hex on the end.  These headlights do fit into the fairing completely different than the original and the gaps you had are way different than the new LED setup.  The instructions left a LOT to be desired, but maybe my pictures can help out a bit.  I wanted to reuse my original bezel, but it does not fit the new LED housings.  I'm not sure I could ever get the new bezel to come off, it snapped on very hard.

As Don has said, these are not perfect like maybe the Harley Daymaker's, but I am VERY happy with mine and it looks and works great.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Oh, the plastic comb thing that comes with the kit, I had no idea where to put it, so it stayed in the garage of spare parts... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Oh, the plastic comb thing that comes with the kit, I had no idea where to put it, so it stayed in the garage of spare parts... :)

As some of you know I never back away from a project as in installing vents on my stock 00 SERG lowers, and a frame up rebuild on a "Rat Bushtec", I'm all over it. I did enjoy researching all about the EU and USA versions, red wires and different models for different year RG's since its been cold and raining in SoCal the last few days. With the adjuster screws being engineered wrong, I figured what else could go wrong so done back to the seller.
Thanks for the photos and link they helped a lot. The comb thingy was on a YouTube video I saw somewhere and was to protect the wires from the heat, screws on the left side of the unit, and after that ??
Looking forward to completing this install.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »

...must be some wires that need protecting in back of the left headlight. Here is the video and description for the Harness Protector at 3:10/7:47

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 05:57:08 PM »

Just got the new "Dan" version and what a difference !  They included the instructions from the OEM Harley DayMakers which at least give you a clue where everything goes. Going to have lights soon.  :orange:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »

Dan
Is this what you mean about the bezel ?   Seems like there is a lot of space on the top between the headlight and bezel.

Lou

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »

Dan
Is this what you mean about the bezel ?   Seems like there is a lot of space on the top between the headlight and bezel.

Lou

Mine is not at all like that.  The pieces fit together simply as one would expect and cover what you'd expect them to.  You can't reuse the original bezel.  Must use the one that came with the headlight.  Any chance you got them swapped?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »

Nothing in the garage to mix up, sent the other one back to the seller. I'd like to just use my old cover, but I guessing it would run too hot. Send me a pic of what yours looks like, maybe they sent me the wrong bezel.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »

Got this from the sellers description. Looks about what I have at this point.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:30 AM »

Rode it for awhile this afternoon.  Dead bugs happen....

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

Yours looks like a better fit, less gap at the top. Do they run too hot for our original plastic cover ? I haven't popped in the bezel yet and maybe the gap will be less then.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »

Yours looks like a better fit, less gap at the top. Do they run too hot for our original plastic cover ? I haven't popped in the bezel yet and maybe the gap will be less then.

Less heat than HID.  If I remember correctly with the new bezel and light you can't use the outer cover though.  Not even if you wanted to.  I'd not had the outer cover on mine for years though.  Lost it when I started using the European reflector with its better pattern than the US version.  It didn't use the outer cover either.  I prefer the look without the outer cover.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »

Less heat than HID.  If I remember correctly with the new bezel and light you can't use the outer cover though.  Not even if you wanted to.  I'd not had the outer cover on mine for years though.  Lost it when I started using the European reflector with its better pattern than the US version.  It didn't use the outer cover either.  I prefer the look without the outer cover.

I understand its either one or the other snapping into those four slots. If heat isn't an issue I'd kind of like the cover over the bezel, looks like it might protect the inner fairing and electronics inside from moisture. If its just a matter of looks, I'm going to try the cover for a little while and see what happens. What could go wrong  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »

I understand its either one or the other snapping into those four slots. If heat isn't an issue I'd kind of like the cover over the bezel, looks like it might protect the inner fairing and electronics inside from moisture. If its just a matter of looks, I'm going to try the cover for a little while and see what happens. What could go wrong  :nixweiss:

On the old lights the cover was there to protect more expensive and more difficult to replace light housing from road hazards.  Newer lights and better materials and the light housings stand up much better. 

Still vividly remember when I put the Euro housing in my bike some years ago and didn't need the outer cover anymore.  To my eyes the bike looked much more dated with the cover than without.  Sort of like me in skinny jeans; ten years younger!!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »

On the old lights the cover was there to protect more expensive and more difficult to replace light housing from road hazards.  Newer lights and better materials and the light housings stand up much better. 

Still vividly remember when I put the Euro housing in my bike some years ago and didn't need the outer cover anymore.  To my eyes the bike looked much more dated with the cover than without.  Sort of like me in skinny jeans; ten years younger!!

I'm liking the old look, but will keep the new bezel around for when the outer cover finally falls off or melts, what could go wrong  :nixweiss:
If anyone is reading this besides us, lesson learned is spend the extra bucks and get the Dan version with proper installation hardware and no extra wires. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.