Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: What windshield??  (Read 3165 times)

Rustybiker

• $20,000.00 and 20 Miles doesn't make you a biker
What windshield??
« on: February 22, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »

I think the stock windshield is fine to barhop or a day runner, but for cold weather or a long trip, it sucks. I know I am not the only one. What is everone doing for a taller windshield?

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
Re: What windshield??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:09:56 PM »

Rusty,

I think everyone with a new SERK has come to that conclusion.

I bought a used standard road king windshield to put on the bike when I picked it up, and have since put on a Clearview windshield.  The Clearivew product is VERY nice.  It is not only functional, but the tinted shields looks great too.  I ordered the standard height road king windshield ('cause I'm a standard 5'9") but you can order custom heights if want. 

And if thats not enough of a sales pitch, you also get a CVOharley.com discount.   :2vrolijk_21:

You can use the search feature and find several threads on Clearview and windsheilds in general.

I am sure Howie would give you his report card on Clearview, but he is still waiting on his.   :P  I'm sorry...I shouldn't have said that.  I will punish myself by turning off the computer and going riding.  :coolblue:

Later,
Ghost

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:18:42 PM »

I think the stock windshield is fine to barhop or a day runner, but for cold weather or a long trip, it sucks. I know I am not the only one. What is everone doing for a taller windshield?

Rusty...I don't have a RK, but the Clearview is the best damn windshield you'll ever own..no if's, and's, or but's. Would have nothing else on my Ultra...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

I have to agree with the previous posts to go with the Clearview, just be sure to order it with the holes drilled using a their 7-hole template if you plan on using the stock bracket.

Gregg

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »

Clearview with the lip at the top, seems to add an inch or two in height. Although the chopped, tinted windshield is probably one of the best looking, it barely keeps the bugs off your chest. :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »

Be the only guy around with this Genuine Harley-Davidson Windshield with special engraved frame
This Windshield has been discontinued from the MoCo for almost 9 years, fits Road Kings

Make a reasonable offer

jeffj

sorry pic is not the best

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:45 PM »

hey,, I believe I saw that pic on ebay a while back.

I use a memphis shades that I had on my 05 RKCustom.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »

Standard sized RK windshield works nicely and you can find them easily....there is one in the for sale area that is relatively new for only $50 + shipping.   The style that JeffJ posted above is becoming a rare item indeed and has a great look that you really might consider. 

The Clearview replacements are better performing over any of the stock units.  I will be upgrading to one sometime myself...just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »

Hey Rusty, Depending on your height, HD makes a completely assembled windshield with all the hardware. You can swap from one to another. I'm 5-9 and got the new mid-low profile and it's perfect. They have 4 heights. I also ordered the Clearview to replace the Lexan in the HD. The HD W/S ass'y. is about $250 after 20% disc. You really need that frame to mount a windshield bag too. ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 01:09:13 AM »

Be the only guy around with this Genuine Harley-Davidson Windshield with special engraved frame
This Windshield has been discontinued from the MoCo for almost 9 years, fits Road Kings

Make a reasonable offer

jeffj

sorry pic is not the best

Jeff, I forwarded this info to a Road King riding buddy.  He wants to know if $100 is "reasonable."  If so let me know and he or I will get you paid ASAP. If not, remember, I'm just the messenger.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 01:32:29 AM »

Jeff, I forwarded this info to a Road King riding buddy.  He wants to know if $100 is "reasonable."  If so let me know and he or I will get you paid ASAP. If not, remember, I'm just the messenger.

Uh-Oh, third party! :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »

Uh-Oh, third party! :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)

Oh chit, Howie, I wonder if that voids the..... um... the wa... the you know what?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »

Oh chit, Howie, I wonder if that voids the..... um... the wa... the you know what?

Watch it 2ln. You buckin' for Double Secret Probation?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 02:44:35 AM »

Watch it 2ln. You buckin' for Double Secret Probation?

Aw, he does that standing on his head now! ;) Hoist! 8)

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »

3rd party??????????

how come we weren't invited to the first two??? :nixweiss:

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Rustybiker

• $20,000.00 and 20 Miles doesn't make you a biker
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »

Thanks for all of your help. It appears that the Clearview it the way to go. It is a blessing to have friends to help you out and give advice from experience.   :drink:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 10:40:45 AM »

Thanks for all of your help. It appears that the Clearview it the way to go. It is a blessing to have friends to help you out and give advice from experience.   :drink:

Rusty, don't forget to consider the W/S frame/hardware. The Windscreen that comes stock, uses a 7 bolt-hole pattern on the main horizontal support. The standard Windshields us a 5 bolt-hole frame. If you want to use your original frame and swap the lexan, you must order a 7-hole windshield. If you buy a new complete windshield, assembly it will be a 5-hole frame. Order the Clearview accordingly. I have both. It's nice to have a complete spare instead of just spare lexan. Just making sure you're aware that there are 2 different types. ;) Hoist! 8)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »

Don,

I think I will  pass on the $100 offer

Not sure I will ever buy another Road King but if I do I will still have the WS

Appreciate you being a messenger and letting other people know about it

jeffj

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »

Welcome Rusty.  I agree.  It's great if you're going to just pop into town or want to make that quick jaunt to the dealer.  If you're looking to keep bugs off ya, wind or road debris...no, it's not the one.  That's why it's called a "wind deflector" is because it deflects everything right into your face at highway speeds. 

Good Luck
sooiee
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.