Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MyRoute-App GPX software is listening to us...  (Read 5344 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
MyRoute-App GPX software is listening to us...
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »

Many of you may know that there are several of us on the forum who are using MyRoute-App or Tyre as our route generating software for both the 2014-2017 Infotainment system and for Garmin and TomTom handlebar mounted GPS units.  You may be interested to know that I developed 17 routes using this free software for our 2017 Meet in the Middle at Eureka Springs in early June.  I have to say that in the 5 days I was there, I never heard one complaint or heard of anyone having a problem with the routes that were developed.

Before and since that GTG, I had been in contact with the people at MyRoute-App (MRA) and I have to say that for free software, they were extremely helpful and gave us plenty of guidance on using MRA with the Infotainment system.  As a matter of fact, they have now developed a file export type just for the Infotainment system that cuts out the unnecessary track information and as a result cuts about 95% of the file size out.  A route that used to be upwards of 500kb is now under 10kb, which means we can put a lot more routes on our bikes now without filling up the memory.

Here is a link to the conversation I had with Daniel, an engineer at MRA, and with Nigel from the UK.  I came in toward the bottom of page one and several back-and-forth conversations on most of page 2:
http://support.myrouteapp.com/support/discussions/topics/5000063592/page/1?url_locale=

And here is a help guide to loading routes on the Harley Infotainment system:
https://myrouteapp.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000031620-transferring-routes-to-the-harley-davidson-boombox

I have also done around 9 routes for the Maggie Valley GTG coming up in September using this software, and have put them in their own thread in case you want to see them or download them.  Most of my routes on MRA are public and can be found here:
https://www.myrouteapp.com/travelblog/routes/1003490#

I expect we haven't seen the last of MRA's help for us Harley types, and by the way, I didn't get a penny from MRA for any of this.  I just like their (free) software and the excellent service we get from them.  Something I am sad to say Harley could take some tips from.

Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: MyRoute-App GPX software is listening to us...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »

Thanks for the update and info Harry!  Your MITM routes worked well, no problems.  Glad to hear the MyApp folks are receptive to Infotainment needs.  Appreciate all your help on the I-taint & your patience with those of us like me who are being dragged into the future, scuffing our knuckles along the way.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:01:09 PM »

Thanks for the update and info Harry!  Your MITM routes worked well, no problems.  Glad to hear the MyApp folks are receptive to Infotainment needs.  Appreciate all your help on the I-taint & your patience with those of us like me who are being dragged into the future, scuffing our knuckles along the way.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

No worries, Mike!  You were part of the solution, and never a problem child!  Thanks again for all your positive comments and help along the way!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »

Have you had any issues downloading tracks to the bike?  I like to plot specific routes, and when I did that, saved as a Harley GPX 1.1 file, and tried to load into the bike it gave me a Nav System Memory Full error (it's a brand new bike with nothing saved) when I tried to save as a track (trail).  I ended up just loading into the bike as a route and it appears that it carried over my specified route as I had planned it.  We are going to ride the route tomorrow and see how it goes, but thought I would ask if anyone had experienced a similar memory error.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

Have you had any issues downloading tracks to the bike?  I like to plot specific routes, and when I did that, saved as a Harley GPX 1.1 file, and tried to load into the bike it gave me a Nav System Memory Full error (it's a brand new bike with nothing saved) when I tried to save as a track (trail).  I ended up just loading into the bike as a route and it appears that it carried over my specified route as I had planned it.  We are going to ride the route tomorrow and see how it goes, but thought I would ask if anyone had experienced a similar memory error.

To the best of my recollection, me and my "team" only had problems uploading routes to the bike if the route contained more than 64 waypoints.  In spite of what HD says, it seems like 64 WP's is the maximum the infotainment system can handle.  As a result of us finding out that magic number, I keep all my routes to less than that by a margin.  Try using 55 WP's or less in your routes.

As far as I know, our bikes will not view a Track route.  It has to be a waypoint route.  The infotainment system doesn't seem to know what to do with Tracks, much less to be able to use them.  In MyRouteApp and Tyre (it's brother program), Tracks and Routes are two different things entirely.  A route saved as either a GPX 1.0 or 1.1 route will contain both files, although you won't see the Track file on your computer or on the SD or USB card.  You will only see it after it is uploaded to your Infotainment system.  It will show as your original file name, but it will add the characters "._" at the beginning of the file name.  If you try to load that route, it will not take and may lock your system up.

MRA created the save as an "HD route" option for us that does not contain Track information, thus the saved file will contain 90% less (and needless) information.  Your memory should not be full unless there are other files on there that you don't know about.  There is a procedure for deleting those old GPX files if you find some on there.

You may also have tried to import the wrong thing?  Make sure you follow the instructions they posted in this thread:
https://myrouteapp.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000031620-transferring-routes-to-the-harley-davidson-boombox

Also, take note of the picture below.  Don't ever click on the "Select All" option.  Always click ONLY on the option below it with the two flags and the finish line flag, and don't select anything else. It should work just fine then.

If it doesn't, reply back and we'll try to help more.
Harry

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

Harry, the limit is 60 waypoints unless you have figured out something else. To get a memory full message, the user must have a butt load of saved routes and/or destinations. Unfortunately, one has to delete those one at a time.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:18:29 PM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

garyb

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »

Good information thank you.

I just started looking MRA today.  I have lots of experience with other software and this seems straightforward enough.

My question rather than transfer to a memory stick (not always easy while on a multiday ride) can the boom import from a phone connect via the USB port.  That would seem like the idea way to move the data.

Since I prefer not to carry a laptop around.  I guess hotels with guest computers could run MRA and save to a stick.  I have seen some that blocked any type of downloads.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »

Good information thank you.

I just started looking MRA today.  I have lots of experience with other software and this seems straightforward enough.

My question rather than transfer to a memory stick (not always easy while on a multiday ride) can the boom import from a phone connect via the USB port.  That would seem like the idea way to move the data.

Since I prefer not to carry a laptop around.  I guess hotels with guest computers could run MRA and save to a stick.  I have seen some that blocked any type of downloads.

You can give it a try to see.  I haven't heard of anyone else saying anything about it, but that doesn't mean it can't be done!
Harry

garyb

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

FYI I found a way to import gpx file from a cell phone.  Still with a memory stick.  A small adapter that plugs in the USB port and can receive a memory stick.  Copy the gpx to the stick, then swap to the boom.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »

So I just downloaded MRA and looked at a couple of the videos.  Made a short route but can't find how to 'drag' the route to roads I want vs roads it selected.  In MapSource and BaseCamp you can click on the route with a 'tool' and then drag it to another road.  Any way to do this in MRA or must you just add a waypoint on the road(s) you want?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »

So I just downloaded MRA and looked at a couple of the videos.  Made a short route but can't find how to 'drag' the route to roads I want vs roads it selected.  In MapSource and BaseCamp you can click on the route with a 'tool' and then drag it to another road.  Any way to do this in MRA or must you just add a waypoint on the road(s) you want?

You can drag a route to a preferred road by hovering over the existing route at which point a circle appears, then left click and drag that circle to the road you prefer. As a reminder, it's always a good idea to create a waypoint at the major turns to ensure the Infotainment (or other GPS) system doesn't route you by it's defaults. And despite what is stated in the Infotainment System User Manual (and subsequent software releases), the maximum number of waypoints in a single route is 60 - anything higher freezes up the system.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »

You can drag a route to a preferred road by hovering over the existing route at which point a circle appears, then left click and drag that circle to the road you prefer. As a reminder, it's always a good idea to create a waypoint at the major turns to ensure the Infotainment (or other GPS) system doesn't route you by it's defaults. And despite what is stated in the Infotainment System User Manual (and subsequent software releases), the maximum number of waypoints in a single route is 60 - anything higher freezes up the system.
K.  Thanks.  Guess I did not let the cursor hover over the route line long enough.

What you referred to - having to create a waypoint at major turns in exactly why I abandoned the BoomBox gps.  And it doesn't have to be a major turn . . . heck any ole turn will do.  I found the BoomBox gps will short cut you diagonally to the road on your upcoming turn if it can . . . and some of those short cuts aren't much more than a cow path, lol.  Now I've had it happen a few, but very, very few times with my various Garmin gps's.  But generally I don't have to worry that much about waypoints at turns.  I find that the Garmin gps will very faithfully follow the same route that was shown on my computer created in either MapSource or BaseCamp.

Interested to see how my Garmin does with route(s) created in MRA.

IBA member # 45520

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »

I found the BoomBox gps will short cut you diagonally to the road on your upcoming turn if it can . . . and some of those short cuts aren't much more than a cow path, lol.

Make sure the BoomBox is set to Fastest not Shortest route and it should solve that problem.  I've used MyRoute for a year now and have not had a problem with exporting to BoomBox and it short cutting my routes.  I did have it make the route longer once, only because I should have had one more way point on my route as it sent me on a bypass instead of through a city.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:45:33 PM »

Make sure the BoomBox is set to Fastest not Shortest route and it should solve that problem.  I've used MyRoute for a year now and have not had a problem with exporting to BoomBox and it short cutting my routes.  I did have it make the route longer once, only because I should have had one more way point on my route as it sent me on a bypass instead of through a city.
It is definitely set on faster time. First thing I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA member # 45520

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »

Keep your Q & A's coming for MyRoute as I am finding them very informative as I move from Ride Planner to it.  I have several major group trips I have to plan this year and Ride Planner is so over with me.
Q- Are you finding the free version is meeting all your needs?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.