Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Sell me on a RG over a SG  (Read 4372 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Sell me on a RG over a SG
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »

Take a good test ride. . Only you can talk yourself into what you will like better. . . Stuart

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »

I'll second, third and fourth on the test ride.  I've never had a fixed faring Harley prior to my current ride....always the bat for me.  Made the mistake of test riding the '15 SERGU and the rest is history.  I'm 5'6 and don't have any issues reaching the screen but Fred's comment on not touching the screen because of leaving fingerprints was spot on (get it?) so no touching da screen here.  I've just gotten use to the handlebar controls.  One positive is on long distance rides in high, steady cross wind, the RG doesn't wear you out as much as any of my old bat wings.  The RGU is a bit more than required in around town driving but hey, it's not hard getting used to.  I've had big bikes all my life so no worries....must be compensating for my "short" comings.... ;D
I've been very pleased with it.  Vickie has had some issues getting use to the wind as a passenger.  Seems she gets more side and head wind than on the batwing bikes.  I've had to try new windshields and installed the Kuryakyn wind deflectors to alleviate some of that (which it has).  I also installed the HD 12" premium shocks replacing the air shocks which really improved the handling.

Take a test ride and good luck on your decision.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:11:10 AM by Haird »

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »

Now if memory serves me correct the suspensions of both bikes have been updated since my 16 correct?  Second, what is that larger front wheel going to do for the RG other than appearance?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »

In 2007 I decided on a new bike. I rented a ultra classic for a week, then a road glide for a week, tried to ride every day I could. The bike of choice was easy, it sold itself.

And the winner is........TR  :orange:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »

Now if memory serves me correct the suspensions of both bikes have been updated since my 16 correct?  Second, what is that larger front wheel going to do for the RG other than appearance?

Yes.  Front suspension specifically on the '17s upgraded from the already upgraded "Rushmore" improvements from 2014.

I don't have an answer on the larger front wheel.  I'm guessing your appearance comment is correct.  Others have noted that the larger front wheel on the '18 SERG doesn't allow for installation of lowers but I have no research on that. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »

The engine guard is not the problem.
The description on the fairing lowers says that they will not work with knockout Wheels.
The description of the knockout Wheels also says that they will not work with fairing lowers.
My guess is that the 21 inch front wheel Fender hits the fairing lowers when you turn the handlebars.
The CVO Street Glide however has lowers but does not have the knockout Wheels.

Still not sure I believe the catalog, as harley has been wrong so many times on what will fit and will not.

We were looking at it yesterday.  Some at the shop believe you can change the engine guard to the regular one and ad lowers.  Some say no way. 

I have seen many road glides running 21 front wheels and lowers.  I have seen many street glides running 21 front wheels and lowers.

I doubt Harley changed the neck angle of the frame, or the triple trees on the road glide only.  I would bet they lowered the front forks one inch like most people did when running 21s to get trail and rake back close to stock.  If that what they did, I would bet lowers could be added.

As to the road glide vs street glide.  I have had two CVO road glides, a CVO road glide Ultra, and my current CVO Street glide.  I'm wanting back on a road glide.  I feel they are better out west in wind, and heavy truck traffic, and no weight shift at very slow parking lot speeds
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 07:33:57 AM »

I've had multiple Batwings and multiple Shark noses.  For me the only disadvantage of the Road Glides is riding in rain.  You cannot buy a tall enough windshield to protect your face from rain.  On a batwing you can duck behind the windshield, not so for the road glides.....
my .02 cents

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »

Still not sure I believe the catalog, as harley has been wrong so many times on what will fit and will not.

We were looking at it yesterday.  Some at the shop believe you can change the engine guard to the regular one and ad lowers.  Some say no way. 

I have seen many road glides running 21 front wheels and lowers.  I have seen many street glides running 21 front wheels and lowers.

I doubt Harley changed the neck angle of the frame, or the triple trees on the road glide only.  I would bet they lowered the front forks one inch like most people did when running 21s to get trail and rake back close to stock.  If that what they did, I would bet lowers could be added.

Dave I'm seriously contemplating joining the sharknose team especially after reading your response and seeing the color offerings, or lack thereof, on the Street Glide. Please keep us informed about the lowers for the 18 SERG. Now it's off to the dealer for a test ride as I haven't tried the Rushmore RG.

Thanks
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »

Dave I'm seriously contemplating joining the sharknose team especially after reading your response and seeing the color offerings, or lack thereof, on the Street Glide. Please keep us informed about the lowers for the 18 SERG. Now it's off to the dealer for a test ride as I haven't tried the Rushmore RG.

Thanks

I have no doubt that you can change the engine guard and add lowers.  The front is lowered one inch, neck angle is the same as all other touring bikes. 

Nice thing is with the gray, you can get the paint matched lowers from HD, as they are on the street glide also.  The other two colors are not the same as the street glide.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »

after 6 years behind a batwing Harley fairing I traded for a Road Glide.  I never could get used to how far away the windshield was.  Felt like I was sitting on the back seat.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

Puzzled, and others educate me please!  Having been a Street Glide guy my dealer is working on a price for me on the 18 2 tone grey SG and 2 tone grey RG. No I am not buying 2 bikes, but keeping my option open on one or the other.  At 5'8" the SG has fit me prefect but in looking at the dimensions I see the RG will actually put me closer to the ground.  Both bikes are to include Reduced reach bars as I am short in the arms and arm fatigue is a big issue for me on my present SG.  Both bikes priced with matching King Tour Pak and rest of normal accessories.   Pretend you are a salesman and tell me why I would want the RG over the SG.  What is the big front wheel going to do for me other than looks? etc etc etc.  I have never road a RG but my buddies that have them love them.  3 Ultras before getting into the SG's.  I always found the SG less top heavy and better balanced for my height compared to the Ultra.  FYI up here in Canada now the SG is listing at $50 and the RG at $53!!!!

Everything on Harleys is about the looks.  Either you like the looks of the batwing or the sharknose.

I've had two newer Harleys, an '08 SERK with big windshield and my current '09 SERG and I have a large Clear View on it.

When I walked into the Rapid City Convention Center at Sturgis in '08, I saw the back ends of the three new SERG's and fell in love with the look.  To be honest if they had been SESG's instead of the SERG's, I would be riding a SESG now instead.  I was ignorant of any pro/con of either.

I've grown to love the RG setup and can now look back and see how much I fought the side winds around here with the RK.  Although the RK was not a batwing bike, the big windshield acted very much like one.

I really don't believe you can go wrong with either, they're just different in some ways and as you've seen, there's good arguments for both.

So again, what do you like?  Bat or Shark?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

jcd520

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »

after further research on the "no lowers on CVO RG " this is what I have discovered.
I have physically looked at and measured them in person. The rear fairing support brackets must be replaced as they have a crossbrace that bolts to the top hole in the frame where the larger engine guard will have to go.
At that point fairing lowers will no doubt bolt right on the normal engine guard with no problems. What I don't know is why the moco says that lowers WILL NOT work with the knockout wheel(21") and knockout wheels will not work with fairing lowers.
Its as if they are suggesting their is a clearance or handling problem that is not stated.
I don't believe that, as I have seen MANY RG's with 21" front wheels, and the fender does not hit the lowers. Also , the black earth /vivid black RG would take vivid black lowers anyway so color match would not be a problem--------as for the orange one, I don't know.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »

after further research on the "no lowers on CVO RG " this is what I have discovered.
I have physically looked at and measured them in person. The rear fairing support brackets must be replaced as they have a crossbrace that bolts to the top hole in the frame where the larger engine guard will have to go.
At that point fairing lowers will no doubt bolt right on the normal engine guard with no problems. What I don't know is why the moco says that lowers WILL NOT work with the knockout wheel(21") and knockout wheels will not work with fairing lowers.
Its as if they are suggesting their is a clearance or handling problem that is not stated.
I don't believe that, as I have seen MANY RG's with 21" front wheels, and the fender does not hit the lowers. Also , the black earth /vivid black RG would take vivid black lowers anyway so color match would not be a problem--------as for the orange one, I don't know.

That is great information and thanks for sharing. So does anyone think that once the above mentioned process is completed and the lowers are installed and we're rocking another 300 watts in our 6.5s that we're all going to install in our new lowers, lol, that there will be a clearance issue with the fender (which is the same dimensions on all the touring bikes) and the top crossbar of the crash bar being that there is supposedly more travel in the front end with this new suspension especially since it has been lowered an inch (or so) with the addition of the 21" wheel and maybe, just maybe there is a chance that the two could connect on a big bump therefore Harley says that this combo is incompatible?? I've had 21s on touring bikes in the past like others here with no issues and even had the front suspension lowered 2" but it was with progressives springs which were pretty stiff. That's my .02 at least for now. :-)
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

noharley

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

Hell. I'm gullible enough to anticipate stubby soft lower zip ups.
12" Yaffees
KW 9" Sport Flare
V&H Header/FP3
Rinehart Motopro 45
Legend Revo A
Legend Axeo Cartridges

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »

Everything on Harleys is about the looks.  Either you like the looks of the batwing or the sharknose.

I

When I walked into the Rapid City Convention Center at Sturgis in '08, I saw the back ends of the three new SERG's and fell in love with the look. 

Salesman whom I am s very good friend of kept telling my I wanted a road glide, not a street glide.  I kept telling him call me as soon as there is a CVO Street Glide.  I told him the road glide was Fugly.  Well he texted me pictures of the 09 CVO Road Glides from Stugis.  I really loved the rear ends also.  He talked me into buying one. 

A year later in Vegas my wife and I rented bikes, they did not have a rental road glide.  So I rented a street glide, I felt very confined, like the fairing was on my lap.  Hated it, called my friend the salesman and thanked him for talking me into a Road glide.

I put 47K on the 09 SERG, I put just over 46K on the 12 SERG, and I put 44k on the 15 SERGU.  Now on an 18 SERG.

Looks of the road glide have gown on me a lot, I now think it looks better then the street glide.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:57:36 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 22 queries.