Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: From Sturgis and the Black Hills....across the country and back....  (Read 16493 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Sturgis and the Black Hills....a rally of one.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »

Sure wish I'd I known you were in East Texas...I live only 45 miles away on the other side of Tyler. Unfortunately, I'm in Houston through Thursday afternoon, so looks like I will miss ya this go around! I still owe you BBQ and  beer for helping me with the NorCal routing!

I just had work done at Lone Star HD.....new shocks (see my review in the suspension board) and tires.  I belong to Tyler Elks Lodge and have been over there a few times since I got here.  I'll be back in Oct.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »

]The sign at Spokane Creek Campground (at the end of the wild life loop.....or the begining, depending on which way you're going) is new.  I'd never seen it before and it was very fresh paint.  I'm thinking they did it just before the rally this year.  Next year it'll be a busy place to stop and get your pic taken with the signs.  Nice RV park and campground and store there, also. 

I'm pretty sure they did it after the 2017 rally cuz it wasn't there when i was there in August. Really great job with the pics. Whole different feel without half a million friends riding with you.
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:37 AM »

Yes Tim, it was very different without the hundreds of thousands of other bikes in the area.  At the dealership they were able to take me right in.  Riding the Black Hills was almost lonely.  LOL   But I was truely enjoying every minute of it.  I went back several times in that week or ten days that I was there.  Looking forward to spending an entire summer there.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »

I just had work done at Lone Star HD.....new shocks (see my review in the suspension board) and tires.  I belong to Tyler Elks Lodge and have been over there a few times since I got here.  I'll be back in Oct.

Very nice report on the shocks. Glad Orrin was able to take care of you. I need to do something regarding my suspension and will consider SS more seriously now. And I’ll try to keep better track of you so we can hook-up in the Fall, when the Riding is MUCH better here.

P.S. if you haven’t yet, consider running over to Jefferson before you leave the area - historic town with some interesting shopping and great food.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »

Here we are waiting to get thru the tunnel. The camper only had inches to make it thru.      Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »

When i was there during the rally, one of the days we didn't get a particularly early start for Needles Hwy and the surrounding area...and it was PACKED. Miles and miles of bikes stacked up and not moving very quickly. So, the next day we got up much earlier and made a beeline for the Pigtail bridges and the nearby tunnels and rode thru there back and forth for at least two hours with it all to ourselves. Took a ton of cool pics and totally enjoyed the riding. I may have to follow your example and do an off season ride up there to see more of the area. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ridden. I really enjoy the loop of Needles Highway. I think I've done it at least ten times thru all different kinds of weather, lol, didn't care much for the rain deluges tho.
Thanks again for posting the pics.
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »

If you come this summer, shoot me a note.  I'll be in Rapid City from May 1 to the end of Sept.  It's our home base, now that we're retired.

Our first morning of waking up here in Umatilla, Florida and the TV news just said it's 9F to 17F warmer than it was yesterday morning, in this area.  Think I'll go for a long ride today!   :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »

I just saw this and wanted to say thanks for posting!  This is great and brings back so many memories!  I have got to get back up there. My father is from SD and I have relatives in Deadwood so there is no excuse for me! I just have to go do it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »

Back in 2006 when me, Andy and Jonga were heading from Atlanta back to California we met and hooked up with Jock for the ride west.  Since then, we've rode together in California, Colorado, Oregon, Florida and all the states from Chattanooga to Cripple Creek, Colorado.

Jock came down to our current home base here in Umatilla, Florida for a visit and dinner at The Mason Jar....

Thanks a bunch for stopping by and catching up on old times Jock.  Look forward to riding with you again in the near future.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:37:26 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »

And you might think this place is in Texas but No......it's in Florida.  And for the record....I've always been accused of eating like nobody's watching....

West Coast GTG   

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »

The waitress on the right hasn't missed to many meals!!.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »

Back in 2006 when me, Andy and Jonga were heading from Atlanta back to California we met and hooked up with Jock for the ride west.  Since then, we've rode together in California, Colorado, Oregon, Florida and all the states from Chattanooga to Cripple Creek, Colorado.

Jock came down to our current home base here in Umatilla, Florida for a visit and dinner at The Mason Jar....

Thanks a bunch for stopping by and catching up on old times Jock.  Look forward to riding with you again in the near future.   :2vrolijk_21:

The mason jar is a Great breakfast stop.   The country ham breakfast is a meal for two.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 05:53:55 PM »

The mason jar is a Great breakfast stop.   The country ham breakfast is a meal for two.
:bananarock:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »

Any of you guys in this area ready to roll and don't mind a foreigner taggin along, give me a heads up and I'll try to roll with you guys.   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »

JCZ expecting to ride this weekend :)  lets catch up on Friday and look at weather and timing :)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 23 queries.