Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bodie ghost town?  (Read 1277 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Bodie ghost town?
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:04:25 PM »

Not sure if this is the right forum... but have any of you guys been to Bodie ghost town in the Sierras on your bike? Is the road from 395 back to the town Harley friendly? I know it's not paved, but that can mean anything.

Thanks!
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Bodie ghost town?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »

I think you can do it on your bike if you just take it slow.  In the summer months it's very dusty.  I've never taken it on my bike but I've been there in my truck a couple of times.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »

I found a YT video of a guy on an adventure bike going back there JC, if it was a half mile or something then maybe... but it's like 13 miles. I think we're just going to loop through the west side of Death Valley tomorrow then head up to Bishop. Try to figure out something more interesting than the 395 on the way home. ;) I think I'll leave Bodie for the Jeep.

What are you doing in Florida? Did you move? Sorry... been away from the site for a while.
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »

he picked up a kick azz toy hauler and now is a full time snow bird... i think????  cant wait for my retirement to get started   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »

I found a YT video of a guy on an adventure bike going back there JC, if it was a half mile or something then maybe... but it's like 13 miles. I think we're just going to loop through the west side of Death Valley tomorrow then head up to Bishop. Try to figure out something more interesting than the 395 on the way home. ;) I think I'll leave Bodie for the Jeep.

What are you doing in Florida? Did you move? Sorry... been away from the site for a while.

OK, it seems I rode my 86 Heritage out there during one of the Bridgeport Jamboree's (I believe it was the late 80s) however, I don't remember that.  I do remember the hail as I rode over the Sierra Nevada mountain range, no windshield, no fairing and no full face helmet....miserable!

I retired there in San Diego on Sept. 12 and we've been on the road every since.  Some great times and some great rides!  Colorado, Black Hills, Ozarks, Tex. and now Florida.......   https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111630.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »

Awesome, congrats my man. I have to work today but I'll check out your travels tonight... We're thinking of doing the Ozarks this the spring, and hopefully Nathez Trace and the Smokies in the fall.

I've been caught in sleet/hail before, including for a brief period last June in Montana. I don't care how your'e dressed or outfitted it just sucks!

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »

Having just visited Bodie I wouldn't dare take a non-dualsport bike on that road. Heavy wash-board and dust, though did see some German tourists on rental Harley's there.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »

I have visited Bodie several times on my bike and YES it is both dusty and badly washed boarded.  It is slow going and the cars just want to pass you since they don’t understand how the wash board surface and a motorcycle work together. It is worth the trip if you are there. Better in a car but don’t miss it if you get the chance.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »

Thanks everyone... yeah that's what I pretty much gathered. I'm thinking of picking up an adventure bike for places like that... KTM or BMW, what say you?  :P Ohhhhh another thread perhaps.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.