Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mirrors turn vertical with full throttle take-off  (Read 1193 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
Mirrors turn vertical with full throttle take-off
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »

Okay, at risk of being laughed at, I have a question I've been meaning to ask for more than a year. After I had the 117 kit and head work done on my Breakout, it went over 130 torque. I realize it's the same with most others. But when I twist the throttle and run bull bore to 60 mph or more, my side mirrors turn fully vertical! They are not loose. Actually, I have to put a fair amount of hand pressure on them to readjust. Sucks when you're racing someone (very seldom) and you can't tell where they are because your mirrors are straight up and down! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to stiffen the mirrors with some type of sticky substance?
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
Re: Mirrors turn vertical with full throttle take-off
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »

Just a thought, if the mirrors can not be tightened, maybe a drop of super glue on the socket and then swivel the mirror to spread the glue around the mirror socket before positioning them for rear viewing would do the trick.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »

I'm not familiar with the particular mirrors on your bike, but many motorcycle mirrors over the years have had an adjustment screw to tighten or loosen the pivot.  Is there a removable cover on the back of the mirror that might be hiding such an adjustment?

If you didn't have this problem at high speeds before the engine work, odds are the problem is occurring due to more vibration being transmitted to the bars and then the mirrors since that work was performed.  Check your bar mounts.

Btw, if there really isn't an accessible adjustment, you could try a drop of the thin wicking type of Loctite, I think it's green.  Work the mirror head around to spread it in the socket, then adjust the mirror and let it set for awhile.

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:45:55 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »

Thanks, I'll look for the green loctite. It's not high speed that does it. I can cruise at 80 all day with no problem, but when I hit it hard, even from 20 mph to 60 or above they turn. Full vertical at 80 mph. Anyway, thanks for the tip. There is no adjustment on my mirrors so I'll try your suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:35:50 AM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »

Thanks, I'll look for the green loctite. It's not high speed that does it. I can cruise at 80 all day with no problem, but when I hit it hard, even from 20 mph to 60 or above they turn. Full vertical at 80 mph. Anyway, thanks for the tip. There is no adjustment on my mirrors so I'll try your suggestion.

Jerry is correct, Loctite make a wicking grade Loctite in both green and red. Both are high strength Loctites and will not break loose easily so be sure you have them where you want them
Most great stores start with a bad decision

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »

I have run in to a similar issue. Well normal cruising and even more so at highway speed my mirror will slowly rotate until almost vertical, but from downward rotation.. One day while the riding I had a moment of inspiration or maybe frustration and rotated my mirror a full rotation clockwise and it seems to have stopped the problem.

It does make me wonder what these are like in internally. Maybe there is some adjustment or tension device we just don't know about
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:22:04 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.