Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: A "General CVO Discussion".......or observation  (Read 8842 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: A "General CVO Discussion".......or observation
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »

The koolaid is the vision of freedom on the road, which can be had with any motorcycle. It all depends on the flavor you want.  American in leather, Euro in cordura, or Japanese in ballistic nylon.  But it’s hard to be free when your bike is in the  shop for sumping, lifters, gasket leaks, runout, compensators and all that.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 06:50:59 PM »

The koolaid is the vision of freedom on the road, which can be had with any motorcycle. It all depends on the flavor you want.  American in leather, Euro in cordura, or Japanese in ballistic nylon.  But it’s hard to be free when your bike is in the  shop for sumping, lifters, gasket leaks, runout, compensators and all that.

Totally agree with that post. Wife pokes fun at me from time to time over the statement you made. While out riding we see people on all kinds and type and the comment is usually made at some point through the day about how it doesn't matter what they ride they are on 2 wheels....then she will ask about buying a goldwing and I start eating my words...lol. More Kool Aid
Most great stores start with a bad decision

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »

I always kinda felt "Polly Anna" here posting all the mods, rides and passion I have for Harley and honestly felt terrible posting all the problems I have had with the 3 blown motors in the last few months. I stopped posting updates with my M8 because its just bad news all around and I didn't want to be negative with all my posts and bum anyone else out. I don't think you could drink more Kool Aid than I have in the last 22 years I have been riding Harleys exclusively. Unfortunately going through what I have this year has changed that a bit for me and I will be doing what I thought I would never do-buy a BMW. My 12 Roadglide is running great and I always intend to have a CVO Harley but this situation has forced me to "open my eyes" to other brands. No doubt if I didn't go through what I did with 3 motors sumping in 2 months I never would have set the Kool Aid down but it did.
This to me is exactly what JC and others in this post are talking about. When I read others posts about their motors sumping and getting new motors and the crazy stories the MOCO is telling them (same as they did with me) it kills me. Their stories are exactly same as mine and it is just a complete shame that this is happening to a group of such loyal and passionate ambassadors of the brand. Just have to hope they will stop making excuses and blaming  others and engineer the correction for this new motor so we can all get back to chugging the sauce..
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »

I always kinda felt "Polly Anna" here posting all the mods, rides and passion I have for Harley and honestly felt terrible posting all the problems I have had with the 3 blown motors in the last few months. I stopped posting updates with my M8 because its just bad news all around and I didn't want to be negative with all my posts and bum anyone else out. I don't think you could drink more Kool Aid than I have in the last 22 years I have been riding Harleys exclusively. Unfortunately going through what I have this year has changed that a bit for me and I will be doing what I thought I would never do-buy a BMW. My 12 Roadglide is running great and I always intend to have a CVO Harley but this situation has forced me to "open my eyes" to other brands. No doubt if I didn't go through what I did with 3 motors sumping in 2 months I never would have set the Kool Aid down but it did.
This to me is exactly what JC and others in this post are talking about. When I read others posts about their motors sumping and getting new motors and the crazy stories the MOCO is telling them (same as they did with me) it kills me. Their stories are exactly same as mine and it is just a complete shame that this is happening to a group of such loyal and passionate ambassadors of the brand. Just have to hope they will stop making excuses and blaming  others and engineer the correction for this new motor so we can all get back to chugging the sauce..

Faded memories of when the kool-aide was really good......my pan/shovel.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »

Even in the days of the Evo motor.....when we "thought" we had problems (nothing compared to today's problems)....faded memories of the good kool aide days....
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

Even in the days of the Evo motor.....when we "thought" we had problems (nothing compared to today's problems)....faded memories of the good kool aide days....

Great photos ...took me back to the good old days.....Low tech ....carbonated and easy to maintain

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »

I joined this forum in 2014 and was the first to have the SE 117 kit installed. I got lots of positive comments but a lot of negative comments too. Screamin' Eagle parts are inferior; the 270 cam isnt as good as the S&S cams; my lifters are going to blow; the kit might not last 5000 miles and more. After a bit, I worried that the cylinders were warped, cams were inferior, engine would blow up. I mean really worried from all the negative stuff I saw on this forum. I even commented about it to a few members. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have no complaints about Harley-Davidson. My 2014 Breakout is my third Harley. Never an issue with any Harley I owned with the exception of a gasket leak once in a blue moon. My 117 kit has 8000 miles without a hiccup. Every time I ride I get a thumbs up, smiles, and positive comments about the paint job, wheels, etc. on my CVO.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »

Great photos ...took me back to the good old days.....Low tech ....carbonated and easy to maintain

And that's the issue that HD is having. The more they "improve" the product, the more problems they have. Now granted they have to improve to meet all the regulations and guidelines. But by and large none of the other bike makers seem to have the wholesale issues HD is having.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »

I feel the pain for all of you that have problems, I am a diehard Harley rider and will stay that way. If something breaks, I get it fixed. I ride Harleys for the fellowship and make instant friends no matter where I ride in this great country. After 45 years of riding and owning 27 bikes, half being Harleys since the 90's that's where I'm at. If there are less diehards out there, so be it.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »

Great pics JC!! And every time you mounted that beast whatever problems there was for the day magical went away.

Guy living across the street still rides his Evo from time to time and every time he rolls it out of the garage and starts it I want to throw rocks at my 09. Just can't beat that sound
Most great stores start with a bad decision

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »

Like many of you I have ridden Harleys for a long time, and I will continue to do so until I can't ride any more. I like my CVO and as a matter fact we just bought a 2013 SERK for my wife last week. Yep they have some problems, some of those problems are also self induced. Engine mods to go faster, sound better and so on have some inherent risk. I am in process of going 117 so I am in that boat too. But "Stage" upgrades cost money and with a 110 or M8's it's already pretty big considering the rather old platform of it's basic engineering. 

Everybody gets on here and belly aches about the widget that let loose and so on. I understand that as I bought my SERG new and when you fork out those kind of green backs you want it to last forever. But as it's  been said "back in the AMF days".... I bought a brand new Low Rider for more than most cars cost and I couldn't even make it to Sturgis and back without major break downs BOTH ways, and then I also had to ride over 900 miles without ANY brakes because nobody had the parts. I would like to see that thread today.

You don't see posts about how good something is because that isn't how most folks use these forums. However if a question is asked about something specific many times there are some really good reviews. I would agree that things have taken more of a negative form but I always read the threads with a gain of salt. The knowledge base on this forum is HUGE with lots of great information, sometimes it isn't what you want to hear but that's life.

I have only attended one GTG, but would very much enjoy doing more. The cards I got dealt don't allow me to ride a lot anymore so that prohibits some of my participation (Damn Back).

I still hold some Harley Stock so I am one the SOB's that is causing the decrease in product quality. I know JC you had to do way more wrenching on that Pan then your CVO, right? When I compare my current bikes (13 SERG, 03 Fatboy and new to us 13SERK) my required wrench time to ride time is nothing compared to Iron Heads, Shovels, Pans and Knuckles. So with that in mind the quality has come a long way. Granted it still has a long way to go too!  I know I should sell my stock, should have done it a couple years back but emotion is never a good thing when coupled with investing.

It does break my heart to see so much talk about moving over to other brands!

I have had Harleys for about 45 years and never had one yet that didn't have some form of a major pain in the ass. But it was pretty much know and it still is. Hell, Harley has been making qualified Technicians out of riders since 1903!

I get off now  :soapbox:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »

these forums, well, they all do that. its normal,right?!  :confused5:

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »

It does break my heart to see so much talk about moving over to other brands!

I have had Harleys for about 45 years and never had one yet that didn't have some form of a major pain in the ass. But it was pretty much know and it still is. Hell, Harley has been making qualified Technicians out of riders since 1903!

I get off now  :soapbox:
Amen brother!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »

One of the reasons I did not want a HD in the 70s, 80s, & 90s was the unreliability of the bikes.  Oil leakers, jokes about marking their territory were true, saw more than a few pans under HDs to catch the oil that leaked out.  Not especially powerful, not especially easy to handle. expensive, and the other joke was you needed to be a mechanic - or you would be soon enough - if you rode one. The other main reason was expense - power bang for the buck was not that great compared to other bikes.  The AMF deal sure didn't help matters any, they began to do better after that buyback no doubt. 

Why the trip down memory lane?  While I didn't own a Harley, riding buddies did and I rode more than a few of theirs.  Nice & shiny & heavy but nope, was not impressed.  Recall more than a few hours on the sides of roads, at gas stations, looking for a garage, pushing them, etc. etc. & meanwhile the rest of us non HD guys scratched our heads & wondered WTF?  HDs broke down more than what the rest of us were riding. 

I drank the HD Kool-aide in 2001.  Bikes were better than they had been - still some problems with the earlier twin cams.  Had a RK Classic that I loved long time, rode like a dream.  Not the fastest or most nimble bike, but for a 46 year old iski it was what I wanted.  My 2007 SE Ultra sucked gnat balls - a POS that for a year was reliable & then never was. Happy to see it gone. 2010 SE Ultra was a great bike, my 2017 CVO Limited is easily the best of all of them, hands down. 

I realize it's not the same - my not owning a Harley since the 1960s, but I was around them enough to know enough.  And those HD riders bitched plenty about their rides & why stuff broke & leaked.  Also heard bitching about German & Jap bikes, a twist of the throttle on the bike I was on made that noise go faint to nothing in a hurry.  Memories fade the bad chit & the lousier stuff.  "Fond" memories of carburetor HDs that choked in the mountains or on a very cold morning & refused to start?  If you say so.  HDs now are more reliable that they once were.  Room for improvement? Hells bells you betcha.  Some M8s are bum steers?  No doubt about it. Overpriced for the market?  Maybe since that is a factor when sales lag.  What's the fix?  Do not see one.  As long as younger generations are more interested in things other than motorcycles, sales will lag.  KC closing was just the beginning.  Expect layoffs in York as well as WI before too long.  Unless the "100 new HD models" turns that all around and riders learn to live better, electrically.  Dunno. Doubtful, very doubtful.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »

Well, whatever the reasons, I'd just like to see more participation in GTGs and other social events.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.