Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Mid Frame Deflectors  (Read 8425 times)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
Re: Mid Frame Deflectors
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 04:51:53 AM »

so i got my mid frame deflectors today.  have not ridden yet, too damned hot....  (what am i gonna do come august  :confused5:)

the good:

oooh, shiny (though they do come in matte and chrome as well)
the price.  $22 all in
quick shipping.  ordered sat.  arrived monday.
I think the 14 and up has the threaded rescticbles     
the bad:

hardware packet is a joke.  you get 4 bolts and 4 washers.  i don't know about anyone else, but my wife's 2012 and my 2013 do not have threaded receptacles on the frame and getting a nut behind them is an exercise in futility.  finally, after a couple of trips to the hardware store, and scrounging through my old parts, i have something that will work for now.  for the top hole, i got a couple of automotive push pins from lowes.  unfortunately, they aren't as tight as i would like, though they are definitely secure.  for the bottom, i had saved the blind nuts and screws from an old harley helmet before i trashed it.  the blind nuts fit perfectly, and bonus, the screws have a little b&s on them   :2vrolijk_21: 

so for now, i think the black looks fine for my bike, and i'll give these a shot and see how i like them.  price was definitely great, if they don't work, then i'm not out that much.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 07:04:32 AM »

Chains, how do they mount(hardware)? nothing on the website. Thanks.

since you haven't gotten a response yet, i'll help you out here.  on the top side, they are held under the tank, and by a piece of velcro along the frame.  also the 2 halves have an eyelet on them, you can run a piece of string between them.  on the bottom, they go behind your side cover. 

i actually have a set of the rjs , but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 07:38:46 AM »

since you haven't gotten a response yet, i'll help you out here.  on the top side, they are held under the tank, and by a piece of velcro along the frame.  also the 2 halves have an eyelet on them, you can run a piece of string between them.  on the bottom, they go behind your side cover. 

i actually have a set of the rjs , but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them

skratch, "but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them".....  More heat? TY

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »

sorry, too early.  i noticed less heat with the hd mid frame air deflectors than i did with the rjs originals.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

Is that high temp string? :huepfenjump3:

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »

I honk they look cool but they were a Bee to get on my 15 Road Glide
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

Chains, how do they mount(hardware)? nothing on the website. Thanks.

There are two elongated holes one on each deflector and a hole for the extra long wire tie that comes with it. You take the rear tank bolts out lift the back of the tank and slide each side in place. Once you have them in the proper position tighten the tank bolts and use the wire tie to secure the rear to the framework. There is no mention of string and or Velcro and none is included.  The intended purpose of them is to deflect heat when at a traffic light and or when going slow through town. I find them to work. The plastic Harley ones are a neat decoration to hide the frame. For me with the Tri Glide I wanted the heat relief.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-and-freewheeler-models/550510-tg-modifications-the-abc-s-of-removing-rider-heat-a-b-c.html

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

There are two elongated holes one on each deflector and a hole for the extra long wire tie that comes with it. You take the rear tank bolts out lift the back of the tank and slide each side in place. Once you have them in the proper position tighten the tank bolts and use the wire tie to secure the rear to the framework. There is no mention of string and or Velcro and none is included.  The intended purpose of them is to deflect heat when at a traffic light and or when going slow through town. I find them to work. The plastic Harley ones are a neat decoration to hide the frame. For me with the Tri Glide I wanted the heat relief.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-and-freewheeler-models/550510-tg-modifications-the-abc-s-of-removing-rider-heat-a-b-c.html

the ones that i bought back in 07 did not mount that way.  yes, they did mount under the tank, but otherwise, everything that you said didn't exist, and everything that i said above did.  fwiw, i didn't use the string to tie the two sides together, never had any problem with them coming loose or anything.

i'm glad they work for you.  they didn't do so much for me.  i get much better results with the decorative plastic harley ones.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »

the ones that i bought back in 07 did not mount that way.  yes, they did mount under the tank, but otherwise, everything that you said didn't exist, and everything that i said above did.  fwiw, i didn't use the string to tie the two sides together, never had any problem with them coming loose or anything.

i'm glad they work for you.  they didn't do so much for me.  i get much better results with the decorative plastic harley ones.

They do a great job of knocking down the temperature just like the article from 2010 I attached confirmed. The article comparing RJS products to Harley's product was a test on a Tri Glide which gets much hotter than a two wheeler .  The right side and the left are mirror image on the HD design. Since each side of the bike is different you do not get good results using the same design on each side of the bike or trike. The RJS Originals design took this into consideration and designed an efficient way of knocking down the heat in stopped or slow speed conditions.  If I still was on two wheels I'm sure I may have stuck with the painted ones because I do like the look and the seamless flow it gives the bike.  Since I'm not I chose function over looks.

By the way I did some checking and in 2007 they did include velcro for attachment in one area but there is no mention of string or tying the two sides together.

If RJS heat shields are mounted behind the side covers it is an improper installation and they will not work as the design intended. The only part that goes behind the cover is the small tab in the RH side.  When installed properly they work well.   RJS invented and patented the heat shields in 1999, Harley never wanted to admit they had a heat problem and took about 9 years before they contracted an Asian firm to mold their shields for them. An important thing to me besides the RJS product working is they are made in American and by a veteran owned company. 

Here is a photo of the RH side showing proper installation
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

whatever works.

2 things, the plastic deflectors are not a mirror image of each other.  and, if my earlier post made it sound like the whole thing went under the side cover, that was not what I meant.  like you mentioned, it's only the 'bulb' at the end of the deflector.  also, the bit about the string tieing the 2 sides together was not a must-do.  the instructions merely mentioned it as an additional safety measure.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »

Don’t mean to upset you I was going by what your post said and trying to make sure everyone knew that RJS Originals is a good company with great product, no strings attached lol. The shape of the Harley covers is the same from side to side the only difference I can find is the LH has a notch to accommodate a self adjusting driver backrest lever. Just lay them side by side and look.

As far as the string goes I just got off the phone with the owner of RJS Originals yes they are open 7 days a week. I ask him about the string reference and had him read me the instructions for an 07. No mention of string just wire ties to secure for possible theft since the 07 only had one tank bolt and they slid under the tank then the Velcro to secure to the frame. Once the seat is on it to holds them in place.

Enjoy your painted covers they do complete the bike and make for an awesome look.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »

nah man, not upset.  just saying that what works for some, may not work for others and whatever one finds that works is a good thing.

no question, rjs originals is a good company, not disputing that at all.

and there really was a reference to string on my instructions, but I don't have them anymore.  but it really isn't a big deal

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

nah man, not upset.  just saying that what works for some, may not work for others and whatever one finds that works is a good thing.

no question, rjs originals is a good company, not disputing that at all.

I wish I could run the painted ones on the Tri Glide, i paid to have mine color matched but the big fenders on the box just stop the heat right at the passenger.   If the fenders where metal I would louver the part facing forward to let some of the heat escape.  MOCO needs to do a better job on heat dissipation on trikes. Ride safe

I do have the instructions for that model year if you would like to see them
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:25:58 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Leadwolf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »

I installed the RJS originals and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.