Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: BMW K1600B on the dyno!  (Read 12795 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: BMW K1600B on the dyno!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »

I can't believe anyone is even considering this......won't you miss being Harley's guinea pig?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »

Making progress on the exhaust. Joker Machine recently relocated to Havasu. They have quite a selection of billet running boards and pegs ect. I will be dropping by there shop this week to discuss a few ideas.

https://jokermachine.com/collections/footpegs

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:23:45 PM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »

Steve; looking forward to new accessories. Could not be happier to see you with a B.

After 28 years on Harleys including a CVO Electraglide and a 14 Ultra Limited I made the big switch, not knocking Harleys but made the mistake of test riding a 18 K1600B or Bagger and fell in Love, purchased mine last October. The bike amazes me every time I ride. Not just the performance, the handling and comfort. There is simply no comparison.

Please design some nice upgrades including a exhaust system. One that's not 2 grand :).

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »

Steve; looking forward to new accessories. Could not be happier to see you with a B.

After 28 years on Harleys including a CVO Electraglide and a 14 Ultra Limited I made the big switch, not knocking Harleys but made the mistake of test riding a 18 K1600B or Bagger and fell in Love, purchased mine last October. The bike amazes me every time I ride. Not just the performance, the handling and comfort. There is simply no comparison.

Please design some nice upgrades including a exhaust system. One that's not 2 grand :).

Thanks again

Working on some reasonably priced slips ons!

I took the 2017 RGS out for a ride today after riding only the 1600B for the last few weeks. I couldn't believe the amount of effort it took to ride it. Every crack in the road became noticeable. The BMW is a Supermodel. You get used to riding that it's going to be hard to climb on the old Hog with out a paper bag.

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:21:40 PM by Fullsac Performance »

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

I took the 2017 RGS out for a ride today after riding only the 1600B for the last few weeks. I couldn't believe the amount of effort it took to ride it. Every crack in the road became noticeable. The BMW is a Supermodel. You get used to riding that it's going to be hard to climb on the old Hog with out a paper bag.

Steve@fullsac.com
Looking forward to your products.

In my opinion Harley is in a tough spot. Customers demand a 45 degree V-Twin, the traditional look and features that frankly don't deliver anything other than style. As long as Harley follows those guidelines, they will never compete with bikes like the BMW.

The K1600 line was developed as a whole package, each major component complementing the other. BMW closed down their F1 racing center, the facility was given to Motorrad, the motorcycle division. That's where the K1600 6cyl was developed. Again, in my opinion, the best motorcycle engine ever developed for a touring bike. It's simply not possible to develop a competitive V-Twin that passes EPA and last 100,000 miles in the hands of the average consumer.

Sorry for the long post, congratulations on your B.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »

Steve@fullsac.com
As you know Steve the biggest complaint on the BMW forum as well as what the local BMW dealer is telling me is lack of accesories and mods for the Bagger. I think what you have going will be a homerun! Do you know if the slip-ons you are working on will work with the Remus header?
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 12:03:03 AM »

Steve@fullsac.com

So the BMW rides better, accelerates better, goes faster, handles better, has more modern systems, and if you believe what is written competent systems integration.  So the BMW must cost thousands more than the Harley.....  :oops:

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 02:06:06 AM »

So the BMW rides better, accelerates better, goes faster, handles better, has more modern systems, and if you believe what is written competent systems integration.  So the BMW must cost thousands more than the Harley.....  :oops:

That did make me chuckle.

Although riding my new K1600GT Sport this morning there are a few things I'll miss from the CVO Streetglide;

Harley's infotainment screen is way bigger than the BMW nav - although it has to be said; I had one replacement head unit on my first Streetglide in 12 months and had to be replaced on my 2nd' Streetglide in an 18 month period.

The 2 thumb joysticks on the HD are easier and more intuitive to use than the BMW controls

The speakers on the BM are pretty feeble - not in the same league as the system on the CVO Streetglide

Backlit switchgear - BMW doesn't have it

I'd grown to like the HD top opening panniers/bags - found them easier to live with on a day to day basis, easier for carrying a laptop bag, usable whilst on the bike (e.g. if the sun disappeared I could just pull over and drop my sunglasses in the bag). Having said that the GT panniers will easily hold my crash helmet which is useful when nipping into town and don't lose space to speakers / amp / wires.

And that's about it, just minor stuff - in every other respect the BM wins hands down and by a significant margin.  Resale prices on used CVOs in the UK are not great, but thankfully I only had to find a couple of grand to move on from my 3 year old FLHXSE to a brand new fully loaded K16GT Sport.     

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »

That did make me chuckle.

And that's about it, just minor stuff - in every other respect the BM wins hands down and by a significant margin. Resale prices on used CVOs in the UK are not great, but thankfully I only had to find a couple of grand to move on from my 3 year old FLHXSE to a brand new fully loaded K16GT Sport.     

Resale prices on used CVOs in the USA are not great!   Jusayinzall     :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »

As you know Steve the biggest complaint on the BMW forum as well as what the local BMW dealer is telling me is lack of accesories and mods for the Bagger. I think what you have going will be a homerun! Do you know if the slip-ons you are working on will work with the Remus header?

Remus sells there quad exit mufflers as slip ons only. Pretty sure those are the same mufflers you get when you go with the full non cat system. From that I have to assume their non cat headpipes are a direct replacement that will accept stock mufflers too.I have no plans of removing or even testing a non cat headpipe on mine as I have no means of tuning the ECM. The first back to back dyno test I did was to simply remove the stock mufflers. To my surprise it made zero difference in power and AFR. Of course sound levels went way up. Good news is the bike has so much power stock making more is not really needed for Touring duty. So slip ons only will provide better sound and looks for those who aren't attracted to the stock monster mufflers. Kinda like a Harley but power increase will be very close to zero. I do have a luggage rack already mocked up that will accept a passenger back rest. I am playing with footpegs and relocated running boards on mine but unsure if any of that will see production. I seem to be the only one really unhappy with the floor board arrangement?

Steve@fullsac.com

JerseyT

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »

Been riding Harleys for 50 years now, but I can see a test ride on the 1600B in my future.  Steve, the development work that you are doing is fantastic.  Please keep this thread alive.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 11:58:27 PM »

Remus sells there quad exit mufflers as slip ons only. Pretty sure those are the same mufflers you get when you go with the full non cat system. From that I have to assume their non cat headpipes are a direct replacement that will accept stock mufflers too.I have no plans of removing or even testing a non cat headpipe on mine as I have no means of tuning the ECM. The first back to back dyno test I did was to simply remove the stock mufflers. To my surprise it made zero difference in power and AFR. Of course sound levels went way up. Good news is the bike has so much power stock making more is not really needed for Touring duty. So slip ons only will provide better sound and looks for those who aren't attracted to the stock monster mufflers. Kinda like a Harley but power increase will be very close to zero. I do have a luggage rack already mocked up that will accept a passenger back rest. I am playing with footpegs and relocated running boards on mine but unsure if any of that will see production. I seem to be the only one really unhappy with the floor board arrangement?
I would be all over relocating the boards for sure and I have to believe many others feel the same way!

Steve@fullsac.com
Alan

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »

Steve@fullsac.com

Pretty sure anytime I looked at alternative headers for BMW from Remus (or Akrapovic or Laser or other) they were compatible with the stock mufflers. Makes sense when there are limited options to change the exhaust routing due to bags etc.

There was a distributor for Remus in the USA that would also provide a booster plug if you wanted decat headers - the booster plug is a simple "resistor fiddle" on the air temp sensor on the airbox to chuck in a little more fuel. I got one for a 2010 R1200GSA that had an occasional stumble and stall at low speed where the bike was running so lean at factory settings - the booster plug fixed that problem and the bike was a little smoother with no noticeable impact on economy.   

Booster Plug:  https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/bmw-28s1.html
Accelerator Module:  http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/page_BMW.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:21:11 PM by MightyTharg »

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »

Here's our first set of BMW 1600B slip ons that will make it out of the dyno room and on to the street for testing.

Steve@fullsac.com

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »

Any chance these new slip ons will be California certified? Considering your not touching the converter, it seems they should?

Harley certified their street cannon slip ons and they are much louder than stock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 22 queries.